Windows 10: What determines if you get a cumulative update?

Discus and support What determines if you get a cumulative update? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I'm curious about how MS decides your machine is ok to get a cumulative upgrade. Does anyone know? I have an ancient laptop that must be more than 12... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Sam Vimes, May 31, 2019.

1. Sam Vimes Win User

What determines if you get a cumulative update?

I'm curious about how MS decides your machine is ok to get a cumulative upgrade. Does anyone know?

I have an ancient laptop that must be more than 12 years old and it's running Win10 but with very few other applications. It seems to receive the updates reasonably soon after release - currently its on 1809.

My workstation, which is where my real work is done always lags behind and its currently at 1803.

I'm not saying I want the CUs, in fact I rather not have them at all, and I turn off as many functions in Win10 as I can, including telemetry.

Having a better understanding of the decision process might help me to put off the updates for as long as possible - if not forever.

Thanks for you input

:)

Sam Vimes, May 31, 2019
  2. Arun B J Win User

June 2016 Cumulative Update impacted my Desktop

Hi,

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve the issue.

I suggest you to uninstall the Cumulative update and check if it helps.

Follow the steps below.

• Go to control panel, then click on
      Programs and Features.

• Tap on View installed updates, then find the update.

• Right click on the update and uninstall the update.

And also you can temporarily disable the
    Cumulative update.

Refer the link below.

How to temporarily prevent a Windows or driver update from reinstalling in Windows 10.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, May 31, 2019
  3. 3Colors Win User
    Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond What determines if you get a cumulative update? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, May 31, 2019
  4. bgw2go Win User

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081444)

Navneet Anand,

I ended up having to use the nuclear option and restore my computer using a System Image Backup. I downloaded the updates from the catalog as suggested and tried installing them one
    at a time. Installing the updates manually, I have determined that the Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081441) is my issue as the Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081444) installed correctly.

So I am officially stuck. I have tried the steps you suggested to resolve this issue without success. Further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

bgw2go, May 31, 2019
Thema:

1. What determines if you get a cumulative update? - Similar Threads - determines cumulative update

2. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  3. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  4. Determining what PUA's are

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Determining what PUA's are: I got gifted the game Disgaea for my birthday a while ago, but the game needs a LOT of grinding. I am not a kid with a summer vacation to blow on this anymore, so I wanted to cheat some XP to eliminate the boring grinding. However the save files are encrypted, so I'm looking...
  5. What is a cumulative update preview

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is a cumulative update preview: I am a home user of Windows 10. Can someone tell me what is a cumulative update preview? And why is it being offered to me on Windows Update. I normally install all Windows updates that I am offered, but this one KB4586853 seems suspicious. Why is it called a "preview"? If it...
  6. Determining what monitor to get

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Determining what monitor to get: Hey everyone, I have a MSI bravo 15 laptop and I was wanting to get a nice monitor to game on. I have done a bit of research and found I need to size the monitor with my GPU and operating system. So I was wanting to know if there were any suggestions on what I should look...
  7. method to determine exactly what caused a particular update?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    method to determine exactly what caused a particular update?: Is there a way to determine exactly what caused a failure to install of a specific update. After all, the update mechanism ought to know what stopped an update from being successfully installed in order to call it a fail. It would surely make troubleshooting and repairing...
  8. What determines if you get a cumulative update?

What determines if you get a cumulative update?: I'm curious about how MS decides your machine is ok to get a cumulative upgrade. Does anyone know? I have an ancient laptop that must be more than 12 years old and it's running Win10 but with very few other applications. It seems to receive the updates reasonably soon after...
  9. What determines what will be the computers name at startup?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What determines what will be the computers name at startup?: I'm kinda curious, what decides what name the computer will get (WIN-xxxxx), and I woule like to know if its just a random string, or there is a method behind it?...
  10. How to determine what caused Anniversary Update to fail

How to determine what caused Anniversary Update to fail: I downloaded the Anniversary Update and ran it. It seemed to be doing ok - the % complete got up to 91%, including several restarts, and then I got the frowning face icone with the message "Something went wrong". After that my screen said it was restoring my previous version,...