Windows 10: What Device?

Discus and support What Device? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I shut my computer down every time I am done with it. It has been three days since the November 11th Cumulative update and so far everything has been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by EyeInTheSky, Nov 14, 2020.

1. What Device?

I shut my computer down every time I am done with it. It has been three days since the November 11th Cumulative update and so far everything has been fine except for Microsoft Defender Offline scan not working but that has been an issue for three years for a lot of people but just recently stopped working on my system since the update.

Now back to my current question: "What Device?"

I haven't added a new device to my system for over a year and when I turned on my computer, I was greeted with this splash screen:

What Device? ytPhpwe.jpg

Just before that screen though there was a "Wait Just a Moment" Splash screen that I couldn't pull my camera out fast enough to take a picture of.

Either way, that doesn't matter. I want to know what the hell device it was referring to. It just doesn't make any sense that a splash screen would come up three days after a CU update and decide that I have installed a new device to the computer; which again, I didn't.

If that is the splash screen that refers to the final install of my current build version number and refers to just setting up Windows in general, then why the hell didn't I get that screen upon first boot after installation of my current build as listed under my Avatar?

To conclude, this was the final splash screen after telling the stupid previous splash screen that I did not want to use the Edge Browser:

What Device? ogtpq2M.jpg

Did anyone else get this with the 20H2 version?

It is bad enough that I am inundated with advertisements during my normal course of using Windows, but this is a step beyond ridiculous to override the boot process and try to force the Edge Browser down my throat again by not allowing me into my Operating System until I answer questions.

This wouldn't have been a problem if it would have happened during the normal transition between builds; but the audacity of Microsoft to wait three days after I installed the Cumulative Update to harass me before my computer can even boot to see if I want to switch my Browser is like trying to use a bullet to shoot a gun instead of using the gun to shoot the bullet.

It seems with every CU lately, I lose a little more control over my OS and it is inherently dangerous for Microsoft to pursue this type of engagement if it wants a customer base.

Go ahead Microsoft and keep pushing it and you'll find out just how many alternatives there really are to your OS.

:)

EyeInTheSky, Nov 14, 2020

2. Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

Follow either of these steps to fix the issue with the Active window hiding behind.

Method 1:
    I suggest you to disable window by hovering over it with the mouse and check if it helps. To do so I suggest you to try the below given steps and check if it helps:

1. Press Windows key + X key and click on Control Panel.
    2. Select or click Ease of Access.
    3. Click or tap onEase of Access Centre.
    4. Click on Make the Mouse Easier to Use was uncheck Activate Window by hovering over it with the mouse.
    5. Check if issue is resolved.
    Method 2:
    I would suggest you to completely uninstall the touchpad driver and reinstall it. Kindly follow the below given steps.

1. Press “Windows key + X” and click on “Device Manager”.
    2. In the list of devices, you should see the touchpad drivers.
    3. Right click on the device and then select "Uninstall".
    4. In the uninstall dialog, make sure you select the option to delete the driver package from the system. This causes the driver package installed earlier to be deleted.
    5. In the Action menu of Device manager, select “Scan for Hardware changes” option. This will cause the device driver to be reinstalled. Once the driver is installed, close all windows and restart the computer.

ChojiTiger, Nov 14, 2020
  3. csatennis Win User
    Taskbar bug: switching to another window -will not appear at the front

I have been trying to fix this for months. Your solution Method 1 seemed to work. THANK YOU!!!!

csatennis, Nov 14, 2020
  4. IggSter Win User

What Device?

How to factory reset Cisco 1700 Router

Hopefully I can help you here....its a very common thing to happen.

First, I take it you dont know the passwords for console access or telnet/ssh?

I will assume that these devices belong to you.

step 1. Plug a cisco console cable into a serial port on your pc
    step 2. Plug other end into Cisco console port
    step 3. Using hyperterm or putty or similar connect to the serial port
    step 4. boot router, and make sure you clearly can see the output (this confirms you have good serial comms)
    step 5. if this fails, adjust the comm port settings (9600, 8,1,n are the default)
    step 6. now you have to do the only hard part...send the break command:

Break command list: Break Commands

Go down the list and match your OS and SW and try the sequence suggested.

If this fails several times do what I do: Install putty (free) and then to send a break so you can get into rommom just hit "ctrl-a b".

IggSter, Nov 14, 2020
Thema:

What Device?

1. What Device? - Similar Threads - Device

2. Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices: Toshiba Hard drive not showing up anywhere on HP 440 G7, it's a Toshiba 1 terabyte, I originally thought it was a hard drive or SATA cable but when I inut the hard drive in another computer it shows and when I place another hard drive in the computer it showsI'm currently...
  3. Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices: Toshiba Hard drive not showing up anywhere on HP 440 G7, it's a Toshiba 1 terabyte, I originally thought it was a hard drive or SATA cable but when I inut the hard drive in another computer it shows and when I place another hard drive in the computer it showsI'm currently...
  4. Hard drive not showing anywhere except other devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...: The Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs....
  6. pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...

pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...: The Network Connected Devices Auto-Setup service on Local Computer started and then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs....
  7. pdate sitiator Click-t ort ort Cont are Shac ge Space The Network Connected Devices...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Update led to no bootable device screen

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Update led to no bootable device screen: After the latest update, my pc kept showing the blue "ran into a problem page"and restarting. After a few times, it froze on that page so i force shutdown and now when i turn it on it shows the acer screen for a few seconds and then changes to a black page with a magnifying...
  9. Update led to no bootable device screen

Update led to no bootable device screen: After the latest update, my pc kept showing the blue "ran into a problem page"and restarting. After a few times, it froze on that page so i force shutdown and now when i turn it on it shows the acer screen for a few seconds and then changes to a black page with a magnifying...
  10. Update led to no bootable device screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade