Windows 10: What determines or restricts monitor specs?

Discus and support What determines or restricts monitor specs? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; When considering a higher resolution monitor, what takes priority or restricts choice? Is it the system motherboard specs or the graphics card specs?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Aurondium, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Aurondium Win User

What determines or restricts monitor specs?

When considering a higher resolution monitor, what takes priority or restricts choice? Is it the system motherboard specs or the graphics card specs? Or does it depend on whether the monitor is to be connected to one or the other? Or is it more technical than that?

I have a 27" Samsung monitor with native resolution 1920 x 1080. I play DCS flight simulation and do get a pretty good picture but wondered if I could get an even better picture with a higher res monitor. I was thinking of increasing my ram to 32gig - the motherboard will handle that.

The graphics card is 'overclock edition' - I think that may mean it's factory overclocked - I don't enter the realms of overclocking.

:)

Aurondium, Mar 28, 2016
  2. eeewing Win User

What determines what picture is shown in the Pictures tile?

The documentation I've read indicate that the photo is chosen randomly, and changes after every fifth visit to the Pictures hub...unless you change the pic yourself. Either way, the long-press you were previously advised to attempt does not work from the
    tile, but rather from the hub itself. Once inside the Pictures hub, long-press on the background image and you will get the menu options regarding setting the background (and live tile) photo.

Hope that helps!

eeewing, Mar 28, 2016
  3. Jorge E. - WP7 Support, Mar 28, 2016
  4. What determines or restricts monitor specs?

It depends on what you mean by a better picture. If you are concerned about the color quality, you may just need to tune the settings on the monitor. If you think frame rate is your problem, then you should likely look in to a better video card. Simply increasing the resolution to a newer monitor may not make the picture "better".

Increase the amount of RAM will have nothing to do with picture quality. If it looks good to you now, why bother trying to change that?

DeaconFrost, Mar 29, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
    Hi Aurondium. *Smile

Your question is ... What determines or restricts monitor specs?

I think the key factor is the A/V interface. The same graphics processing unit (dedicated or integrated) may yield different resolution when connected to different interfaces. As an example, see the specifications of a motherboard ... say B85M-G. It says:
    What determines or restricts monitor specs? [​IMG]
    If it is connected to a VGA or DVI port, it is 1920x1080; but when it is connected to HDMI, it is 4096 x 2160. If a larger monitor connected to the DVI port, display resolution will not be improved.

6. bobkn Win User
    It's a little more complicated.

Dual link DVI supports 2560 X 1600. Digital Visual Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It was used on the 30" monitors that I used to lust after.

The resolution HDMI supports depends on its version number. HDMI - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you want 4096 X 2160 at 60 Hz, apparently you need HDMI 2.0.

I'm running UHD (3940 X 2160) at 60 Hz using a DisplayPort interface.

bobkn, Mar 30, 2016
  7. Your video card(needs to support your maximum resolution at least) and the particular monitor manufacture specs. and video input/output connector types(HDMI, Display port, mini display port are pretty much state of the art video computer to monitor interface connectors). If you don't have a discrete video card then the onboard graphics chip on your motherboard and video input/output connectors must support your monitor . Don't go cheap on this and Do the comparisons. IMO

lopedoggie, Mar 30, 2016
  8. jds63 Win User

From my experience with higher resolution then 1920 x 1080 your video card specs are what is important, as i see from your video card your fine for it. The other thing i notice about higher resolution is it will work your card much more then when using lower resolution.
    The card will increase in temps faster, fans will run faster. For gaming you may loose frames per second you might be better off with same resolution and higher refresh rate monitor for gaming.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/productd...C443D&lang=eng

jds63, Mar 30, 2016
  9. Aurondium Win User
    All very enlightening and helpful, guys, and your taking time to reply is much appreciated. Thank you.

My current monitor does not have a Display Input, hence my question, although I do remember that old phrase- if it ain't broke don't fix it. I am currently exploring DCS Flight simulator and closing up on screen instruments helps - great fun.

It looks as though I maybe should have gone for a better quality monitor to give myself options that are presently not available to me.. Live and learn.

Thanks again.

Aurondium, Mar 30, 2016
  10. bobkn Win User
    If the monitor is the Samsung S27E390HS listed in your specs, its native resolution is 1920X1080. Both the HDMI and DB15 (VGA) ports will support that.

You'd need a different monitor to get more pixels.

bobkn, Mar 30, 2016
  11. Aurondium Win User
    The monitor I am now considering is a Samsung S34E790C. Any obvious reason I may have overlooked as to why that may not be compatible with my present system?

