Windows 10: What does the number after "Powrprof.dll" in the registry mean?

Discus and support What does the number after "Powrprof.dll" in the registry mean? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; The registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings when searching for 'FriendlyName' it will shows a lot of entries,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by tfwul, Dec 18, 2018.

1. tfwul Win User

What does the number after "Powrprof.dll" in the registry mean?

The registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Power\PowerSettings
    when searching for 'FriendlyName'
    it will shows a lot of entries, reading like:
    SystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-122,Allow Standby StatesSystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-561,Allow System Required PolicySystemRoot%\system32\powrprof.dll,-107,System hibernation timeout

Q: what does the number (-122, -561..) mean?

Assume
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\PowerSettings
    is the same as 001 ?

Reason behind this question:
    When turning off the screen of the laptop using a hotkey, it will go on again, after about 2,5 minutes
    (when I use the hotkey again then, it remain turned off)
    So I assume some kind of counter/timer is triggered so the screen turns on after given period of inactivity.

The usual settings (Control->System->Powerplan) they are okay, meaning that the screen should turn off after 1/2 hour of inactivity (on battery), 1 hour on AC.
    There is nothing strange there

So I was wondering whether the number after powrplan.dll might have something to do with it.

Thanks.

:)

tfwul, Dec 18, 2018

2. DLL Missing

The problem is, that the required DLL is not actually even listed there.
    There are just dozens of download adware links from the top to the bottom.

TairikuOkami, Dec 18, 2018
  3. Bree Win User
    Accessing the DLL and Registry

I'm not sure what you think 'the DLL' is but whatever you have in mind is mistaken. There is no such thing as the DLL.

Actually there are thousands of .DLL files, each with a specific purpose. DLL stand for Dynamic Link Library, each .dll file is a library of executable code providing functions that can be called by other programs and code. There is nothing there for a human to read.

To list all the DLLs that Windows uses, open a command prompt and type the command: dir C:\windows\system32\*.dll

This produces a list of 3242 File(s) for my machine. Now, which one is the DLL you want to look at? For further understanding of what a DLL is (and what it is not) read the Microsoft link Berton gave you in post #2. For a less technical view, read: Lifewire - What Is a DLL File? (Dynamic Link Library)

The Registry is another matter, that is readable (and editable) using Regedit. However, it is rather opaque reading and the fact that any changes you make in Regedit are effective instantly (there's no 'Save' option that you can back out of, you are modifying the system as it runs) it is best not to look unless you know what you are doing.

4. b1rd Win User

DLL Missing

I actually posted the link for the "list of troubleshooting steps to resolve your boost_threads.dll problems" which is located half way down the page. I did not mean to promote any downloads.

Why don't I just go back and indicate that on my original post? That way there's access to the 'step-by-step' instructions, which are accessed via those green 'plus' signs next to the topics.

If the link still needs to be removed, then let me know

What does the number after "Powrprof.dll" in the registry mean? [​IMG]

Thema:

1. What does the number after "Powrprof.dll" in the registry mean? - Similar Threads - does number Powrprof

2. what does this mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does this mean?: this is one of my crash reports It's italian:OrigineWindowsRiepilogoErrore hardwareData‎06/‎02/‎2023 23:44StatoSegnalazione non inviataDescrizioneSi è verificato un problema dell'hardware che impedisce il corretto funzionamento di Windows.Firma del problemaNome evento...
  3. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this mean?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.Every time my computer, is totally off.And I, turn it on. I see this.Does, this mean. There's a problem,with my computer?I'm, concerned. Is there a way, to stop it.Or, should I. Just not, worry about it?Thanks for reading . . ....
  4. What does "%V" and "source:ExplorerBackground" means in windows registry

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does "%V" and "source:ExplorerBackground" means in windows registry: Hello there! I'm Saif.I was editing some keys in the Windows registry editor. Actually want to creat an option in the Windows right menu that will open the current path with cmd. I found no article on the internet relating to this topic. and was checking the existing commands...
  5. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/toyfreddym8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8teez/what_does_this_mean/
  6. What does that mean?

What does that mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PiperidinDerivat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j62iz0/what_does_that_mean/
  7. What does this mean?

What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrMinerNiner [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6cowh/what_does_this_mean/
  8. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean?: I'm having frequent, seemingly random, full system crashes. There's no warning, no "restarting now" notification. One moment the computer is functioning normally, the next it's running through the boot cycle again. I've reset windows, uninstalled all third party apps I can...
  9. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  10. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430