Windows 10: What does it mean "UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a separate...

Discus and support What does it mean "UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a separate... in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; In the book "Windows 10 Inside Out by Ed Bott" pdf page 278 I read "By default, the UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by jackin, Mar 15, 2019.

1. jackin Win User

What does it mean "UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a separate...

In the book "Windows 10 Inside Out by Ed Bott" pdf page 278 I read "By default, the UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a separate session that requires a trusted process running with System privileges" what exactly does it mean?

Can someone explain this in easy to understand way?

Are their different session certain processes and programs can run in?

Is there any command to see which session program is running in?

What exactly these sessions are?

:)

jackin, Mar 15, 2019
  2. tweaker Win User

GPU-Z and UAC on W7x64

Thanks for the great little utilities.

Any idea when these programs will be compliant to the new(ish) security standards that don't allow programs to have unfettered system access ?

On W7x64 it is quite annoying to have UAC interrupt with a dialog box every time I want to run any of your programs.

Disabling UAC is not an wise option.

tweaker, Mar 15, 2019
  3. Windows 10 UAC not showing dialog after change of settings?

I selected the option in Windows 10 UAC not to dim the screen (3 step down), now when it is expected to launch it doesn't open a modal dialog box. Task Manager reports Consent UI for administrative applications is running, but I can't see it!

I ran User Account Control Settings and switched back to the 2nd step down, but it's annoying to have the dimming.

Any way to get this working?

nigelmercier, Mar 15, 2019
  4. Jenik1024 Win User

What does it mean "UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a separate...

UAC dialog turns off Num Lock

Hi Preeti,

thank you for your reply. I have tried booting into the safe mode and found out that I cannot test the issue there since there is no UAC dialog in safe mode enabled.

I was testing if further in normal mode and found out that:

• The problem disappears when I redice the UAC dialog settings from level 3 (dark screen + dialog) to level 2 (dialog only)
    • The problem does not reappear immediately after resetting the UAC to level 3: NumLock works correctly even with dark screen UAC dialogs until first restart. Then again the UAC dialog silently turns off NumLock
    So not a solution, but a workaround is to disable the dark screen for UAC dialog (level 2 on the UAC slider).

Jenik1024, Mar 15, 2019
Thema:

1. What does it mean "UAC dialog box sits atop the secure desktop, which runs in a separate... - Similar Threads - does mean UAC

2. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this mean?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.Every time my computer, is totally off.And I, turn it on. I see this.Does, this mean. There's a problem,with my computer?I'm, concerned. Is there a way, to stop it.Or, should I. Just not, worry about it?Thanks for reading . . ....
  3. What Does This Icon By Desktop Shortcuts Mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What Does This Icon By Desktop Shortcuts Mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Whoevien20 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i2lcem/what_does_this_icon_by_desktop_shortcuts_mean/
  4. Run dialog box typed history

in Windows 10 Support
    Run dialog box typed history: Good evening, just a simple question, I use to have the history of my previous typed "cmd" in the run dialog box Can you tell me how to have back this helpful behaviour? thank you 160164
  5. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean?: I'm having frequent, seemingly random, full system crashes. There's no warning, no "restarting now" notification. One moment the computer is functioning normally, the next it's running through the boot cycle again. I've reset windows, uninstalled all third party apps I can...
  6. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  7. Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start

in Windows 10 Customization
    Left click does not open dialog box on Desktop or at Start: El botón izquierdo funciona en cualquier otro lugar de mi PC, incluidos los elementos del menú en un menú Inicio abierto. Es una situación agravante que solo se puede arreglar con un reinicio. Lamentablemente, no dura mucho y vuelvo a los bloques de cuadros de diálogo....
  8. No "yes" button in UAC dialog box

in Windows 10 Customization
    No "yes" button in UAC dialog box: Why does user acct. dialog box not have a "yes" choice any more? I've not mad any changes to my computer other than regular updates. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-yes-button-in-uac-dialog-box/ef7fd81b-23cb-4d6b-94da-bebe1a79e54c
  9. What does "DISMISS" mean in this Windows Defender Security Center box?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does "DISMISS" mean in this Windows Defender Security Center box?: I click on the box almost daily to allow manual threat definition updates and do not want to lose that function/ability. Am only curious what would happen if I click on DISMISS ? Thanks, [img] Lee 113621
  10. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430