Windows 10: What Cortana-related files can I safely remove from my computer?

Discus and support What Cortana-related files can I safely remove from my computer? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Before upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004 (my current OS), I had made some repeating reminders in Cortana and deleted them. They still showed up in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/vengefulgrapes, Jun 13, 2020.

1. What Cortana-related files can I safely remove from my computer?

Before upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004 (my current OS), I had made some repeating reminders in Cortana and deleted them. They still showed up in Calendar long after, and now they're even showing up in the new Cortana, where she says I can only edit them in To Do--except that they're not in To Do and never were. They don't show up in the Cortana app for iOS and I've removed my Cortana data from Microsoft's privacy page, so I can only assume that they're stored locally on my device. How can I remove these without damaging parts of Cortana that will damage my system?

I've already tried removing the Microsoft Store Cortana app with PowerShell (and reinstalling) and using the old method for disabling Cortana through Registry Editor. So what files can I safely delete?

submitted by /u/vengefulgrapes
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/vengefulgrapes, Jun 13, 2020

2. Safely Remove Hardware - Windows 10

Hi Grant,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand that you have concern about the how to safely removal of external device from Windows 10. I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.

I suggest you to provide you valuable suggestion in the feedback app.

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Type "Windows Feedback" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Then provide your suggestion.

We can also removely safely the external pen drives or external hard drive through below steps.

1. Open File Explorer.

2. It will show the list of Drives available on the computer, then right click on the external drive which you want to remove safely.

3. The click on Eject option from the list.

Let us know if you need any further assistance on Windows related issues and we will be glad to help.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 13, 2020
  3. mfw884 Win User
    Cortana and Search Box no longer working after windows refresh

Hi Nachappa,

Thanks for your quick response. To answer your questions:

• Per your suggestion, I tried Safe Mode. The problems still existed in Safe Mode. As a side note - I realized in the process that my power button has disappeared from the sign in screen, so I had to activate Safe Mode from Settings. Not sure if that is
      related to the Cortana issue or not.
    • I ran sfc/scannow. It came back that there were some corrupted files, but they could not be fixed. I restarted the computer, and the search bar/Cortana still wouldn't work.
    • I ran all three Dism prompts and they all came back as having successfully completed. I restarted the computer, and the search bar/Cortana still wouldn't work.
    What would you suggest as a next step?

Thanks,

Maria

mfw884, Jun 13, 2020
  4. What Cortana-related files can I safely remove from my computer?

Safely Remove Hardware tool

Thank you for the update, Murray. Since you mentioned that you've already tried running the rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll command to no avail, we suggest that you create a shortcut or even a batch file using the same command. Just run
    the shortcut or batch file and see if the Safely Remove Hardware dialog window will appear. To create a shortcut, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the desktop and click on New > Shortcut.
    • In the Type the location of the item box, type in, or copy and paste the following command:
      • rundll32.exe shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
    • Click Next and then give it a name like Safely Remove Hardware, and then click on
      Finish.

Keep us in the loop.

Aileen Alf, Jun 13, 2020
Thema:

What Cortana-related files can I safely remove from my computer?

1. What Cortana-related files can I safely remove from my computer? - Similar Threads - Cortana related files

2. what can I safely uninstall from my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what can I safely uninstall from my laptop?: Hello I have recently bout a newly refurbished HP Elitebook 830 8th Gen i7 laptop and I plan to be using it for my small online jewellery business and for Karaoke events with a company I work with. I may look to download items for business and leisure but I would like to know...
  3. what can I safely uninstall from my laptop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what can I safely uninstall from my laptop?: Hello I have recently bout a newly refurbished HP Elitebook 830 8th Gen i7 laptop and I plan to be using it for my small online jewellery business and for Karaoke events with a company I work with. I may look to download items for business and leisure but I would like to know...
  4. Cortana related

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cortana related: Can you tell me why i cannot log in in cortana. Does microsoft end cortana service. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cortana-related/d1445a23-f6d9-436a-9c28-083584285ed6
  5. What is UNCServer.exe? Is it safe? Can I remove it?

in Windows 10 News
    What is UNCServer.exe? Is it safe? Can I remove it?: [ATTACH]If you are seeing a process named UNCServer.exe in the Task Manager of your Windows 11/10 computer are wondering what it is and if it is safe, then this post is sure to interest you. What is UNCServer.exe and why is it running? UNC is an abbreviation of the Universal...
  6. Related to Cortana

in Cortana
    Related to Cortana: My Cortana is not workingresponding. It's showing Sorry,but Cortana is not available in EnglishIndia at this time. Please help asap I need to use it.... I have tried many steps but still it's not responding....
  7. how to remove cortana from computer

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    how to remove cortana from computer: how do I remove cortana from my computer. It is useless and eats cycles. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/how-to-remove-cortana-from-computer/b1f594fd-6701-4393-be6e-5d53dc3eada9
  8. Remove cortana from this computer as it will never be used.

in Cortana
    Remove cortana from this computer as it will never be used.: Want to remove Cortana from my computer as it will never be used by me. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-cortana-from-this-computer-as-it-will-never/94ae37e7-22bd-45fc-9c1c-6590b0913ebf"
  9. I want to remove Cortana from my computer

in Cortana
    I want to remove Cortana from my computer: as above * Original title: I want to remove Cortana from my computer, don't give me advice or boring chit chat, just tell me how to remove this **** ****!...
  10. Can the Panther file be safely removed?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can the Panther file be safely removed?: Can the Panther file be safely removed?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/can-the-panther-file-be-safely-removed/07371fbf-42fc-4abf-98bd-983316f8b48c"