If it won't work too well..... unless I upgrade my graphics card.....hmmmmm. Or there is another solution to obtaining a larger screen - maybe by sticking with 1920 x 1080.

I really appreciate your input because I must confess to feeling a tad bamboozled by all the net searching I have done.

ETA- Spoken to my son who (in addition to explaining a few things to me) has a quad 1920x1080 professional set-up he is not going to have any use for shortly and he has kindly offered it to me plus the relevant graphics card so everything is on hold for the moment, but I do thank you all again for your very kind assistance.

Aurondium, Mar 31, 2016
  12. jds63 Win User
    Samsung does make very nice monitors. Your AMD Sapphire Card does support that resolution. On second look there are a number of Sapphire R9 280 X http://www.sapphiretech.com/catapage...id=74&lang=eng

So you do not really need to upgrade your graphics card. The thing with higher resolution is everything is going to become smaller on the screen (icons,text,etc...) and you may have to play with Scaling and other settings in Windows, you will not notice this with videos and games. With higher resolution you get more of a percentage of screen space to images and 25% or more sharper.

Wish you luck on whatever you decide if son doing this for you great.

jds63, Mar 31, 2016
  13. Aurondium Win User

Thank you, jds63. That is very helpful, especially to know my Sapphire Radeon DualX R9-280X can handle the Samsung S34 monitor I am considering.

Aurondium, Apr 1, 2016
  14. jds63 Win User
    Your Welcome ! Like i said before any 2K & 4K monitor especially with gaming is going to work your Graphics card more then using a resolution like 1920 x 1080, so a better Graphics card can help. I only have a 2K Monitor and i notice with gaming it stresses the card more then with my older monitor with lower resolution and was agreed when speaking to my Card manufacturer on this.

jds63, Apr 1, 2016
  15. Aurondium Win User
    So it seems as though I might be better putting the money into a more powerful (and system compatible) graphics card and then looking at a better monitor when the cash is available a few months down the line. A compatible new graphics card should last a few years (probably outlast me- *Sad) and the monitor may come down in price a tad - yes?

Oh, decisions decisions. And unless I'm careful a new graphics card will probably put a new factor (or spanner) into the mix! Any suggestions? *Confused

Aurondium, Apr 2, 2016
Thema:

1. What determines or restricts monitor specs? - Similar Threads - determines restricts monitor

2. What monitor specs do you look for?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What monitor specs do you look for?: Requirements: 32", 4k, cheap but not junk. I'm 90% sure I want standard 16:9 and not an odd, wide size. I've done nearly all my research on rtings.com and I'm not sure what specs are important and what isn't. This will be a work monitor so I figure lag and refresh rate are...
  3. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  4. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  5. Determining what PUA's are

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Determining what PUA's are: I got gifted the game Disgaea for my birthday a while ago, but the game needs a LOT of grinding. I am not a kid with a summer vacation to blow on this anymore, so I wanted to cheat some XP to eliminate the boring grinding. However the save files are encrypted, so I'm looking...
  6. What are your system specs?

in Windows 10 Support
    What are your system specs?: I know I know... All you have to do is hit My System Specs. That's great but what I would like to do is put all that information together in one post. I know one of my nutty ideas and yes... Just trying to have fun! It's not all problem solving. Yes, it is... But that's...
  7. Determining what monitor to get

Determining what monitor to get: Hey everyone, I have a MSI bravo 15 laptop and I was wanting to get a nice monitor to game on. I have done a bit of research and found I need to size the monitor with my GPU and operating system. So I was wanting to know if there were any suggestions on what I should look...
  8. Monitor Specs Questions

Monitor Specs Questions: I'm thinking of replacing a 1K monitor with 2K and would like whatever advice anybody can provide. 1. Most manufacturers have their own "technology" like Crystalclear, SmartContrast, SmartImage, SplendidPlus Video Intelligence Technology, AQCOLOR, Brightness Intelligence,...
  9. Monitor Specs Questions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor Specs Questions: I'm thinking of replacing a 1K monitor with 2K and would like whatever advice anybody can provide. 1. Most manufacturers have their own "technology" like Crystalclear, SmartContrast, SmartImage, SplendidPlus Video Intelligence Technology, AQCOLOR, Brightness Intelligence,...
  10. 4K Monitors - confused over specs

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    4K Monitors - confused over specs: Can someone tell me what the difference is between these 2 monitors, and why the price is almost double? Is it purely G-Sync or am I missing something? Acer XB271HK (~£750) and LG 27UD68P (~£390). Both are same res, same IPS, same 60Hz, etc. Also, when using a 3840x2160...