Windows 10: What does optimize disk do?

Discus and support What does optimize disk do? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Optimize and TRIM With hard drives, Optimize will do a minor defrag or file system check; with SSDs it forces the TRIM command.. Trimming erases cells... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PC User 007, Jul 10, 2020.

1. What does optimize disk do?

Optimize and TRIM With hard drives, Optimize will do a minor defrag or file system check; with SSDs it forces the TRIM command.. Trimming erases cells and blocks of NAND that no longer contain data, and consolidates data into fewer locations

Ok but what does that mean?

Is “Consolidate” the same as “Optimize“?

I would like to move all the data on a mechanical HDD together, leaving all the empty space together, because that make me happy and the mechanical HDD happy, less work for the HDD arm to do!

:)

PC User 007, Jul 10, 2020
  2. DaveM121 Win User

disk optimizing

Hi fussy063, the System Reserved Partition does not need to be optimized, it is managed and maintained by Windows.

If you are using Norton's to optimize your disk(s), remove that partition from the list of partitions to be optimized and everything will be Okay.

DaveM121, Jul 10, 2020
  3. Disk optimization scheduling in Windows 10

Hi,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• In search select Defragment and optimize drives

• Click on change settings

• In optimization schedule

• In frequency select the options accordingly.
    Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

`

Divya Murugan, Jul 10, 2020
  4. What does optimize disk do?

Disk optimization on an SSD

Hi Ellaryk,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. Let me help you to fix the issue.

Based on your information, yes Windows 10 does disk optimization. Let’s try the defragmenting the disk and check if this helps.

• Open files explorer, right click on the disk and select Properties from the drop down. (Perform a disk clean up).

• Click on Tool and click on Optimize button.
    • Select the disk, click on Analyze and click on Optimize button.
    Hope this helps. Let us know the status.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 10, 2020
Thema:

What does optimize disk do?

1. What does optimize disk do? - Similar Threads - does optimize disk

2. "Reactivate Disk" while disk is "Resyncing": what does it do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Reactivate Disk" while disk is "Resyncing": what does it do?: After a sudden power failure mirroired disks on my Windows 10 machine always enter "Resynching" state. While the disks are resynching, the right-click menu for such disks will include a "Reactivate Disk" command. What is the purpose of that command? What does it do? What...
  3. "Reactivate Disk" while disk is "Resyncing": what does it do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Reactivate Disk" while disk is "Resyncing": what does it do?: After a sudden power failure mirroired disks on my Windows 10 machine always enter "Resynching" state. While the disks are resynching, the right-click menu for such disks will include a "Reactivate Disk" command. What is the purpose of that command? What does it do? What...
  4. "Reactivate Disk" while disk is "Resyncing": what does it do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Disk optimization setting

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Disk optimization setting: How to reset my Disk optimization setting to default.. My laptop working to slow and told me that's a way to make it works more faster. submitted by /u/alimuftah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kfmhbk/disk_optimization_setting/
  6. optimize disk error

in Windows 10 Customization
    optimize disk error: any fix ? i tried sfc /scannow and dism restore health.... and still have the problem [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/optimize-disk-error/9b892a66-aaef-4aee-a05c-c9181914b3c6
  7. optimize disk error

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    optimize disk error: [ATTACH] plz help i tried this sfc /scannow and DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth but still have this problem any fix ? note: i disabled this [ATTACH]...
  8. game crushing after doing disk optimizations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    game crushing after doing disk optimizations: Before I do disk optimizations all my games worked perfectly but yesterday I do disk optimizations to get my pc run faster .after task complete, I try to run gta v but it keep crushing. And Crash Bandicoot . If I reinstall windows 10 The games will run without any...
  9. What does "delivery optimization files" cleanup actually cleans in disk cleanup tool?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does "delivery optimization files" cleanup actually cleans in disk cleanup tool?: Hi, What does the option "delivery optimization files" in disk cleanup tool clean? On Win10 RS3 i could see Delivery Optimization files are created @ C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DeliveryOptimization and logs @ C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Logs\dovsc but these...
  10. What does Drive Optimization mean?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does Drive Optimization mean?: I noticed under Drive Tools that both my drives are scheduled for Weekly Drive Optimization. I have a SSD, C:\, and a HDD, D:\. Defrag is not recommended for SSD's, but Drive Optimization isn't Defined. Does anybody know what Drive Optimization means in Win 10? 14616