Windows 10: What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?

Discus and support What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I'm thinking of encrypting my "C:\" SSD on my laptop so if its stolen no one could get on my files. But whenever I search how BitLocker works, ppl... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/GFollower, Nov 7, 2019.

1. What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?

So I'm thinking of encrypting my "C:\" SSD on my laptop so if its stolen no one could get on my files. But whenever I search how BitLocker works, ppl always talk about the encryption and setup process, but I want to know if I have a password on my Windows User Account and I log out, will everything be decrypted? So will Bitlocker only encrypt if I log in and decrypt if I log out?

submitted by /u/GFollower
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/GFollower, Nov 7, 2019
  2. Paola Gar Win User

Need to turn off Bitlocker to install Windows 10

Hi,

We suggest doing the following steps again to resolve the issue. To complete the procedure, make sure that you have the following information:

• You must be able to provide administrative credentials.
    • The drive must be BitLocker-protected.
    To suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption on an operating system drive, please follow the steps below:

• Click Start, click Control Panel, click
      System and Security, and then click BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Suspend Protection for the operating system drive.
    • A message is displayed, informing you that your data will not be protected while BitLocker is suspended and asking if you want to suspend BitLocker Drive Encryption.
    • Click Yes to continue and suspend BitLocker on the drive.

Let us know how it goes.

Paola Gar, Nov 28, 2019
  3. Ernie San Win User
    Bitlocker

Hello Nandana,

To enable BitLocker on your computer, you follow the steps below:

• Sign in to your Windows account with an administrator access.
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type and enter BitLocker.
    • Click Turn on BitLocker.
    • If the system is asking to sing in to administrator access, please do so.
    For additional information about BitLocker, we suggest that you check the frequently ask question on this
    link. The link provided applies to Windows 8.1 to higher version.

If you have other concerns, don't hesitate to reach us.

Ernie San, Nov 28, 2019
  4. What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?

BitLocker Encrypted Hard Drive to MAC

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I suggest you to perform below mentioned steps to disable BitLocker.

To disable BitLocker I would suggest you try the following steps and see if it helps.

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Control Panel.

• Change View by from Category
      to Large Icons/Small Icons.

• Click on BitLocker Drive Encryption and click on
      Turn BitLocker Off.

• Follow on screen instructions. Click on Decrypt the Drive
      when the message appears.
    I would suggest you click on the link below and refer the following article.

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

Scenario 12: Turning Off BitLocker Drive Encryption (Windows 7)

(You can refer the steps in the above link as they are applicable for Windows 10 as well)

Check if it helps.

I hope the information helps. Please keep us posted on the issue. We will be happy to assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Aswin_Anand, Nov 28, 2019
Thema:

What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?

1. What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do? - Similar Threads - does bitlocker ACTUALLY

2. Bitlocker is Actually Garbage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker is Actually Garbage: Hello,I have built and repaired and used many PCs and laptops and nothing is more stressful than getting locked out of your own device because of this software. It happens on every laptop I own and it happens whenever I do something as small as tweaking a setting in the bios...
  3. What does ai.exe actually do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does ai.exe actually do?: What does ai.exe actually do? Of what practical use is it? Why is my system forced to run it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-aiexe-actually-do/51fc11a4-953c-418a-8b7e-fca5ac645560
  4. What does ai.exe actually do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does ai.exe actually do?: What does ai.exe actually do? Of what practical use is it? Why is my system forced to run it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-aiexe-actually-do/51fc11a4-953c-418a-8b7e-fca5ac645560
  5. What does the "fix now" button actually do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does the "fix now" button actually do?: There are a lot of messages on the stupid "there is something wrong with your accounts" message, usually saying to just disable "shared experiences". I am more interested in finding out what, exactly, Microsoft things is wrong, and what actions it would want to take if I...
  6. What does the ultimate performance power plan actually do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does the ultimate performance power plan actually do?: In win10 you can enbale a so called "ultimate performance power plan" using terminal, it says it uses all available resources, Im looking for an explaination of what it actually does in detail if someone has found it, and how it is different from the default "high...
  7. what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???: All, I'm looking at some horrendous performance issues with our Windows 10 environment. Whilst the estate is old and low on resources in a lot of cases I don't think Windows 10 is helping matters. I'm using the usual tools (procmon, perfmon, task manager)to try and get to...
  8. What does BitLocker encrypt?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does BitLocker encrypt?: Does BitLocker just encrypt your hard-drive, or does it also encrypt network traffic like your inbound and outbound emails? 94507
  9. What does Pin To Start actually do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does Pin To Start actually do?: Fresh installation of Windows 10. When I right click an app in the Start Menu (All apps) and select Pin to Start, nothing happens. Nothing about the Start Menu changes. I have multiple Pins but I see no change in the Start Menu. Note that Pin to Taskbar does work....
  10. what does the battery saver actually do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does the battery saver actually do?: Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not 100% sure what it does exactly. Does it disable the auto update of programs? Does it make some apps and stuff not work? 28788

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what does bitlocker do in windows 10