Windows 10: What do I need to do to install Windows 10 64-bit?

Discus and support What do I need to do to install Windows 10 64-bit? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; What do I need to do to install Windows 10 64-bit? I have WIndows 10 32-bit, which is what my initial upgrade from Windows 7 installed. I can confirm... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Freedom76, May 24, 2020.

1. Freedom76 Win User

What do I need to do to install Windows 10 64-bit?

What do I need to do to install Windows 10 64-bit? I have WIndows 10 32-bit, which is what my initial upgrade from Windows 7 installed.

I can confirm my PC meets all of the requirements for 64-bit. I have downloaded Windows Media Creation Tool application and am running that. It is just installing Windows 10. Never asked me about 32 vs 64 bit. Just started installing and looks just like the time I upgraded from Windows 7.

Everything I have read just said "You need to install a fresh copy of Windows". I don't have enough time to do this every day until I accidentally do it correctly. Where can I expect to see 32 or 64 bit being asked of me to choose? Please I am just asking exactly at what step will I see an option to install the 64-bit version? Again, my processor and RAM meets the requirements. And when on Windows 10 32-bit the PC properties clearly showed that it recognized my specs are fine for 64-bit.

:)

Freedom76, May 24, 2020

2. Re-install Windows 10 64-bit

Yes, you can go back to 64 bit Windows 10 without purchasing.

• Switching to Windows 10 64 bit is free, you don't have to pay for it. As long as you have a qualifying Windows 7 or 8 or Windows 10 license, you are entitled to use it.
    • Switching requires that you perform a new installation, that means files, applications and settings will be deleted.
    • You will have to reinstall applications and native 64 bit drivers.
    • Backup before migrating: How
      to: Create a system image in Windows 10

Step 1: Download Windows 10 64 bit then create a bootable copy:

How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2: Boot from the 64 bit Windows 10 install media, then perform a custom or clean install:

Andre Da Costa, May 24, 2020
  3. Windows installed 32-bit version of Windows 10, when it should be 64-bit

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

In order to help you better, could you please confirm a couple of things:

• How did you upgrade to Windows 10?
    • Have you checked under system info?
    I suggest you to go to control panel and system and under system info check which bit is installed.

As your Windows 7 is running on 32 bit, Windows 10 will be installed as 32 bit architecture if you install Windows 10 through Windows updates. If you want to install Windows 10 64 bit, I suggest you to check whether your system
    supports 32/64 bit architecture. If your computer supports 64 bit architecture, then i suggest you to refer the below link to install Windows 10 64 bit using the media creation tool.

Download Windows 10.

Download Windows 10

You can check the System information from your computer to check for the architecture of Windows supported by your computer.

Reference: I suggest you to refer the below article for more information about Windows 10.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, May 24, 2020
  4. pepoluan Win User

Windows 10 Upgrade 32-bit to 64-bit

So, Windows 10 Upgrade is being rolled out worldwide, and I have 'reserved' my upgrade.

Currently my computer is running Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I'm planning to 'upgrade' it to Windows 10 64-bit (via fresh install, of course).

After reading many references, these will be the steps I'll do:

1. Let the "Get Windows 10" app upgrade my OS to Windows 10 32-bit
    2. Note the activation key
    3. Download the Installation Media for Windows 10, but choosing 64-bit instead
    4. Perform a clean install
    5. Reactivate using the activation key in Step #2

(Of course I'll backup my data first.)

However, I still have some questions:

1. On Windows 7, the activation key does not differ between 32- or 64-bit versions. Is it still so with Windows 10?
    2. Will I be able to download a different architecture on Step #3?
    3. Is there anything I need to prepare beforehand?

Thank you for your assistance.

pepoluan, May 24, 2020
Thema:

1. What do I need to do to install Windows 10 64-bit? - Similar Threads - need install bit

2. What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...: What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-if-i-cant-get-upgrade-my-pc-from-32/b58b19aa-5d54-4d7f-bd3e-8f1b6c2c8eeb
  3. What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...: What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-do-i-do-if-i-cant-get-upgrade-my-pc-from-32/b58b19aa-5d54-4d7f-bd3e-8f1b6c2c8eeb
  4. What do I do if I can't get upgrade my pc from 32 bit to 64 bit EVEN if it has a 64 bit...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. what do I need to do?

what do I need to do?: my windows surface has been showing an error of "The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install Windows, click "OK' to restart the computer, and then restart the installation." after clicking "OK" it...
  6. Need to do a clean install for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Need to do a clean install for Windows 10 Pro 64 bit: I need to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. My PC has been working on a 32 bit system. As an artist I want to upgrade it to a 64 bit system. It is running Windows 10 32 bit system. I has checked my processor and it will run a 64 bit system. I have upgrade my ram to 32GBs. I have...
  7. HOw do I change window 32 bit to 64 bit?

HOw do I change window 32 bit to 64 bit?: HOw do I change window 32 bit to 64 bit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-change-window-32-bit-to-64-bit/e7163e22-e272-4f03-a81f-04e92f996d5f
  8. Trying to install Windows 10 64-bit but unable to do so

Trying to install Windows 10 64-bit but unable to do so: Hello, I've read through various posts but haven't come across one that is exactly what we are dealing with. My son recently built a gaming PC and we are trying to install Windows 10 on his machine. We have the Windows 10 .iso file on a USB drive. When we plug in the drive...
  9. Do I need to buy a new copy of Windows 10 64 bit

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Do I need to buy a new copy of Windows 10 64 bit: So I have an Alienware Alpha R2 I'm planning to buy a new computer since I'm reusing my harddrive from Alpha R2 . It has an activated Windows 10 64 bit OEM so if I put it in my new system and move windows 10 from HDD to m.2 will it still be activated? submitted by /u/KTK27...
  10. 32-bit or 64-bit? Which version do I install [or do I install BOTH]?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    32-bit or 64-bit? Which version do I install [or do I install BOTH]?: < Feeling like I should know the answer to this, but admittedly, I don't... *Huh > When interested in downloading and installing new apps or programs on my [Windows 10, 64-bit OS/x64-based proc] laptop, and company/mfr offers links to download in both 64-bit and 32-bit,...