Windows 10: What does "no IPv6 connectivity mean? How do I fix it?

Discus and support What does "no IPv6 connectivity mean? How do I fix it? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm traveling, thus subject to public Wifi. Several times I go to the web, and get an error message. "You are not connected to the internet". However,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by therealsimpsons, Jun 8, 2017.

1. What does "no IPv6 connectivity mean? How do I fix it?

I'm traveling, thus subject to public Wifi. Several times I go to the web, and get an error message. "You are not connected to the internet". However, the Wifi icon on the task bar shows that I am on the SSID with internet access.

I checked the status of my Wifi Adapter and it shows what is in the attached screen shot. It says I have IPv4 internet, and shows IPv6 no internet.

How do I fix this? The internet adapter is a Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11b/g 54mbps USB 2.0
    What does "no IPv6 connectivity mean? How do I fix it? [​IMG]

:)

therealsimpsons, Jun 8, 2017
  2. gmemyi Win User

In Network Settings List of open Wi-Fi's How do i delete????

What about applying the same principles/ code to " ipv6" ??????

gmemyi, Jun 8, 2017
  3. how do i enable IPv6

Hi,

Xbox One can connect to networks using two protocols that allow devices to transmit information: the traditional IPv4 communications protocol, and its newer version, IPv6. For Xbox One to connect to the Internet using IPv6, your home router needs to
    have IPv6 enabled, and your Internet service provider (ISP) must support IPv6.

IPv6 expands the number of possible IP addresses (the unique numbers that represent every device on the Internet). And—most useful for Xbox—the expansion removes the need for Network
    Address Translation (NAT)
    , which can interfere with multiplayer gaming and chat over IPv4 networks.

Your Xbox will work normally without IPv6 connectivity. However, for the best possible experience, we recommend enabling IPv6 on your network.

Here’s how to check:

• On your controller, Press the Xbox button to open the guide.
    • Select Settings > All settings.
    • Select Network > Network settings.
    If your Xbox One has IPv6 connectivity, your Current Network Status will read IPv4 & IPv6. (To see your actual IP and gateway addresses, select Advanced settings.)

Several home routers support IPv6 but disable it by default. Check the manual for your router, or visit our Networking
    Hardware Information
    support forum. If your router has IPv6 enabled, but your Xbox is connected on IPv4, I suggest that you try
    contacting your ISP to see if IPv6 is available in your area.

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Jun 8, 2017
  4. Bree New Member

What does "no IPv6 connectivity mean? How do I fix it?

You don't, it's not needed (or used) for internet access at present. About the only thing that uses IPv6 at present is a Windows Homegroup (if you have set one up).

IPv6 is there for future use, see this guide...
    http://mashable.com/2011/02/03/ipv4-.../#vQ_qXJiTuOqn

Bree, Jun 8, 2017
  5. Why am I getting the error message, "Mozilla Firefox could not find the website, Windows 10 Forums. There is no internet connection"?

6. dalchina New Member
    Apparently in about June 2012, ipv6 'went live'
    Rehearsals over, IPv6 goes prime time June 6 | Network World

Any devices not capable of handling the later protocol are, of course, restricted to ipV4.

Thus your device may have ipv6 available, but the one you're talking to may not. However, it would probably have to be significantly old for that to be so.
    (June 2012).

Rehearsals over, IPv6 goes prime time June 6 | Network World
    IPv6: Five Things You Should Know | PCWorld

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-34346803
    BT Network - 2016- to support ipv6 fully.

dalchina, Jun 8, 2017
  7. So, the public Wifi source has an old router? Yes? Or is it my adapter?

8. sml156 Win User

Most (if not all) routers,Lan and WiFi cards made in the last 10 or 15 years are capable of using IPv6 and in fact Windows uses IPv6 on the local network for some of it's services , What you are seeing is that the ISP has not enabled IPv6.

Eventually ISP's will enable IPv6 but to do this they must spend a lot of money to replace their antique equipment, Doing that will not happen anytime soon ISP's would rather stick money in their pocket instead of adding to the quality of your internet connection.

If and when an ISP enables IPv6 you will not have to do anything it should just work. Unless you followed some misguided uninformed person on a help forum who told you to disable IPv6 to fix something which in the end only needed you start,stop or reset your lan or wifi card.

