Windows 10: What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems...

Discus and support What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/FloatingMilkshake [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/FloatingMilkshake, Apr 4, 2020.

1. What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems...

/u/FloatingMilkshake, Apr 4, 2020
  2. little Win User

Interesting CPU usage pattern caused by atikmdag.sys

I am using Acer V5-122P and running Windows 10 Build 1607 64-bit with all the latest updates.

Recently, I have noticed abnormal CPU usage by "System" (regardless of whether the PC is idle). This does not happen in the past, but I'm unable to tell when exactly it started.

What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems... [​IMG]

The CPU usage graph is very interesting.

What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems... [​IMG]

Perhaps a bit less interesting if the 4 cores are displayed separately.

I have downloaded Process Explorer from Microsoft. It turns out that it is the atikmdag.sys that is causing the abnormal CPU usage.

Naturally I uninstalled the AMD display driver using the Display Driver Uninstaller. Then I tried several versions of the AMD display driver (including a pre-Crimson Catalyst driver and the driver provided by Windows Update). Unfortunately, all versions of the AMD display driver I have tried have the same problem.

It is worth noting that the abnormal CPU usage does NOT occur if I use the generic display driver built into Windows. However, the generic display driver is not suitable for long-term use because I can't even adjust screen brightness with that driver.

I am suspecting that the problem is caused by the Build 1607 update, but I'm too late to roll back to Build 1511 and I'm not prepared to re-install Windows at the moment.

It would be great if you could kindly provide me with insights into the problem. Thanks!

little, Apr 4, 2020
  3. little Win User

Funny observation: When I use the old 15.7.1 driver released on 29/7/2015 (supposed to be the last driver that supports A6-1650), the CPU usage graph still shows a similar pattern, but the peaks are lower.

Using 15.7.1 driver:

Using the driver provided by Windows Update:

little, Apr 4, 2020
  4. fnetf Win User

What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems...

Hy Little,

I am the owner of a Acer V5 122P and been a long time very happy with windows 10. Exactly like you i got Problems with high cpu usage caused by atikmdag.sys. Most Time my Lappy is freezing and unworkable. So my question is if you found a solution for the Problem or please give me the link to the last working driver. Thanks very much, Frank from Germany

fnetf, Apr 4, 2020
Thema:

What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems...

1. What could be causing my CPU usage to jump up and down in a pattern when idle? Usage seems... - Similar Threads - causing CPU usage

2. Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle: Hello every one i am using windows 10 in DELL G3 gamming laptop , i am noticing a consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle, not sure what the reason is , my fans too are spinning at high speed due to this, please look in to it and tell whether there is any...
  3. Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle: Hello every one i am using windows 10 in DELL G3 gamming laptop , i am noticing a consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle, not sure what the reason is , my fans too are spinning at high speed due to this, please look in to it and tell whether there is any...
  4. Consistent pattern of CPU usage in task manager in idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What is causing my CPU usage to spike (even when idle)? - More in comments

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is causing my CPU usage to spike (even when idle)? - More in comments: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/kiwidog8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i1ic5b/what_is_causing_my_cpu_usage_to_spike_even_when/
  6. 80% cpu usage idle

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    80% cpu usage idle: Title... over an hour of wmi provided host taking 30% anti malware taking 30% and other windows processes taking 20. Causing pc to thermal throttle to 83 celicus this is after the windows 10 June 9th update. submitted by /u/SmallPeensUNITE [link] [comments]...
  7. Interesting CPU usage pattern caused by atikmdag.sys

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Interesting CPU usage pattern caused by atikmdag.sys: I am using Acer V5-122P and running Windows 10 Build 1607 64-bit with all the latest updates. Recently, I have noticed abnormal CPU usage by "System" (regardless of whether the PC is idle). This does not happen in the past, but I'm unable to tell when exactly it started....
  8. Strange CPU usage patterns

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange CPU usage patterns: Hi, I have a Dell upgraded from Win7 to Win10 recently. The fan is running unusually frequently after the upgrade, and when I look at task manager, I'm seeing something strange: Usually there is several processes with relatively high CPU usage, but they all have the same...
  9. CPU usage when PC is idle

CPU usage when PC is idle: This is not an issue but more a curiosity. I have the old Windows cup / ram monitor running as a gadget on Windows 10. When the PC is idle for a few minutes I notice the cup usage always spikes to around 10-13% and stays around that mark. As soon as I touch mouse and move it...
  10. High CPU Usage at Idle

High CPU Usage at Idle: Hey guys, recently my W10 PC seems to be using a fair bit of CPU. I noticed this because my Battlefield 1 fps appeared to have dropped. First thing I did was roll back my nvidia drivers to the previous version, but then I noticed my cpu usage. I seem to be using 35-45% cpu...