Windows 10: What do the two different symbols in the lower left of the icon on the desktop, mean?

Discus and support What do the two different symbols in the lower left of the icon on the desktop, mean? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I've recently noticed that there's a difference in the lower left of the icons for applications on my desktop. I originally thought that it was just an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Doctor-Who, Sep 5, 2021.

1. What do the two different symbols in the lower left of the icon on the desktop, mean?

I've recently noticed that there's a difference in the lower left of the icons for applications on my desktop. I originally thought that it was just an indication used for a shortcut. But now I'm wondering if some reference a shortcut, but the other references ... something else? Here's a snapshot of what I'm talking about:I've drawn a yellow rectangle around each of the things I'm asking about. In the picture above there's a blue arrow with a curve, which I've always associated with a shortcut. In this case a shortcut to the Quicken application. Then in a causal, quick glance at other icons

:)

Doctor-Who, Sep 5, 2021

2. Erroneous symbols at the bottom left corner of desktop icons

I'm running Windows 10 with the latest updates. A few days ago, the icons for objects on the desktop changed appearance. The icons are correct but
    all have a symbol at the bottom left corner:

• Shortcuts show the correct shortcut symbol
    • All files erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Almost all folders erroneously show a shortcut symbol
    • Some folders erroneously show "X"

The icons for files and folders (including the Desktop folder) displayed using File Explorer are all normal.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

KenSympson, Sep 5, 2021
  3. My Desktop Icons shift to the left edge on a weekly basis

Hi,

To assist you better, I would like to get more information regarding the issue that you re facing.

Does that mean that you customize the icons on the desktop and it will auto arrange to the left side of the desktop?

As an initial troubleshooting step, I suggest you to uncheck the option
    Align icons to the Grid
    option. To do so,

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on View.
    • Uncheck Align icons to the Grid option.
    Hope the information helps if the issue still persists, reply with the more information regarding the issue that you are facing. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Sep 5, 2021
  4. What do the two different symbols in the lower left of the icon on the desktop, mean?

Cannot put icons on the left side of my desktop

Hi Charlie,

You should be able to arrange your desktop icons however you want. Since you want them all aligned on the left side of your desktop screen, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Right-click at a blank area on your desktop.
    • Hover on View.
    • In the right pane, look for Auto arrange icons. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.
    • Hover again on View.
    • This time, check Align icons to grid. Your icons should now be aligned on the left side of the screen.

Let us know if the issue persists so we can further assist you.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Sep 5, 2021
Thema:

What do the two different symbols in the lower left of the icon on the desktop, mean?

1. What do the two different symbols in the lower left of the icon on the desktop, mean? - Similar Threads - different symbols lower

2. What does this symbol mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this symbol mean?: Does anyone know what this above symbol means? I am disconnected from wifi every 5-10 min and when I reconnect it has this symbol. It also has dialogue saying "This wifi's information has changed". See belowAny ideas? Already tried system restarts, and the...
  3. What does this symbol mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does this symbol mean?: Does anyone know what this above symbol means? I am disconnected from wifi every 5-10 min and when I reconnect it has this symbol. It also has dialogue saying "This wifi's information has changed". See belowAny ideas? Already tried system restarts, and the...
  4. What does this Symbol mean on my desktop background

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does this Symbol mean on my desktop background: This symbol popped up after recently installing a new monitor and creating a dual monitor setup. It only appears on the new Monitor which is an Acer Nitro XZ322QU. You can click on it and it will change the icon appearance to a more closed icon or just leave it the way it is....
  5. What does this Symbol mean on my desktop background

What does this Symbol mean on my desktop background: This symbol popped up after recently installing a new monitor and creating a dual monitor setup. It only appears on the new Monitor which is an Acer Nitro XZ322QU. You can click on it and it will change the icon appearance to a more closed icon or just leave it the way it is....
  6. What does this Symbol mean on my desktop background

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Running Win 10 - what do the icons next to drive symbols mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Running Win 10 - what do the icons next to drive symbols mean?: My external USB drive mapped to G: will randomly pop up in File Explorer and disturb or stop whatever I am doing at the moment. It looks like a timer icon or something next to the drive icon in FE see below. What does the icon mean, and is there some way to stop it from...
  8. Running Win 10 - what do the icons next to drive symbols mean?

Running Win 10 - what do the icons next to drive symbols mean?: My external USB drive mapped to G: will randomly pop up in File Explorer and disturb or stop whatever I am doing at the moment. It looks like a timer icon or something next to the drive icon in FE see below. What does the icon mean, and is there some way to stop it from...
  9. Windows 10 two small curved arrows in lower left corner of desktop icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 two small curved arrows in lower left corner of desktop icons?: Most (not all) of desktop icons now have two small curved arrows in the lower left corner, although most shortcut icons still have a single arrow there. These new arrows popped up for .jpg, .pdf, Word and Excel files on the desktop. What happened and why? [ATTACH]...
  10. What is the meaning of the ^ symbol in cmd.exe

in Windows 10 Support
    What is the meaning of the ^ symbol in cmd.exe: cmd.exe C:>^ more? What is the meaning of the ^ symbol in cmd.exe 115306