Windows 10: What determines what will be the computers name at startup?

Discus and support What determines what will be the computers name at startup? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I'm kinda curious, what decides what name the computer will get (WIN-xxxxx), and I woule like to know if its just a random string, or there is a method... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by KukaBarnus, Sep 19, 2018.

1. What determines what will be the computers name at startup?

I'm kinda curious, what decides what name the computer will get (WIN-xxxxx), and I woule like to know if its just a random string, or there is a method behind it?

:)

KukaBarnus, Sep 19, 2018
  2. Avedis53 Win User

Can't get GPU-Z to start with Windows 8.1 startup

I'm not sure how to do that. Could you list the steps for a noob?

Avedis53, Sep 19, 2018
  3. Aquinus Win User
    Does this computer build have compatibility problems? Opinions welcomed!

Lets start with what you're going to use this computer for, not what you want to put in it.

Rules/steps to building a computer (in chronological order):
    First rule: Determine what your needs are.
    Second rule: Define your budget.
    Third rule: Pick parts.
    Fourth rule: Review parts several times.
    Fifth rule: Buy said parts.
    Sixth rule: Build it.

You are on rule/step 1. Go through the list until you're done.

Aquinus, Sep 19, 2018
  4. What determines what will be the computers name at startup?

Nvidia driver problem with 940 MX on Windows 10 x64

I would only go back to the driver from the computers manufacturers if you experience any issues with the latest drivers from devie manufacturers.

If everything is still working well with the clean boot then you can start troubleshooting as follows to start:

How to determine what is causing the problem after you do a clean boot

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
    2. From Start, search for msconfig. (In Windows 10, use the Search box from the Start menu. In Windows 8 or 8.1, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, and then tap Search. Or, if you are using a mouse, point to the lower-right corner of the screen, and then click Search.)
    3. Select msconfig or System Configuration from the search results.
    4. Tap or click the Services tab, and then tap or click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.
    5. Tap or click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Service list.
    6. Tap or click OK, and then tap or click Restart.
    7. After the computer finishes restarting, determine whether the problem still occurs.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 1 through 6, but clear the lower half of the check boxes in the Service list that you originally selected.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 1 through 6, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If you still experience the problem when only one service is selected in the Service list, this means that the selected service causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no service causes the problem, go to step 8.
    8. Repeat steps 1 and 3 in this section.
    9. Tap or click the Startup tab, and then tap or click to select the upper half of the check boxes in the Startup Item list.
    10. Click OK, and then click Restart.
    • If the problem still occurs, repeat steps 8 and 9, but clear the lower half of the checked boxes in the Startup Item list that you originally selected.
    • If the problem does not occur, repeat steps 8 and 9, and select only the upper half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.
    • If you still experience the problem after only one Startup Item is selected in the Startup Item list, this means that the selected Startup Item causes the problem, and you should go to step 11. If no Startup Item causes this problem, a Microsoft service probably causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat steps 1 through 7 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in each step.
    11. After you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then tap or click to clear the check box for the problem item.
    From <https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows>

Techjourney, Sep 19, 2018
Thema:

What determines what will be the computers name at startup?

1. What determines what will be the computers name at startup? - Similar Threads - determines computers name

2. what is the name of the microsoft account for this computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is the name of the microsoft account for this computer: I can't remember hich account i used to set up windows on this computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-name-of-the-microsoft-account-for-this/ed65b646-eb8e-44b9-a810-01878b32f67d
  3. what is the name of the microsoft account for this computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what is the name of the microsoft account for this computer: I can't remember hich account i used to set up windows on this computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-name-of-the-microsoft-account-for-this/ed65b646-eb8e-44b9-a810-01878b32f67d
  4. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  5. What determines the display number.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What determines the display number.: Does windows determine the display number based on on which port the various monitors are connected? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-determines-the-display-number/f17cb8ff-7bd4-4e7d-8d16-6f1d5a45843a
  6. Determining what PUA's are

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Determining what PUA's are: I got gifted the game Disgaea for my birthday a while ago, but the game needs a LOT of grinding. I am not a kid with a summer vacation to blow on this anymore, so I wanted to cheat some XP to eliminate the boring grinding. However the save files are encrypted, so I'm looking...
  7. Help Determine what partitions are needed

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help Determine what partitions are needed: I have a Win 10 installation that originally was Win 8, then upgraded to Win 8.1 Pro and finally upgraded to Win 10. It is now on the current 20H2 version. I know not all partitions are needed. I have a clean Win 10 Pro install (dual boot with this one) and its only one...
  8. Determining what monitor to get

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Determining what monitor to get: Hey everyone, I have a MSI bravo 15 laptop and I was wanting to get a nice monitor to game on. I have done a bit of research and found I need to size the monitor with my GPU and operating system. So I was wanting to know if there were any suggestions on what I should look...
  9. Determining what computer a loose hard drive was previously installed

in Windows 10 Support
    Determining what computer a loose hard drive was previously installed: Build 18362.592 I have a loose hard drive that came from an unknown computer that was in a Hive of computers. I cannot determine which computer the hard drive came from but it was apparently the Boot drive for what I think was a Windows 10 installation. What I am wondering...
  10. What determines or restricts monitor specs?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    What determines or restricts monitor specs?: When considering a higher resolution monitor, what takes priority or restricts choice? Is it the system motherboard specs or the graphics card specs? Or does it depend on whether the monitor is to be connected to one or the other? Or is it more technical than that? I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. who determines a computers name