Windows 10: What does BitLocker encrypt?

Discus and support What does BitLocker encrypt? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Does BitLocker just encrypt your hard-drive, or does it also encrypt network traffic like your inbound and outbound emails? 94507 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Allegheny, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Allegheny Win User

What does BitLocker encrypt?

Does BitLocker just encrypt your hard-drive, or does it also encrypt network traffic like your inbound and outbound emails?

:)

Allegheny, Sep 28, 2017

2. BitLocker on Windows 10 Home edition

Hi,

my pro 64 bit bitlocker still does not work. the Bitlocker Manager icon will not launch. there is no Bitlocker option on the drive icon.

the-emperor, Sep 28, 2017
  3. obx_bum Win User
    Windows 10 Home Edition Device Encrytion

The Surface 3 does have a TPM 2 module and Encryption is on by default. I am not sure it is actually using BitLocker. The search for BitLocker takes you to the About Device dialog where it does not give you the same options to backup the encryption key
    as the BitLocker app does.

obx_bum, Sep 28, 2017
  4. What does BitLocker encrypt?

Hi Allegheny.

Bitlocker does not encrypt network traffic.

Email traffic to and from server should be encrypted through SSL. Of course that does not cover your mail from server to server across the net. Gmail to Yahoo, or Outlook to Verizon. If you are using browser base mail you should see HTTPS in address bar. Like you see in the TenForums address.

I use a free program to encrypt email but the person I send them to has to have corresponding software to un-encrypt.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 28, 2017
  5. Allegheny Win User
    I got an email at work saying they want to install BitLocker.

Was curious if that will start encrypting my emails or any attachments?

(I take a screenshot of my work hours every week and email them to myself at home. Was curious if BitLocker might screw that up moving forward?)

Allegheny, Sep 28, 2017
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Bitlocker encrypts files on your hard drive. When you boot up, your hard drive is unlocked and your files are available to you. If you were to pull the hard drive and put into another computer, you would need to supply the key to unencrypt it.

So, you will still be able to do what you are doing.

pparks1, Sep 28, 2017
  7. Allegheny Win User
    Good to hear!!

Allegheny, Sep 28, 2017
  8. Allegheny Win User

As a follow-up, what if I had a file stored on my work computer that was encrypted by BitLocker?

Let's say I took screenshots for past months - which I need to do since I forgot to do this earlier in the year - and then I saved them in an MS Word doc. Now BitLocker would encrypt that Word document.

So if I logged in to my computer at work, and attached said MS Word doc to an Outlook email, and then emailed it to myself at home, would I be able to open that MS Word document - which contains screenshots of Q1 timesheets - at home?

Allegheny, Sep 28, 2017
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Yes, the file is encrypted on the hard drive. When the computer is turned off, its encrypted. When you turn it on, and the key is supplied the hard drive is unencypted. So you can open and see the contents of any file. You can send those files anywhere you want. They aren't encrypted when your system is running. They have been decrypted.

So, if you turn on and log in, you are in a decrypted state. If you tried pulling the hard drive out and putting it into another system, it would be encrypted till you supplied the bit locker key.

pparks1, Sep 28, 2017
  10. Normally if you attach a file to an email that file is not encrypted. Same if you copy out to usb key.

There are encryption routines that will place encrypted files on targets but I don't believe you can set Bitlocker up in this manner. Of course I could be wrong.

Caledon Ken, Sep 28, 2017
  11. pparks1 Win User
    Usually when you use Bitlocker you have TPM (Trusted Platform Module) enabled in your BIOS. In effect, the TPM provides Bitlocker with the encryption key (as long as TPM detects that nothing in the bootloader or hardware has changed). So, when you turn on your PC, the TPM module will provide the bitlocker encryption key, which will then be used to decrypt your hard drive.

Here is an example.
    • You go to lunch at Taco Bell, and you leave your computer sitting at the table and walk out.
    • Somebody else walks in, sees the laptop sitting there, and turn's it on.
    • The computer boots, sees nothing nefarious has happened with the bootloader and it will decrypt the hard drive.
    • The person manages to guess your windows password and they are logged in and can see all of your data.
    • Encryption here got you ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, as your Windows password was weak.

Example #2

• You go to lunch at Taco Bell, and you leave your computer sitting at the table and walk out.
    • Somebody else walks in, sees the laptop sitting there, and turn's it on.
    • The computer boots, sees nothing nefarious has happened with the bootloader and it will decrypt the hard drive.
    • Your Windows passsword is too hard and the end user gives up guessing it
    • The person takes your laptop home, takes it apart, takes out your hard drive and then connects it with a cable to their home coputer
    • The hard drive is encrypted, and Windows can do nothing with it, unless you can provide the 48bit bitlocker recovery key. Without that key, the drive stays encrypted and your files are safe.
    • Bitlocker here prevented your drive from being used in another computer to gain access.