You would probably be surprised to see what country is the leader in IPv6 support
    Bahrain
    Source:
    IPv6 test - Statistics

sml156, Jun 8, 2017
  9. Samuria Win User
    Your wireless adapter is a museum price top speed 54 meg new AC type can run at 3gig. It's not just the speed g type is very old and a lot of routers don't support it any more as most are n type 300 meg or above being old it will not understand modern encryption types. A new adapter is very cheap from £10

Samuria, Jun 8, 2017
  10. Jim74656 Win User
    Your device will (should) be able to handle one or the other, and will choose accordingly, since IPV6 is "live" devices that can handle the standard will default to using IPV6 where the other devices will use IPV4, so it should seamlessly just "work" if your experiencing issues with "no connectivity" at times, you can disable IPV6 (or uninstall the protocol which I DO NOT recommend doing) if you wish, just keep in mind you will be limited to IPV4, however at this time (time of this post) IPV6 is not widely adopted yet (please note I am basing this off my area and what I have found, your immediate area could be slightly different), at this time the only "adoption" I know of is my own house where I have slowly began integrating the IPV6 into my network, and yes I even feel it is complete over kill for a home network standpoint, but I also have a job in the IT field so I try to keep up with technology to keep competitive in the job market....hence me always wanting to learn new things and play with new tech as it comes out...

Please note I would suggest just leaving your setting ALONE!! The age of your hardware/device will also play a very big role in the "can you use it" aspect as well, if your device is with in the (IIRC) past 11 years or newer you have nothing to be concerned on, if the device is older then 11 years old (again approximation) you may be using older standards like wireless B, G or N I mostly use wireless AC on my wifi device (Dell Laptop built back in 2012 I believe) that I swapped a wireless AC card into. So if you can consider updating/upgrading your hardware (if your able to) to newer standards and you should again see little to no issues...I haven't had any ounce of trouble and IIRC my ISP is starting to mess with IPV6 and I have had no gripes about it...yet....

Jim74656, Jun 9, 2017
  11. Thank you for the comments and suggestions.

therealsimpsons, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What does "no IPv6 connectivity mean? How do I fix it? - Similar Threads - does IPv6 connectivity

2. What Does this Mean and How to fix it...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What Does this Mean and How to fix it...: Hello just to let you know that I keep seeing this every time I run a dism Missing Current State value for package: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-LA57-FoD-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.22621.1, force absent so at least it can be re-installed 2023-12-31 18:09:57, Info CBS...
  3. What Does this Mean and How to fix it...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What Does this Mean and How to fix it...: Hello just to let you know that I keep seeing this every time I run a dism Missing Current State value for package: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-LA57-FoD-Package~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.22621.1, force absent so at least it can be re-installed 2023-12-31 18:09:57, Info CBS...
  4. What does this mean, and how do I remove this?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What does this mean, and how do I remove this?: How to I remove this, and what is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-mean-and-how-do-i-remove-this/d09d0ba9-352c-44ba-a545-76fdb006dfe1
  5. what does this mean and how do i fix this?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does this mean and how do i fix this?: this is what greets me when i sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-mean-and-how-do-i-fix-this/6b9580cf-ef8e-4461-a916-21b61388aadf
  6. what does this mean and how do i fix this?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    what does this mean and how do i fix this?: this is what greets me when i sign in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-mean-and-how-do-i-fix-this/6b9580cf-ef8e-4461-a916-21b61388aadf
  7. what does this error mean and how do i fix it

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    what does this error mean and how do i fix it: s[ATTACH]ee the end of this message for details on invoking just-in-time JIT debugging instead of this dialog box. ************** Exception Text ************** System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at...
  8. What does this mean exactly and how to fix it...?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean exactly and how to fix it...?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jukupatka [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8j1y3/what_does_this_mean_exactly_and_how_to_fix_it/
  9. What does this mean? How can I fix it?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean? How can I fix it?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/RayD_22 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/jt410c/what_does_this_mean_how_can_i_fix_it/
  10. What does this mean and how do i fix this?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean and how do i fix this?: [ATTACH]help me with this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-this-mean-and-how-do-i-fix-this/9c7a72fd-65e1-4f49-b010-76f15a6f73ac

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what does IPv6 no connectivity mean

2. does bt support ipv6