Windows 10: What "credentials information" do I enter to access network files?

Discus and support What "credentials information" do I enter to access network files? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 v. 1903, with files that I want to share. I have set up a home network. With both computers I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by coffent, Dec 18, 2019.

1. coffent Win User

What "credentials information" do I enter to access network files?

I have a laptop and a desktop, both running Windows 10 v. 1903, with files that I want to share. I have set up a home network. With both computers I have set folders to share with full control to Everyone. With the desktop I can view and open files on the laptop. However when I try with the laptop to view files on the desktop I get the message

Enter Network Credentials
    Enter your credentials to connect to [desktop]

and it asks for User Name and Password.

What does it mean by "User Name"? I entered the name of the network and it accepted it as an account. And I entered the password I set up to access the network, but it says it's incorrect!

Since the desktop can access files on the laptop, isn't the laptop *already* on the network? Why can the desktop access laptop files but not v.v.?

What credentials information should I enter?

:)

coffent, Dec 18, 2019

2. Network Credentials

Hi Sammy,

To assist you better regarding your concern with network credentials, have you checked the Windows credentials for any information about the username and password for the network credentials? If not yet, follow the steps below to access Windows Credentials
    manager.

• Press the Windows icon on the desktop.
    • Type in Windows Credentials.
    We would appreciate as well if you could provide us a screenshot.

Let us know how it goes.

Carlos Tin, Dec 18, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Enter Network Credentials !

Hi Mohammed,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to turn off the protection and try, follow the steps below and check, if it helps:

• Go to system tray and click on network and sharing.
    • Select change advanced sharing settings at the left top of the screen.
    • At the bottom select All network.
    • Select password protected sharing.
    • Turn off password protected sharing.

Method 2: Run Troubleshooter

• Press Windows key and type Network and sharing center
    • Click on troubleshoot problems
    • Run all the troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 18, 2019
  4. dudley Win User

network issues, unable to enter network credentials

I upgraded two desktops to Win 10 (one from Win 7 and one from Win 8.1). I have issues with setting up a network.

First, I tried to set up a homegroup and I failed (i already posted another question on this subject with no luck so far). OK, forget about the homegroup, lets do it without it.

At this point, desktop A can see shared folders and a printer on desktop B - I did have to enter network credentials. Desktop B however cannot. It can see the desktop A under Network but when I click on it, it is asking to Enter network credential to connect to A. When I do that, it says that the user name or password is incorrect (and I am using the same user name and password that I use on desktop A to log on). What am I missing?

Both computers are on the same Workgroup "WORKGROUP". BTW - and I am not sure if that is relevant - when I try to enter credentials on desktop B and it is asking for User name and Password, just below it says "Domain: " - is my logging name.

Thanks for any suggestion.

dudley, Dec 18, 2019
Thema:

1. What "credentials information" do I enter to access network files? - Similar Threads - credentials information enter

2. File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials: I am trying to send a very large file on my desktop over my network to my laptop.Both my Accounts on my Desktop and Laptop use my Outlook account as the login.When I try to access either computers the Windows Security Pop-up says to Enter network Credentials.I try entering my...
  3. File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer>Network - Enter network credentials: I am trying to send a very large file on my desktop over my network to my laptop.Both my Accounts on my Desktop and Laptop use my Outlook account as the login.When I try to access either computers the Windows Security Pop-up says to Enter network Credentials.I try entering my...
  4. Enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter network credentials: This is odd. I have a Windows laptop and HP desktop, both with Windows 11. In the past I could easily share files/folders between the two, but now it asks for network credentials user name and password. I have no clue what to put there, and what is worse, I didn't need to...
  5. Enter network credentials- what do I type in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Enter network credentials- what do I type in: What do I type in when I get "Enter Network Credentials" while trying to connect to my other Win10Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enter-network-credentials-what-do-i-type-in/42093164-0100-4bf1-a2f3-932e5ae29a66
  6. Enter network credentials- what do I type in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Enter network credentials- what do I type in: What do I type in when I get "Enter Network Credentials" while trying to connect to my other Win10Pro laptop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/enter-network-credentials-what-do-i-type-in/42093164-0100-4bf1-a2f3-932e5ae29a66
  7. Enter network credentials- what do I type in

in Cortana
  8. enter network credentials

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    enter network credentials: When trying to access other computers or my nas on my network I get the prompt to enter my network credentials. I can access them through remote access, or in the case of my Nas, the windows store app but not through file manager.I have tried every combination know to man, My...
  9. Enter Network Credentials - Access Denied

Enter Network Credentials - Access Denied: Hello Community!I am trying to access a hard drive on my PC Desktop from my laptop. Quick summary:Both connected to home wi-fi set as private networkPC in question has sharing enabled for the driveBoth computers can see each other on the networkPassword Protect Sharing is...
  10. Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network

Asking to enter network credentials when access files on network: Hi, I did the update on our two PCs this morning. The first PCmain hold our data and the second PCcad accesses that data across the network. I can not get to Main from Cad any longer. It asks for a Network Login which I am unsure of. I can ping both ways between the PCs. Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how do i enter network credentials