So, I'm sitting here at work and my laptop has Bitlocker enabled. I am booted up, and I am logged in. If I get up, and walk away from my PC, anybody can walk up and see any of my files, copy them anywhere, and bitlocker does absolutely nothing to stop them because it "unlocked the drive" when the computer turned on. It's now in a decrypted state.

Lo

pparks1, Sep 29, 2017
  12. Allegheny Win User
    I thought the way encryption worked is that when I log into my work computer, files are decrypted, and thus accessibel to me.

And when I attach an encrypted file to and email and send it to myself, say at home, that when I tried to open the file it would have been encrypted again somewhere along the line.

Or I also thought that there would be some kind of an intelligent link saying, "Hey this person is trying to open an encrypted file that is not on the original host system, so therefore do not decrypt the file. (Similar to how if you swapped out an encrypted drive and tried to boot from it it wouldn't let you.)

I was sure I once worked someone that had "intelligent encryption" like that...

Allegheny, Sep 29, 2017
  13. What does BitLocker encrypt?

Files are un-encrypted as you need them. If you had to un-encrypt a million files every time you logged in you would never get to use your computer.

You can encrypt a file, send it and it will stay encrypted. The person at the other end has to have keys and software to un-encrypt.

Bitlocker does not do this.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Sep 29, 2017
  14. Allegheny Win User
    Okay, so Bitlocker is like a lock to your house - once you unlock it (log in) you have access to everything inside. But then you coul use some other software to encrypt a particular file, and that would be like putting your will into a safe. Even if you get into the house (log in), you would need to unlock the safe to get to your will.

It that sorta how it works with what I am asking?

Allegheny, Sep 29, 2017
  15. I'm going to say yes.

Bitlocker protects the contents of your house. You can put something in a safe and you could even ship that safe to a friend. They would need combo to unlock. There are lots of "Safe" products. Veracrypt is one such product. 7Zip is another.

If you want to send encrypted email to friend then Mailvelope is one product I use. Only draw back is you can send encrypted attachments. It works with Outlook.com and Gmail, browser versions. Only when you or the recipients are reading mail is it unencrypted.

I wonder if the NSA has hacked in?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What does BitLocker encrypt? - Similar Threads - does BitLocker encrypt

2. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker encryption: Hello, ive been locked out of my windows account, since i need my old security old email. Which i no longer have acces to, ive contacted microsoft, and they gave me 2 options. Wait 30 days to update security mail and i dont know if they even will do it or clean install which...
  3. Bitlocker encryption

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  4. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi, I'm unable to encrypt some of my disks with bitlocker. I have been able to encrypt two SSDs and a single hard drive but the other two hard drives I have simply do not show up in the BitLocker Drive Encryption GUI.One of the disks I have issues with is a 1tb WD black disk...
  5. What is the passphrase for Bitlocker Encryption Drives?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the passphrase for Bitlocker Encryption Drives?: I have a Windows 11 Home install with Device Encryption turned on. I am trying to access my locked partition outside of Windows. What is the passphrase to unlocking it? Is it my Microsoft account password? My Bitlocker recovery key? Windows hello pin? There are a few more...
  6. What is the passphrase for Bitlocker Encryption Drives?

What is the passphrase for Bitlocker Encryption Drives?: I have a Windows 11 Home install with Device Encryption turned on. I am trying to access my locked partition outside of Windows. What is the passphrase to unlocking it? Is it my Microsoft account password? My Bitlocker recovery key? Windows hello pin? There are a few more...
  7. Bitlocker encryption

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bitlocker encryption: Hi Everyone,I am trying to change the bitlocker encryption method to AES 256, And i am trying to find the right command that i can execute from command prompt to change this.Could someone suggest on this?RegardsKevin...
  8. BitLocker encryption

BitLocker encryption: I have a secondary user who has access from another to my OneDrive files. I want to keep it that way. What effect does turning on BitLocker encryption have on their ability to access my OneDrive files?...
  9. Bitlocker Encryption

Bitlocker Encryption: I support a remote laptop at a site I have never been to. I have been assured that the laptop is left only in a secured room and used by two trustworthy people. The following problem has happened twice in the last year. I was informed the bitlocker PIN has stopped working...
  10. No BitLocker, No device encryption what to do?

No BitLocker, No device encryption what to do?: I'm using Home version and there is no BitLocker or even Device Encryption in the Settings. I want to know if I can download Bitlocker or any alternative of this app, I want to encrypt my Drives...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. does bitlocker encrypt emails?