Windows 10: What does Pin To Start actually do?

Discus and support What does Pin To Start actually do? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Fresh installation of Windows 10. When I right click an app in the Start Menu (All apps) and select Pin to Start, nothing happens. Nothing about the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by bachastain, Aug 1, 2015.

1. What does Pin To Start actually do?

Fresh installation of Windows 10.

When I right click an app in the Start Menu (All apps) and select Pin to Start, nothing happens. Nothing about the Start Menu changes. I have multiple Pins but I see no change in the Start Menu.

Note that Pin to Taskbar does work.

What is supposed to happen?

Bruce.

:)

bachastain, Aug 1, 2015

2. Drag-and-Drop to Start button: "Pin to Start menu" prompt appears, but nothing gets pinned to the menu

When I drag various shortcuts from my desktop to Start button, a floating prompt appears over the Start button. It says: "Pin to Start menu". However, dropping shortcuts over Start button does not pin anything to Start menu. Nothing at all happens, actually.

So, what is the meaning of that "Pin to Start menu" prompt? Any why doesn't it really pin anything?

Andrey_T04, Aug 1, 2015
  3. theking2 Win User
    Right mouse click --> Pin to start does nothing

Right click on on .exe file and Pin to start does nothing

Steps to reproduce

1. Right click on .exe file

2. select Pin to Start from menu

Expected behaviour: a tile is created on the Start menu

Actuall behaviour: nothing happens.

As I don't believe in anti-virus software no anti-virus was installed.

theking2, Aug 1, 2015
  4. What does Pin To Start actually do?

it should add the item to the right hand side of the start menu

this might fix it

try going into Settings App, Personalization, then set start menu to full screen
    try pinning item again
    go back to the above setting and turn off the use full screen start

this sometimes fixes odd things like this on the start menu

paulsalter, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Ah, that helped me discover 2 things. I was assuming the right side was reserved for Tile apps only, so I was assuming I would see my regular app Pins on the left side (where I'd prefer them anyway). I also discovered that nothing changes on the Start Menu unless I reboot. Changing to fullscreen and back each require a reboot to see the change. Pinning now works (to the right side) but also requires a reboot to see). Extremely Inconvenient as my upgraded Windows 7 PC takes over 7 minutes to reboot. Are the required reboots normal for the Start Menu?

bachastain, Aug 1, 2015
  6. cyberSAR Win User
    I've never had to reboot after pinning an item to start. Have pinned about 12 items.

cyberSAR, Aug 1, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Instead of restarting the PC another way to get this done is by going into the task manager and restarting Explorer.

BunnyJ, Aug 1, 2015
  8. What does Pin To Start actually do?

That does indeed work for me. But I find it difficult to believe either killing explorer or rebooting is what MS intended for their new Start Menu.

If having to kill Explorer or rebooting is not normal, then I'm hoping someone can help me fix whatever is wrong with my PC.

Thanks.
    Bruce.

bachastain, Aug 1, 2015
  9. BunnyJ New Member
    Fast question.. did you have this issue when you upgraded from your previous OS??

BunnyJ, Aug 1, 2015
  10. cristi2k Win User
    I had this issue on a clean install , but after 2-3 reboots , now i can pin without restart.

cristi2k, Aug 1, 2015
  11. I upgraded from Windows 7 Home Premium yesterday, but didn't get around to playing with customizing the Start Menu until today. I wasted a couple of hours trying to figure out what I should expect Pin and Unpin to do.

If you mean did I have menu trouble with Windows 7, no. No trouble at all.

Bruce.

bachastain, Aug 1, 2015
  12. Ok, I have finally seen it work but it's extremely intermittent. Usually Pinning a program from the left of the menu doesn't work. But every once in a while right clicking on an exe and selecting Pin and Unpin to Start does work. The Start Menu changes within a few second of the action. It works a few times and then quits again. But I haven't yet discovered a pattern or predictably recreate. It's beginning to smell of a bug.

Bruce.

bachastain, Aug 1, 2015
  13. What does Pin To Start actually do?

Well, I'm outta ideas. It's not working at all anymore. Dragging the right side icons around works nicely. Pin to Taskbar works nicely. Ping to Start does not, neither right clicking on an All apps item, or right clicking on an exe file.

The pinned item list never updates unless I restart Explorer. There must be some sort of signalling that isn't working. The list of pinned programs is clearly getting updated because restarting Explorer works, but somehow the Start menu isn't being told to update what's on the screen.

I know nothing about how pinning works under the covers so I guess I'm at a dead end. Can't think of anything else but a clean install but that isn't in the cards for the present.

bachastain, Aug 4, 2015
  14. Thought of one more thing to try. I logged out and logged in as Adminstrator (it's enabled). That doesn't work either so whatever it is it isn't limited to my account only.

bachastain, Aug 4, 2015
  15. I had a similar issue like this but in my case the issue was Kapersky Internet Security 2015 that was carried over from my Windows 8.1 upgrade and not fully compatible with Windows 10.

The solution was to un-install Kapersky only saving activation data, reboot, turn Windows Defender off then installing the latest Kaspersky Internet Security (Version 2016 (16.0.0.614en).

IownAmoneyPit, Aug 4, 2015
Thema:

What does Pin To Start actually do?

1. What does Pin To Start actually do? - Similar Threads - does Pin Start

2. What does ai.exe actually do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does ai.exe actually do?: What does ai.exe actually do? Of what practical use is it? Why is my system forced to run it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-aiexe-actually-do/51fc11a4-953c-418a-8b7e-fca5ac645560
  3. What does ai.exe actually do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does ai.exe actually do?: What does ai.exe actually do? Of what practical use is it? Why is my system forced to run it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-aiexe-actually-do/51fc11a4-953c-418a-8b7e-fca5ac645560
  4. What does the "fix now" button actually do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does the "fix now" button actually do?: There are a lot of messages on the stupid "there is something wrong with your accounts" message, usually saying to just disable "shared experiences". I am more interested in finding out what, exactly, Microsoft things is wrong, and what actions it would want to take if I...
  5. Bios does not start to do what right?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bios does not start to do what right?: [ATTACH] Hey, I just finished plugging my pc in and all I see is, what am I supposed to do now? Bios startet nicht richtig was tun?
  6. What does "Manufacturer's apps" actually mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does "Manufacturer's apps" actually mean?: Is it drivers or just those printer apps and whatnot? How do I stop Win10 from unnecessarily touching my drivers? submitted by /u/DaoNayt [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ep2kow/what_does_manufacturers_apps_actually_mean/
  7. What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?

What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?: So I'm thinking of encrypting my "C:\" SSD on my laptop so if its stolen no one could get on my files. But whenever I search how BitLocker works, ppl always talk about the encryption and setup process, but I want to know if I have a password on my Windows User Account and I...
  8. What does the ultimate performance power plan actually do?

What does the ultimate performance power plan actually do?: In win10 you can enbale a so called "ultimate performance power plan" using terminal, it says it uses all available resources, Im looking for an explaination of what it actually does in detail if someone has found it, and how it is different from the default "high...
  9. what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???: All, I'm looking at some horrendous performance issues with our Windows 10 environment. Whilst the estate is old and low on resources in a lot of cases I don't think Windows 10 is helping matters. I'm using the usual tools (procmon, perfmon, task manager)to try and get to...
  10. what does the battery saver actually do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does the battery saver actually do?: Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not 100% sure what it does exactly. Does it disable the auto update of programs? Does it make some apps and stuff not work? 28788