Windows 10: What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?

Discus and support What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I did a Google search and the explanations were esoteric to me. Are repairs to the hard drive done and are the repairs permanent? 131780 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by jwblue, Apr 30, 2019.

1. jwblue Win User

What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?

I did a Google search and the explanations were esoteric to me.

Are repairs to the hard drive done and are the repairs permanent?

:)

jwblue, Apr 30, 2019
  2. Jelo Sen Win User

chkdsk c: /F

It might be an error on the drive. We suggests that you follow the troubleshooting steps below:

• Run Disk Cleanup utility to clear your junk files.
    • Open an elevated CMD type sfc /scannow and hit Enter to run the System File Checker.
    • Once the scan is completed, restart your computer. Remember to exit ChkDsk
      during boot.
    • Next, again open CMD as admin type
      Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
      and hit Enter to repair the Windows image.
    • Now see if ChkDsk able to complete the scan.

Note: Before doing the steps, make sure you save a back up of your files.

Let us know how it goes.

Jelo Sen, Apr 30, 2019
  3. Jelo Sen Win User
    chkdsk c: /F

We appreciate the response. I'm referring to Check Disk (chkdsk) utility tool. If you haven't tried yet, we suggest that you run a chkdsk by:

• Press Windows Key + X button to bring up the power user menu.
    • In the power user menu, select the Command Prompt (Admin) option.Click Yes when you are presented with a UAC window requesting permission to launch the Command Prompt as Administrator.
    • In the new Command Prompt window, type chkdsk E: /f /r /x. Here you should replace E with your drive letter.
    This option will run chkdsk to check and repair disk errors in Windows 10. The “/f” parameter tells CHKDSK to fix any errors it finds; “/r” tells it to locate the bad sectors on the drive and recover readable information; “/x” forces the drive to dismount
    before the process starts.

Keep us updated with the result.

Jelo Sen, Apr 30, 2019
  4. axe0 Win User

What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?

It is an incorrect conclusion TBH, chkdsk will say if it found a bad sector after a stage is done.
    So, there are 5 stages,
    1. file structure scan,
    2. file name linkage scan,
    3. security descriptors scan,
    4. user data scan,
    5. free space scan
    if in stage 4 a single sector is found then chkdsk will mention that after the scan of stage 4 is finished.

The conclusion is that it is not known if chkdsk found any bad sectors.

Thema:

1. What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do? - Similar Threads - does chkdsk exactly

2. What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?: Hi,I know it's a memory allocated for the BIOS and some drivers, but know can I see what's stored in there; can we manipulate this memory--increase, decrease, set are own preferences?...
  3. What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?: Hi,I know it's a memory allocated for the BIOS and some drivers, but know can I see what's stored in there; can we manipulate this memory--increase, decrease, set are own preferences?...
  4. What exactly does PlayReady® do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What exactly does PlayReady® do?: Hey!Kind of weird question, but I wanted to know what does one get from installing it? How it benefits the end-user; does it block certain features, etc.?I remember having it as an option in the past that came with Windows Media Center, so my question is just a simple...
  5. What exactly does PlayReady® do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly does PlayReady® do?: Hey!Kind of weird question, but I wanted to know what does one get from installing it? How it benefits the end-user; does it block certain features, etc.?I remember having it as an option in the past that came with Windows Media Center, so my question is just a simple...
  6. What exactly does Reset this PC do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly does Reset this PC do?: I had to change my SSD drive, which was under warranty. So I had to give my old drive to the technician who had come to swap out the SSD drive for a new one. Before that, I had initiated a "Reset this PC" process so that all my data is erased and difficult to recover. I chose...
  7. What does this mean exactly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean exactly?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/matthwhz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e77e5p/what_does_this_mean_exactly/
  8. What exactly does "update and shutdown" do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly does "update and shutdown" do?: I want to know what update and shutdown does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-does-update-and-shutdown-do/0f714512-6f93-4f5a-9615-c96a43ffec73
  9. What exactly does Backup do?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What exactly does Backup do?: I am puzzled by the term backup when you go to Settings > Backup. I have a folder on my NAS defined as my backup drive. I have set the time interval to every ten minutes until I am sure of what is being backed up. Does the backup process store MY files as opposed to WIN...
  10. What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What CHKDSK exactly logging and 'flashing' messages on prompt?: [img] This is the screen just before exiting chkdsk. There were bad sectors on the disk. In that case some files, I heard, could be deleted when chkdsk is executed with /r switch, so I turned it off in haste. As you see, chkdsk didn't leave any messages that it deleted or...