Windows 10: What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do?

Discus and support What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Maybe I am asking my question wrong. I am seriously just trying to get to the C drive on my laptop and want to know if I can get there via the boot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by brownin329, Jul 9, 2018.

1. What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do?

Maybe I am asking my question wrong. I am seriously just trying to get to the C drive on my laptop and want to know if I can get there via the boot menu that is on my screen right now. I cannot access my computer any other way and have no access to any other computer.

What will happen to my machine if I select HDD Recovery? will I lose everything on my C drive? Thanks for short answers.

:)

brownin329, Jul 9, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Laptop no longer booting from HDD or recovery USB

According to this link: Booting to the Boot Menu and BIOS
    Your laptop use F2 to access BIOS and F12 to access Boot Menu.

It will take a while to boot. Sometimes several minutes, Did you wait long enough ?
    HBCD only works with MBR disk type and will not recognize GPT disk.

If still cannot boot from Recovery disk. Use your friend's computer and download Macrium Rescue disk from my G-Drive: MacRescue.iso - Google Drive
    The iso is: MacRescue.iso, about 258MB.
    NOTE: Use F2 to access BIOS: enable Boot Menu, disable Secure Boot, disable CSM.

• Connect the USB to the PC. Use Disk Management (Win+R->Disk Management) to find out the disk # of the USB
    • Open Admin Command Prompt (Win+R->Command Prompt (Admin) and type:
      diskpart
      select disk # =====> where # is the disk number from step 1
      clean
      convert MBR
      create partition primary
      format fs=fat32 quick
      assign letter=R
      active
      exit
      bootsect /nt60 R: ====> This will updates the master boot code for the USB
      exit
    • Double click MacRescue.iso. This will mount the iso as a virtual DVD drive with a letter assigned, seen in This PC
    • copy the content of the virtual DVD to R: (Your USB)
    • Reboot your PC and keep tapping on F12 to access boot menu then select the usb with UEFI prefix to boot into GPT mode
    • Once booted. From the Macrium screen, click on Fix Windows Boot problems and follow the screen to complete

What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do? [​IMG]
    • Reboot your PC.

NOTE: If still does not boot then the problem is in the C drive, System file(s) corrupted. You would need to boot from the Windows Installation disk to perform custom upgrade. Use step 2 above to create a bootable Windows Installation. Don't use Rufus.

topgundcp, Jul 9, 2018
  3. No startup boot menu

Hello Kimoefat,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

As an initial recommendation, I would suggest you to access the System configuration utility and check if the Operating System installation path for Ubuntu exists. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Type msconfig in the search bar and select System Configuration from the search results.
    • Select the boot tab in the System configuration console to check if the installation path for Ubuntu exists.
    If it exists, next logical step is to check if the boot menu time out has been set to 0, which results in Boot menu not showing up.

The boot menu time-out determines how long the boot menu is displayed before the default boot entry is loaded. It is calibrated in seconds. To change the boot menu time-out, use the Bootcfg
    /timeout switch. Valid values are from 0 through 999. You cannot use Bootcfg to set an indefinite time-out.

You can run the following Run command line to set the boot menu time-out accordingly. To do so, follow the below steps.

• Press Windows key + X, select
      Command prompt (Admin) to bring up elevated Command prompt

• Type in the following command: bootcfg /timeout 10

timeout 10
      will set the time frame to 10 seconds
    However, if the Boot path for Ubuntu does not exist in the boot menu of System Configuration utility, I would suggest you to check if the Ubuntu is overridden by the Windows installation or if the Ubuntu installation files are corrupted.

Hope the above information is helpful. If you need further information, feel free to write to us and we would be happy to help you.

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Jul 9, 2018
  4. gygabite Win User

What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do?

Changing boot hdd

I downloaded PartitionMagic8.0, but the partition i want to make is not bootable.
    So the system boots from the old, loud hdd, and when i unplug the old, it doesnt boot.
    Any advice or suggestions how to change boot hdd without reinstalling Winxp?

gygabite, Jul 9, 2018
Thema:

What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do?

1. What does HDD Recovery on the boot menu do? - Similar Threads - does HDD Recovery

2. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  3. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What does Windows recovery drive do?: Hi my name is Ahmed Malick,If I create a recovery drive, when I recover PC from USB it is clear that it will reinstall Windows but will it keep files and settings? If it remove files, will it remove only user data. will it keep drivers? What recovery drive feature copies to...
  4. What does Windows recovery drive do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What does the "Use original boot configuration" do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does the "Use original boot configuration" do?: Under "General" in System Configuration, It is unticked by default to me.I want to know what it does and if I should enable it or leave it as is.Here is the image....
  6. what is this? and what does it do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what is this? and what does it do?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/pro-gamer12 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k13h0c/what_is_this_and_what_does_it_do/
  7. what does clean boot do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what does clean boot do?: what does clean boot do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-clean-boot-do/d6972687-5e57-4473-8d2e-d0ec21ae372f
  8. My PC does not boot, what to do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My PC does not boot, what to do?: Hi, I was playing with friends yesterday until the round stopped loading and I restarted the PC. Now my PC does not want to start. [ATTACH] I also tried the BIOS and it didn't work. Does anyone know what I can do now? [ATTACH] [ATTACH]...
  9. My pc does not recognize the new HDD what to do?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My pc does not recognize the new HDD what to do?: My Bios recognizes it but windows does not help. Mein Pc erkennt die neue HDD nicht was tun?
  10. What does Create a Recovery Drive do?

in Windows 10 Support
    What does Create a Recovery Drive do?: Hi I'm not sure from the description what the create a recovery drive option does. Does this make a bootable repair disk, or USB drive, and does it include the files to restore Windows on it or just a disk that lets you access Windows Recovery. I guess I'm asking...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. hdd recovery boot menu

2. what should happen when i chose on boot menu sata hdd

3. WHAT DOSE hdd recOVERY MEAN ON BOOT MENUY

4. boot menu hdd recovery,
  5. hdd recovery in boot menu,
  6. whats the use HDD recovery on laptop boot menu