Windows 10: What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

Discus and support What does the Total size column in Explorer mean? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Every file and folder says the same thing in the Total size column.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ftslrmantooth, Jun 30, 2021.

1. What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

Every file and folder says the same thing in the Total size column.

:)

ftslrmantooth, Jun 30, 2021

2. Maintain Explorer Column Sizing

Okay, when I said, This doesn't work .." I was referring to a global fix for folders and subfolders ... Unless i did something wrong.

Your step-by-step instructions seems to have worked, on a per folder basis (I had been using Right click on name column and "Size all Columns to fit" Perhaps there is a difference in manually resizing the column at the dividing line ... but it still doesn't
    resize all sub folders and files globally. If I click on one of the folders in the group I resized, the files in that folder have to be resized also ...

I mean, I guess if this fix works, I can resize the name column of every file folder as I click on them but better would be to resize the Documents file, double click it, click Excel and have all the worksheet file names already sized to fit ...

FredVavrek, Jun 30, 2021
  3. Maintain Explorer Column Sizing

Is there a way to get the Windows Explorer to maintain the column sizes I set for them, especially for Word ad Excel files?

I open the explorer, have it "Size All Columns To Fit" so I can read longer file names. Next time I open the Explorer, not only does it not open at the size I left it after sizing to fit, the "Name" column shrunk back down to some default size ...

Why does this happen? I could understand if I added a new longer filename at some point and the Explorer doesn't resize larger, but why does it automatically resize smaller. This seems a lot of pointless work ...

Is there a (preferably global) solution to this?

Thanks!

FredVavrek, Jun 30, 2021
  4. What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

COLUMN RESIZING

Hi Patrick,

You have the options to use the "Size all columns to fit" in File Explorer.

To help you resolve your concern, kindly follow these steps:

• Open File Explorer in the taskbar or press Ctrl + E.
    • Click the View Tab and then click Details.
    • After clicking Details, you have the option to click the
      Add columns
      and Size all columns to fit.
    You may also read the
    What's changed in File Explorer
    article for more information.

Do let us know if you need further assistance.

Raymond Ave, Jun 30, 2021
Thema:

What does the Total size column in Explorer mean?

1. What does the Total size column in Explorer mean? - Similar Threads - does Total size

2. what does this mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what does this mean?: this is one of my crash reports It's italian:OrigineWindowsRiepilogoErrore hardwareData‎06/‎02/‎2023 23:44StatoSegnalazione non inviataDescrizioneSi è verificato un problema dell'hardware che impedisce il corretto funzionamento di Windows.Firma del problemaNome evento...
  3. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What does this mean?: My computer is a, Dell laptop.Running Windows 10.Every time my computer, is totally off.And I, turn it on. I see this.Does, this mean. There's a problem,with my computer?I'm, concerned. Is there a way, to stop it.Or, should I. Just not, worry about it?Thanks for reading . . ....
  4. WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WinDirStat. Disk space usage. What does this column header mean?: What is [0:32 s] ? 2TB HDD. Is that percentage HDD fee? Why the weird format? Rest of entries are x% https://imgur.com/pOAkObh submitted by /u/CortexExport [link] [comments]...
  5. What does this mean?

What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/toyfreddym8 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j8teez/what_does_this_mean/
  6. What does that mean?

What does that mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/PiperidinDerivat [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j62iz0/what_does_that_mean/
  7. What does this mean?

What does this mean?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/MrMinerNiner [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i6cowh/what_does_this_mean/
  8. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What does this mean?: I'm having frequent, seemingly random, full system crashes. There's no warning, no "restarting now" notification. One moment the computer is functioning normally, the next it's running through the boot cycle again. I've reset windows, uninstalled all third party apps I can...
  9. What does it meaning .....

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What does it meaning .....: launch, the malware creates a file at “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” containing the directory that the malware will save files in. “c:\windows\temp\TMP0389A.tmp” – Intended to contain directory storing keylogs and screenshots. What does it meaning, describe it English...
  10. What does this mean?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What does this mean?: What does this mean? [img] And how can I eliminate it? 94430