Windows 10: What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do?

Discus and support What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Newer builds of the Microsoft Photo App automatically install the PhotosMedia Engine Add-on, itself an app available in the Microsoft App Store. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by José Oliver-Didier, Jul 31, 2019.

1. What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do?

Newer builds of the Microsoft Photo App automatically install the PhotosMedia Engine Add-on, itself an app available in the Microsoft App Store. The description reads: "This add-on activates advanced search capabilities in Microsoft Photos and subsequently helps users find their photos by people, places, or things."

Here is a news article and the author seems as baffled as I am.

I have not been able to find to much information on this. Does somebody know more about this app on how it works? Does it use an online service to improve search results? So far I have not seen any improvements while searching for people, places or things.

:)

José Oliver-Didier, Jul 31, 2019

2. Photo options and search engine in Windows 10

Hi Ruth,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

When you say skip movies, music and games, what exactly do you mean by that?

I would suggest you to use Photo app in Windows 10 so that all the photos will be listed in one place.

For reference Photos app for Windows help:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/photos-app-faq

Note : Steps applies to Windows 10 as well.

You can use any search engine you desire. Bing comes as default search engine in Windows 10. If you prefer some other search engine then you can use that search engine.

Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Thank You.

Sangeeta Sarkar, Jul 31, 2019
  3. kormath Win User
    Lost default photo viewer after profile rebuild

Thanks Brink. I've tried those steps before i started searching Google. After the profile rebuild i don't have the Photo app listed to choose to make it default in either the system settings for default apps or the Open With option.

I can't even find it doing a search. Seems to have been removed somehow with the profile rebuild, which doesn't make sense.

Might be helpful to list what i've done What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do? :) I've done the open with check, the choose default program in the system menu, tried that in device manager default programs also. I've checked the programs and features Turn windows features on/off and it's not listed there (never thought it was but that was a suggestion), searched the MS Store, it's not listed there either.

I don't like playing in the registry unless i have defined steps and haven't found anything for this yet, just the Win7 version like in my OP.

kormath, Jul 31, 2019
  4. What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do?

changing default search engine to google from Bing in IE Edge

To change the default search engine on Windows Edge.

Step One: Open Microsoft Edge

Step Two: type in the search engine into the browser address such as (www.google.com)

Step Three: Click on the three dots top right below the x (close button)

Step Four: Click on settings

Step Five: Scroll and click on Advance Settings

Step Six: Scroll to Search in the address bar with click within the box

Step Seven: Click on Add NEw

Step Eight: Your search engine should be listed Click on it

Final Step: select your choice of:

Add as default

Add

Rico Novice, Jul 31, 2019
Thema:

What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do?

1. What does the Photos Media Engine Add-on do? - Similar Threads - does Photos Media

2. How do add text to a photo

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do add text to a photo: I can see how to edit a picture but not to add text https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-add-text-to-a-photo/884ce6af-506b-4fd8-ab2c-8b4608dbb0be
  3. what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    what does MsMpEng.exe actually do???: All, I'm looking at some horrendous performance issues with our Windows 10 environment. Whilst the estate is old and low on resources in a lot of cases I don't think Windows 10 is helping matters. I'm using the usual tools (procmon, perfmon, task manager)to try and get to...
  4. Windows 10 Photos App: What does this feature Do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Photos App: What does this feature Do?: Windows 10 Photos App: What does this feature Do? May somebody explain this option or feature to me in 2-3 sentences. Location : Windows 10 Photos App> Bottom part of Settings Here's the screenshot. [ATTACH]...
  5. What does dxcore.dll do?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does dxcore.dll do?: Recently I've downloaded a game involving xTrap. Whenever I launch it, a window pops out and says the system was modified and the file involved is dxcore.dll in system32. I've asked some of my friends and they all reflect that it is nowhere to be found on their PCs. I've...
  6. What does SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe do?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What does SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe do?: What does SystemSettingsAdminFlows.exe do? Please do not respond with a form letter! If you can't dazzle me with brilliance, do not try to baffle me with ****....
  7. whats virtualization and what does it do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    whats virtualization and what does it do?: hi I just enabled virtualization in my bios settings for my notebook because I was experimenting with a feature I was aware the pc had but never used it,but core isolation settings in windows security says its can't be enabled because something might be incompatable,i...
  8. What is VPN & what does it do

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What is VPN & what does it do: I want to know what VPN is & what it does. Does it slow down the PC. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-vpn-what-does-it-do/02c457a5-404a-4127-9626-b65a9072c093
  9. What does the power slider do ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the power slider do ?: Dear forum readers, With the fall creators update (1709), MS mainstreamed a power slider in the battery UI for everyone using a power plan with Balanced personality. While it surely controls the new power throttling feature (setting the slider in the rightmost position...
  10. What is this forum engine called

in Windows 10 Support
    What is this forum engine called: I think this forum engine is the nicest of all the 5 forums in our group. The fixed bar that shows the alert, conversations, etc at all times is very practical. No need to always have to navigate to the top of the page to find them. I wish we would get that also in the...