Windows 10: What could be wrong with SPDIF output?

Discus and support What could be wrong with SPDIF output? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a computer where the S/PDIF audio output has been working for years. I introduced an SSD into the system to help speed it up. Of course... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by dschul, Jul 12, 2020.

1. dschul Win User

What could be wrong with SPDIF output?

I have a computer where the S/PDIF audio output has been working for years.

I introduced an SSD into the system to help speed it up.

Of course that meant a different copy of Windows was in place, but also suddenly my sound output to my audio system stopped working.

The driver is the Digital Audio S/PDIF High Definition Audio Device which provides a facility to test audio output. When I run the tests I hear the audio tones from my S/PDIF audio output on my sound system.

Sound settings tell me that my sound output device is the Digital Audio S/PDIF High Definition Audio Device.

When I try to play any audio from the computer I am greeted by dead silence.

The tests would suggest that there is nothing wrong with my S/PDIF driver, but I don't understand why I am not getting any sound when playing an audio file.

:)

dschul, Jul 12, 2020
  2. sygnus21 Win User

5.1 option missing from SPDIF output

You may need to review your soundcard but I don't think 5.1 is supported via SPDIF.

I would suggest you check the speaker system itself. BTW I wasn't aware you could get 5.1 from the SPDIF out line? Though I'm no longer using the board my Gigabyte Z170 Gaming GT board has pretty much the same soundcard as you and it doesn't list 5 channel for the SPDIF digital out line.

Anyway if you say you were getting 5.1, who am I to argue. Anyway check your speaker system. You might also check the sound settings under Control Panel > Sound > Playback tab. Right click the SPDIF device and hit properties. Click the Advanced tab, and under Default format dropdown box check that 5.1 is selected (if supported). Again, I didn't think 5.1 was supported via the SPDIF out on PC soundcards, but....

Let us know.

sygnus21, Jul 12, 2020
  3. Problem with SPDIF/IO on Windows 10 with Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio

Look the is only SPDIF Out in the list but no SPDIF In (SPDIF Uit = SPDIF Out in Dutch)

What could be wrong with SPDIF output? c5b00be1-fd93-478b-9158-4b30258fef42.png

DinoDiesel, Jul 12, 2020
  4. What could be wrong with SPDIF output?

No playback devices except for "SPDIF Interface"

So I've been using Windows 10 for a while and I haven't had any issues so far. One day however without any reason my audio stopped playing and all I could see in my playback devices list was "SPDIF Interface" (whatever that is) not even my headphones.
    Please help. I'm using HP Elitebook 8530w.

John Pyechool, Jul 12, 2020
Thema:

What could be wrong with SPDIF output?

1. What could be wrong with SPDIF output? - Similar Threads - wrong SPDIF output

2. What could be wrong with my windows 10 lately?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What could be wrong with my windows 10 lately?: Lately for some reason my windows has been crashing out of nowhere. When im working on something and when its really close to being finished it just crashed and i cant move my mouse , the windows button is not responding and everything just freezes. Some other times the os...
  3. What could be wrong with my windows 10 lately?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What could be wrong with my windows 10 lately?: Lately for some reason my windows has been crashing out of nowhere. When im working on something and when its really close to being finished it just crashed and i cant move my mouse , the windows button is not responding and everything just freezes. Some other times the os...
  4. What could be wrong with my windows 10 lately?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. What could be wrong with my ram?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What could be wrong with my ram?: So my PC just all of a sudden started to blue screen multiple times in the past hour 2 said memory managment when I just had Google and epic games open downloading a game, another said system service expection and I don't know what's going on. Also when I did sfc /scannow it...
  6. What could be wrong with my ram?

What could be wrong with my ram?: So my PC just all of a sudden started to blue screen multiple times in the past hour 2 said memory managment when I just had Google and epic games open downloading a game, another said system service expection and I don't know what's going on. Also when I did sfc /scannow it...
  7. How to swap left and right SPDIF/DIGITAL audio output?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to swap left and right SPDIF/DIGITAL audio output?: I have a 2.1 speaker setup, but I have to place the Right speaker on the Left on the right side due do a cable length problem. I am not able to reverse the left and right output audio when in digital. Any suggestions?Is there a registry setting that I can change to force...
  8. How to swap left and right SPDIF/DIGITAL audio output?

How to swap left and right SPDIF/DIGITAL audio output?: I have a 2.1 speaker setup, but I have to place the Right speaker on the Left on the right side due do a cable length problem. I am not able to reverse the left and right output audio when in digital. Any suggestions?Is there a registry setting that I can change to force...
  9. wrong right-arrow output

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    wrong right-arrow output: When I press the right arrow on my keyboard it randomly gives a page down output into the computer that goes on until I press page up. This happens when I hold down right, press it multiple times or just tap it once. While this happens, does my page down button not work...
  10. 5.1 option missing from SPDIF output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    5.1 option missing from SPDIF output: This one has had me stumped for a week now. For years now I have had perfect 5.1 sound with no issues, SPDIF from EVGA z97 Classified (on board Sound Blaster 3Di) to my amp. This week something has changed and now it will only give me 2 channels. Have run a few tests with...