Windows 10: What does the "fix now" button actually do?

Discus and support What does the "fix now" button actually do? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; There are a lot of messages on the stupid "there is something wrong with your accounts" message, usually saying to just disable "shared experiences".... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by r.hartman, Aug 6, 2020.

1. r.hartman Win User

What does the "fix now" button actually do?

There are a lot of messages on the stupid "there is something wrong with your accounts" message, usually saying to just disable "shared experiences".

I am more interested in finding out what, exactly, Microsoft things is wrong, and what actions it would want to take if I actually did press the "Fix Now" button which I am not, because giving anyone free license to "fix" anything they think is wrong without fully understanding what they intend to do is just insane.

So, does anybody know what "fix now" wants to try to do?

:)

r.hartman, Aug 6, 2020

2. Start button does not work

My partner restored the start button using

"Method 1: Run the SFC.

Follow the below steps:

• Open Command Prompt.

• Select “Run as Administrator”.

• Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
      Enter.
    Now check for the issue."

Which is given on a different forum answer. This restores it - temporarily (and if you reboot).

But it is now disappearing every few days. The scan shows no errors.

What is the permanent fix? This is a really basic part of Windows 10.

WishIwasnthere, Aug 6, 2020
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

1. What does the "fix now" button actually do? - Similar Threads - does fix button

2. Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Update + Shutdown button actually Update + Restarts instead of doing what it's shown in...: This is an absolutely non-sense in terms of UX, the main reason for UPDATE + SHUTDOWN is when I'm leaving the computer itself updating and starting to do something else in another place, when I've came back home, I've found my PC turned on asking for the password.I've seen...
  3. What does ai.exe actually do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does ai.exe actually do?: What does ai.exe actually do? Of what practical use is it? Why is my system forced to run it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-aiexe-actually-do/51fc11a4-953c-418a-8b7e-fca5ac645560
  4. What does ai.exe actually do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What does ai.exe actually do?: What does ai.exe actually do? Of what practical use is it? Why is my system forced to run it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-does-aiexe-actually-do/51fc11a4-953c-418a-8b7e-fca5ac645560
  5. What Can Cortana Actually Do Now?

in Cortana
    What Can Cortana Actually Do Now?: I'm trying to work out what Cortana can actually do now. In the screenshots below I asked her to open Word, Calculator, check my calendar & add a reminder, like Cortana says I can, but none of them worked. I either got an error message or a Bing search for how to open the...
  6. What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does bitlocker ACTUALLY do?: So I'm thinking of encrypting my "C:\" SSD on my laptop so if its stolen no one could get on my files. But whenever I search how BitLocker works, ppl always talk about the encryption and setup process, but I want to know if I have a password on my Windows User Account and I...
  7. What does the ultimate performance power plan actually do?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does the ultimate performance power plan actually do?: In win10 you can enbale a so called "ultimate performance power plan" using terminal, it says it uses all available resources, Im looking for an explaination of what it actually does in detail if someone has found it, and how it is different from the default "high...
  8. what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???: All, I'm looking at some horrendous performance issues with our Windows 10 environment. Whilst the estate is old and low on resources in a lot of cases I don't think Windows 10 is helping matters. I'm using the usual tools (procmon, perfmon, task manager)to try and get to...
  9. What does Pin To Start actually do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does Pin To Start actually do?: Fresh installation of Windows 10. When I right click an app in the Start Menu (All apps) and select Pin to Start, nothing happens. Nothing about the Start Menu changes. I have multiple Pins but I see no change in the Start Menu. Note that Pin to Taskbar does work....
  10. what does the battery saver actually do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does the battery saver actually do?: Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm not 100% sure what it does exactly. Does it disable the auto update of programs? Does it make some apps and stuff not work? 28788