Windows 10: What do these redundant indexing options even do?

Discus and support What do these redundant indexing options even do? in Cortana to solve the problem; I had huge problem with several external HDDs and even SSDs due to indexing. My system slowed down and mouse cursor was replaced with progress wheel... Discussion in 'Cortana' started by zdv79, Jan 17, 2023.

1. zdv79 Win User

What do these redundant indexing options even do?

I had huge problem with several external HDDs and even SSDs due to indexing. My system slowed down and mouse cursor was replaced with progress wheel several times a second. I couldn't safely remove the drive because indexing prevented this.It turns out, I had to disable indexing service.Now I have question on what those indexing properties do.1. There are "Indexing Options" in control panel, they never included external HDDs, yet indexing somehow slowed down HDDs, why?2. Even with "Indexing Options" not containing any folder or drive and indexing service disabled, a freshly formatted HDD

:)

zdv79, Jan 17, 2023
  2. David Haz Win User

Unable to make changes in Indexing Options

Hello,

We suggest to run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter and check if it helps with the indexing issue you are experiencing.

Here's how you may run the Search and Indexing Troubleshooter:

• Press the Windows key + X, and then click
      Control Panel
    • Type Troubleshooting, and then click View all.
    • Click Search and Indexing.
    • Follow the steps provided by the troubleshooter.

Tell us how it goes.

Regards.

David Haz, Jan 17, 2023
  3. pepanee Win User
    Indexing options does not respond

Hi, ignore my post right above this. You don't need to post a screenshot.

First, make sure you tried this method:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...-fix-solutions
    Look what it says under Windows 10. Follow along that tutorial.
    After completion, restart your computer and check Indexing Options

If that didn't work:

I found two other methods for you that you should try. They're a little advanced, yet the steps are very simple to follow since there is picture tutorials of it. But please be very careful and follow the steps exactly and follow along with the pictures!
    Go here: Repairing Windows Search Indexer Problems

There are 14 items listed under contents.

Press #12 Indexer Registry Fix.
    Follow along with that tutorial EXACTLY with the pictures that help you follow along.
    After restarting the computer, check Indexing Options

If that didn't work

Press #13 Delete Search Index Folder.
    After restarting the computer, check Indexing Options

pepanee, Jan 17, 2023
  4. IzWebUsr Win User

OneDrive no longer in list of folders to index in "Indexing Options"

Ref: Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)

Dear All,

After an Windows update today, OneDrive folder is no longer listed as a folder available for indexing in the "Indexing Options" control panel.

I have tried restarting, deleting the index, unlinking PC from OneDrive and relinking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

By the way, why is the OneDrive Category locked when posting questions?!

IzWebUsr, Jan 17, 2023
Thema:

1. What do these redundant indexing options even do? - Similar Threads - redundant indexing options

2. What do these redundant indexing options even do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What do these redundant indexing options even do?: I had huge problem with several external HDDs and even SSDs due to indexing. My system slowed down and mouse cursor was replaced with progress wheel several times a second. I couldn't safely remove the drive because indexing prevented this.It turns out, I had to disable...
  3. What do these redundant indexing options even do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What do these redundant indexing options even do?: I had huge problem with several external HDDs and even SSDs due to indexing. My system slowed down and mouse cursor was replaced with progress wheel several times a second. I couldn't safely remove the drive because indexing prevented this.It turns out, I had to disable...
  4. Optional Updates Drivers: What do they do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Optional Updates Drivers: What do they do?: Where can I find detailed information about driver updates optional updates?I would like to know what each update does before uploading it.On my computer I am presented with 10 optional updates. I read elsewhere that installing all of them would be a bad idea. But I cannot...
  5. Optional Updates Drivers: What do they do?

Optional Updates Drivers: What do they do?: Where can I find detailed information about driver updates optional updates?I would like to know what each update does before uploading it.On my computer I am presented with 10 optional updates. I read elsewhere that installing all of them would be a bad idea. But I cannot...
  6. What do the Language Bar options mean?

What do the Language Bar options mean?: Hi everyone,I'm having issues understanding what the different options in the language bar means. When I turn them on/off I can't notice any difference....
  7. Indexing options

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Indexing options: how to reset the index settings back to factory default? In the modifying section, I have selected all the folders which give me more than the required results all the time. I am not asking how to rebuild it, but to reset only indexes. Please provide a solution. Try...
  8. What can I do to minimize indexing?

in Windows 10 Support
    What can I do to minimize indexing?: Hello, Win 10 Home v2004 x64 If I exclude C:\ will I minimize indexing? I don't want faster results when I search for files. In fact I would like to disable this option but is not possible, what option do I have? Thanks [img] 163395
  9. what do I even do at this point

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what do I even do at this point: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/the_berfy_buff [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/go8hp3/what_do_i_even_do_at_this_point/
  10. Searching in file explorer not working. No folders in indexing options, what to do?

in Cortana
    Searching in file explorer not working. No folders in indexing options, what to do?: [ATTACH] Indexing options shows a never-ending "Waiting to receive indexing status.." Clicking on Advanced causes it to freeze completely, can't even close the app without the use of Task Manager. Occasionally Modify will be ungreyed, but when I click it, it just loads...