Windows 10: what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???

Discus and support what does MsMpEng.exe actually do??? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; All, I'm looking at some horrendous performance issues with our Windows 10 environment. Whilst the estate is old and low on resources in a lot of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by markieb25, May 16, 2019.

1. markieb25 Win User

what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???

All,

I'm looking at some horrendous performance issues with our Windows 10 environment. Whilst the estate is old and low on resources in a lot of cases I don't think Windows 10 is helping matters. I'm using the usual tools (procmon, perfmon, task manager)to try and get to the root cause but there seems to be a myriad of issues.

One thing I have noticed is that MsMpEng.exe (part of defender I believe) is continually running against a whole bunch of files and getting fairly long disk response times.

Question is what is this doing running??

:)

markieb25, May 16, 2019

2. Off the chart (literally!) disk usage

Try the steps found here. And happy birthday!

6a27b4c8-cc35-41ee-877a-d2e6419f87ca, May 16, 2019
  3. TCanuck42 Win User
    Building A Computer. Experts Help Please.

THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

TCanuck42, May 16, 2019
  4. TCanuck42 Win User

Building A Computer. Experts Help Please.

THanks for your suggestions. Just exactly how do you actually overclock the cpu. what steps are required?

TCanuck42, May 16, 2019
Thema:

1. what does MsMpEng.exe actually do??? - Similar Threads - does MsMpEng exe

2. rempl folder - what are the .exe programs doing?

in Windows 10 Support
    rempl folder - what are the .exe programs doing?: I just noticed I have the rempl folder in the Programs folder. It appears that the programs in this folder are used by Windows Update? I have collected 100+ LauncherRemediation and Remediation .etl files in the rempl>Log folder. The newest is 12/12/2018 and the oldest is...
  3. What does dxcore.dll do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does dxcore.dll do?: Recently I've downloaded a game involving xTrap. Whenever I launch it, a window pops out and says the system was modified and the file involved is dxcore.dll in system32. I've asked some of my friends and they all reflect that it is nowhere to be found on their PCs. I've...
  4. What does SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe do?: What does SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe do? Please do not respond with a form letter! If you can't dazzle me with brilliance, do not try to baffle me with ****....
  5. whats virtualization and what does it do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    whats virtualization and what does it do?: hi I just enabled virtualization in my bios settings for my notebook because I was experimenting with a feature I was aware the pc had but never used it,but core isolation settings in windows security says its can't be enabled because something might be incompatable,i...
  6. What is VPN & what does it do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is VPN & what does it do: I want to know what VPN is & what it does. Does it slow down the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-vpn-what-does-it-do/02c457a5-404a-4127-9626-b65a9072c093
  7. What does Pin To Start actually do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does Pin To Start actually do?: Fresh installation of Windows 10. When I right click an app in the Start Menu (All apps) and select Pin to Start, nothing happens. Nothing about the Start Menu changes. I have multiple Pins but I see no change in the Start Menu. Note that Pin to Taskbar does work....
  8. help with "secondary logon", what is it, and what does it do?!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    help with "secondary logon", what is it, and what does it do?!: I play World of Warcraft and it keeps producing errors upon installation and gameplay. I've tried everything tech support has thrown at me except changing "secondary logon" from manual to automatic. What does this do exactly? I'm not familiar with this setting and I currently...
  9. what does the battery saver actually do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does the battery saver actually do?: Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not 100% sure what it does exactly. Does it disable the auto update of programs? Does it make some apps and stuff not work? 28788
  10. What does the power slider do ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the power slider do ?: Dear forum readers, With the fall creators update (1709), MS mainstreamed a power slider in the battery UI for everyone using a power plan with Balanced personality. While it surely controls the new power throttling feature (setting the slider in the rightmost position...