Windows 10: What does Automatic (Trigger Start) and Manual (Trigger Start) mean for Windows Services

Discus and support What does Automatic (Trigger Start) and Manual (Trigger Start) mean for Windows Services in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH]Windows Services are types of programs that can run by themselves in the background or when an event can trigger it to start and stop. […]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Jun 17, 2020.

1. WinClub New Member

What does Automatic (Trigger Start) and Manual (Trigger Start) mean for Windows Services

WinClub, Jun 17, 2020
  2. Mystere Win User
    Mystere, Jun 17, 2020
  3. balubeto Win User
    balubeto, Jun 17, 2020
  4. What does Automatic (Trigger Start) and Manual (Trigger Start) mean for Windows Services

Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services

Hi Balubeto.

Greetings from the distant future.

I'm not sure why the other user was being so difficult in answering your question.

"Manual" and "Manual (Triggered)" are the same mode, but windows 7, 8 and 10 have added features to the "Manual" mode, namely the ability to add very specific triggers which will start a service which ordinarily would not start by themselves. An example of this is the Bluetooth service on a laptop, where the BT handling service only starts when a device tries to connect to the BT radio.

If your service says "Manual (Triggered)" it means that there is one or more triggers enabled. To look deeper into this, first find the service name:

Open up services (By opening the "Run" dialog and typing "Services.msc"

Locate the service in the list, right-click on it and click "Properties". The Service Name is displayed under the "General" tab. For example, my Bluetooth Device Handler service is called "bthserv"

To find out what these triggers are, open the start menu and type "cmd". Rightclick on the "Command Prompt" list item and select "Run As Administrator"

At the command prompt, type:

sc qtriggerinfo bthserv (obviously replace "bthserv" with the name of your service)

All the triggers for that service will be shown below. To find out more about them, you might need to google or ask about for them individually.

To delete (and please, make sure you understand what you're changing here BEFORE you change it) the triggers for a service, type:

sc triggerinfo bthserv delete (again, replacing bthserv with your service name)

Restart the computer and check the service again using "sc qtriggerinfo". There will no longer be any triggers listed. If you check the service in services.msc, you'll see it now says "Manual" instead of "Manual(Triggered)"

SC is the service config command, QTRIGGERINFO is the Query Trigger Information command. TRIGGERINFO is the command to actually modify the triggers.

To show all SC commands and what else you can do with this, just type SC and press enter. Again, please use great care when modifying services, and if you aren't sure of the outcome, keep reading about it until you do. It's also best to leave these alone unless you have a very specific reason for removing the triggers.

UnmetPlayer, Jun 17, 2020
Thema:

What does Automatic (Trigger Start) and Manual (Trigger Start) mean for Windows Services

1. What does Automatic (Trigger Start) and Manual (Trigger Start) mean for Windows Services - Similar Threads - does Automatic Trigger

2. Why is the "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" Service Set to Automatic Trigger Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is the "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" Service Set to Automatic Trigger Start: I've noticed a service running in Task Manager called "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules", and although it wasn't really consuming any resources, I wanted to check what it was in the Services listthe Service on my Windows 10 Pro 22h2 computer is set to Automatic Trigger...
  3. Why is the "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" Service Set to Automatic Trigger Start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is the "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" Service Set to Automatic Trigger Start: I've noticed a service running in Task Manager called "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules", and although it wasn't really consuming any resources, I wanted to check what it was in the Services listthe Service on my Windows 10 Pro 22h2 computer is set to Automatic Trigger...
  4. Why is the "Ike and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules" Service Set to Automatic Trigger Start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. What file is triggering the antimalware service executable to start?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What file is triggering the antimalware service executable to start?: The antimalware service executable is hogging up system resources on my work computer such that I can't get my work done. I.T. refuses to disable Windows Defender and install something better, so I'm stuck trying to figure out how to prevent these scans from triggering. Is...
  6. Does OneDrive support triggers

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Does OneDrive support triggers: My password manager, Keepass, uses triggers to co-ordinate synchronizing its database. You can configure triggers to tell the synchronization product when to synchronize, for example when the is opened, or closed, etc. Does OneDrive support this type of interaction? Keepass...
  7. What triggers the "Office click to run" service?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What triggers the "Office click to run" service?: Hi all, Jet again OCTR is causing trouble... We've set the OCTR service on manual start so it doen't start at boot-up. The goal is to only start the service when someone opens an Office app. Somehow the service still gets trigger within an hour of booting and at random...
  8. Windows Key Trigger Automatically

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows Key Trigger Automatically: It often happens that while gaming or programming or doing something else that the windows start menu opens without triggering the windows key and minimizing the other app I'm using. Please help me. I have this bug since 2/3 month now and it's really annoying. I'm using a...
  9. Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered) Is that the same as Windows Update Medic Service

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Update Service: Manual (Triggered) Is that the same as Windows Update Medic Service: I am having issues downloading Windows updates (Feature update to Windows 10, version 1809 amd64 2019-03) where it just continues to initialize and downloads but then starts initializing again for hours. So I went to check the settings as posted below in order to fix the...
  10. Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between the Manual and Manual (trigger start) services: Hi I noticed that some services of Windows 10 Preview although I set them on Manual, they are automatically set to "Manual (trigger start". Why? What is the difference between these two startup modes? Lastly, with these services, how do I set them to the first startup...