Windows 10: 'what device did you just plug in' popup

Discus and support 'what device did you just plug in' popup in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello, In the past I had used headphones (no microphone) with my windows 10 laptop. Back then a popup would come up saying 'what device have you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Alex73Saunders, Nov 28, 2018.

1. 'what device did you just plug in' popup

Hello,

In the past I had used headphones (no microphone) with my windows 10 laptop. Back then a popup would come up saying 'what device have you plugged in' every time I plugged them into the jack. However I clicked the 'do not display' icon so now when I want to use my headset (with microphone) to be able to use the microphone to talk to people on discord or skype it will use the poor laptop's microphone. How can I undo that and get the popup to come on every time that I plug in a device so that I can click a box saying that my device has a microphone.

Any responses greatly appreciated.

:)

Alex73Saunders, Nov 28, 2018

2. Popup Not Showing When Device Plugged in Audio Jack (Windows 10)

Thank you for the additional details. For the troubleshooting, we recommend unplugging the device and uninstall it from the Device Manager app.

• Open the Device Manager.
    • Locate the device that you want to uninstall.
    • Right-click and select Properties.
    • Go to Driver tab and click Uninstall.
    • To reinstall, plug the device back and it will automatically install the driver.

After performing the steps above, let us know if the issue still persists.

We'll be waiting for your response.

Jennifer Cha, Nov 28, 2018
  3. masch1na Win User
    Plugged in popup

Please I need help in how to get the popup window when i plug in headphpones to select whether its a headset, headphones or microphone only. I now plugged in my headphones but microphone is not working because i selected for the window to not appear again and i had headset back then.

THANKS

masch1na, Nov 28, 2018
  4. Arul_D Win User

'what device did you just plug in' popup

Computer Won't Auto Change the Playback Device When Headphones Plugged In/Out

Hi Michael,

I understand your concern and will be happy to assist you.

Is the issue specific to only Headphones/ Does External Speaker play when plugged in?

I suggest you to try resetting the default device as shown in the steps given below and check if the issue persists.

• Plug in the Headphones in the machine.

• Go to Start and Control Panel.

• Select 'Hardware and Sound'.

• Click 'Change system sounds'.

• Click 'Playback' tab. (It should then show you your headphones in the list).

• Select your proper Headphone device from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.

• Now unplug your Headphones and select speakers from the list, then Click 'Set Default'.
    Hope it helps. Please reply for further queries on this.

Arul_D, Nov 28, 2018
Thema:

'what device did you just plug in' popup

1. 'what device did you just plug in' popup - Similar Threads - 'what device did

2. I don't get the "What device did you plug in?" popup anymore even though it's enabled.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I don't get the "What device did you plug in?" popup anymore even though it's enabled.: My laptop is Dell Vostro 15 3500 2020, and the headphones are JBL Quantumm 100 if models are needed.I have tried reinstalling audio drivers several times, re-enabling the show popup option in the dell provided MaxxAudioPro app, going to mmsys.cpl and trying to enable jack mic...
  3. I don't get the "What device did you plug in?" popup anymore even though it's enabled.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I don't get the "What device did you plug in?" popup anymore even though it's enabled.: My laptop is Dell Vostro 15 3500 2020, and the headphones are JBL Quantumm 100 if models are needed.I have tried reinstalling audio drivers several times, re-enabling the show popup option in the dell provided MaxxAudioPro app, going to mmsys.cpl and trying to enable jack mic...
  4. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Customization
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  5. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    not getting "what device did you plug in" popup: so, recently i sold my laptop, the person i sold it to updated it to windows 11, after he then asked to send it back and for a refund because it doesn't have a harddrive i stuck with windows 11 for a while because i didn't know how to go to windows 10, i then went to...
  6. not getting "what device did you plug in" popup

7. How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up: I have gotten the popup before but I accidentally set my headset to heaphones so now i cant use the microphone on them and I cannot change it...
  8. How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up

How to get the "what device did you plug in" pop up: I have gotten the popup before but I accidentally set my headset to heaphones so now i cant use the microphone on them and I cannot change it...
  9. "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    "What Audio Device Did you plug in?" Menu is missing...: Hello all, On windows 7, there used to be this menu that would come up anytime you plugged something into the 3.5 mm audio jack, asking you if it was a headphone, line in, etc. This seems to be missing from Windows10 - how can I enable this, or something similar? I record...
  10. "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing

in Windows 10 Customization
    "What did you just plug in?" prompt not appearing: I have been trying to use headphones on my laptop. They haven't been working and I believe this is because the "what did you just plug in?" prompt is not appearing when I plug them into the audio jack. How do I get this prompt back? I am using Windows 10....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. which device did you plug in

2. what did you just plug in

3. what device did you plug in

4. windows what device did you plug in,
  5. which device did you plug in?,
  6. what device did you plug in windows 10,
  7. which device did you plug in windows,
  8. Windows 10 Which device did you plug in,
  9. which device did you plug in windows 10,
  10. which device did you plug,
  11. what did i just plug in,