Windows 10: what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run?

Discus and support what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As the title says I recently installed Acronis true image, upon reboot i got the black screen of death, no bios ..nothing... i had to strip the GPU out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by snadge, Apr 1, 2018.

1. snadge Win User

what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run?

As the title says I recently installed Acronis true image, upon reboot i got the black screen of death, no bios ..nothing... i had to strip the GPU out - blow the dust off and it started up but this time 2 problems so farall my torrents say ERROR CANT OPEN TORRENT FILE even though they are all there in the same directory still and the drive letters are the same as before

and when i open run and type %APPDATA% I get the WHAT DO YOU WANT TO OPEN WITH THIS? and explorer isnt in the list

what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run? [​IMG]

can anyone help? thanks

:)

snadge, Apr 1, 2018

2. Message on startup: What do you want to use to open this file .4dc5456 ?

Is the location of the file specified?

Open Task Manager and look at startup programs.

Anything suspicious?

Anything you don't remember installing?

Don

Don Varnau, Apr 1, 2018
  3. Message on startup: What do you want to use to open this file .4dc5456 ?

I have run Nortons, McAfee & McAfee Stinger 64

Did you properly remove and cləan all prior rəaltime
    anti-virus products?

`~`

When you uninstalled it, did you also run their removal tool, found here:

<<https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us?entsrc=redirect_pubweb&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1>>

Add or Remove doens't get rid of everything Norton, and it's possible that left-behind-entries are mucking up your system.

`~`

Same as above, Did you uninstall the McAfee application AND THEN download run the McAfee Consumer Products Rəmoval Tool

This document explains how to remove and reinstall McAfee Consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool.

Run their removal tool, found here:

<<http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331>>

`~`

AppRemover now part of
    OESIS Endpoint Assessment Tool (which can scan for and remove
    multiple anti-malware products):

http://www.appremover.com/access-appremover-through-oesis-endpoint-assessment-tool

*http://www2.opswat.com/appremover-in-oesis

`~`

After running the above tools, if you can start the computer in Safe Mode it may be worth a try to do a System Restore to a time before

this issue began.

`~`

Question - Go to Security and Maintenance, Look in Security and see what program is listed under Virus Protection

In the search box enter security and maintenance then select Security and Maintenance

`~`

José Antonio Pontón Posada CEO, Apr 1, 2018
  4. bro67 Win User

What is the file? Probably a bad torrent.

bro67, Apr 2, 2018
  5. snadge Win User
    was corrupted, having to re-add 150 torrents, also %APPDATA% doesnt work on windows 10 if you have 'enable hidden files' on???

snadge, Apr 2, 2018
  6. Bree New Member
    @snadge seems to have marked this thread 'Solved' now. What was it in the end?

Bree, Apr 4, 2018
  7. bro67 Win User
    Again, what program do you want to run? That string you are asking about, needs a program name to have it run. You will always get that menu if you do not tell Windows what program that you want to run.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
  8. what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run?

You have something really screwed up within Windows, that you can't run %APPDATA% from the Run-dialog reveals this issue.

What is causing this and how to fix it, is beyond my expertise. Easiest would be to start from a clean slate.

What you could try though is, create a new user account and test if things like %APPDATA% works from that account. Then that proves that your main user account registry is corrupted.

slicendice, Apr 5, 2018
  9. Bree New Member
    APPDATA is an environment variable containing the path to a folder. Running %APPDATA% opens File Explorer at that folder. For a default install that would be C:\Users\<yourname>\AppData\Roaming

Sounds like something, malware perhaps, may have changed the content of your APPDATA. To see what yours is actually set to, open a command prompt and type:

SET APPDATA

This is what you should see, what does yours say?

what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run? [​IMG]

Another possibility is that malware has changed the default action for opening File Explorer. Either way, I'd recommend a scan with AdwCleaner as a matter of urgency.

AdwCleaner - Free Adware Cleaner & Removal Tool

Picking up malware is an occupational hazard of frequenting Torrent sites, so I hear...

Bree, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run? - Similar Threads - open %APPDATA% run

2. When opening %appdata% I get "How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When opening %appdata% I get "How do you want to open this file: my friend got his new windows 10 pc when he does %appdata% or something like that on his pc it says "how do you want to open this file" please tell us a fix...
  3. When opening %appdata% I get "How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When opening %appdata% I get "How do you want to open this file: my friend got his new windows 10 pc when he does %appdata% or something like that on his pc it says "how do you want to open this file" please tell us a fix...
  4. When opening %appdata% I get "How do you want to open this file

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. what application asks the user what do you want to do

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what application asks the user what do you want to do: Elderly person needs to have the option of "what do you want to do" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-application-asks-the-user-what-do-you-want-to/7c75846b-7b2f-4d4e-8330-b1518f2f66f7
  6. what application asks the user what do you want to do

what application asks the user what do you want to do: Elderly person needs to have the option of "what do you want to do" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-application-asks-the-user-what-do-you-want-to/7c75846b-7b2f-4d4e-8330-b1518f2f66f7
  7. %appdata% not opening in run

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    %appdata% not opening in run: Hi, every time I open run and type %appdata%, it usually opens "C:/user/programdata/roaming" but ever since I installed and uninstalled nox player, it has been acting strange. Not it asks me "How do you want to open this file?", which shouldn't be happening. I opened it on...
  8. Whats the Point ? what do you want to open this file with

Whats the Point ? what do you want to open this file with: I am a long time trying to get an answer to this question. Every time I start my laptop I am presented with a list of programs, which asks, what do you want to open this file with IT NEVER LETS YOU KNOW WHAT FILE IT IS. How are you supposed to know what to pick?. Any other...
  9. "Do you want to open this file?"

in Windows 10 Support
    "Do you want to open this file?": Every time I want to open downloaded from internet image file I receive a warning message "do you want to open this file?" which makes me crazy.Is any way to disable this,PLEASE? 27759
  10. Do you want to run this file?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do you want to run this file?: I get this popup most every time I open an install .exe file. Maybe I'm supposed to stop, think and realize that "Gosh. I really don't want to run this file! Why the heck did I download it anyway?" But so far, after searching for it, weighing the options and downloading it, I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what do you want to open this with? on %APPDATA% on run?

2. cannot go to appdata from run dialog