Windows 10: What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

Discus and support What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I need to buy an adapter card to make use of an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive. The question I have is what does the X4 mean? The adapter card I am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by alkaufmann, Jun 6, 2019.

1. What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

I need to buy an adapter card to make use of an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive. The question I have is what does the X4 mean? The adapter card I am looking at can be used in a X4, X8 or X16 PCIe slot and they say I will get up to 32Gbps when it is plugged into a PCIe X16 slot. Is the X4 in the description of the NVME drive a minimum requirement and it will work better plugged into an X8 or X16 slot? *Confused

Ak

:)

alkaufmann, Jun 6, 2019
  2. Whitestar Win User

PCIe Gen3 x4 m.2

I just need some quick help with storage terminology.

The title above: "PCIe Gen3 x4 m.2" - is that just a fancy way of saying NVMe?
    I'm a bit confused.

And does it mean that the M.2 port uses 4 PCI lanes?

Thanks *Smile What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive? :)

Whitestar, Jun 6, 2019
  3. CountMike Win User
    Z170 era boards and M.2 2280 PCI-E 3.0 x4 NVME SSD; fully compatible??

Well, it does have:
    - 1 x Ultra M.2 Socket, supports M Key type 2242/2260/2280 M.2 SATA3 6.0 Gb/s module and M.2 PCI Express module up to Gen3 x4 (32 Gb/s)
    That's actually NVMe so that and other fast drives like that will work at full speed. It would be a pity if not used as system drive.

CountMike, Jun 6, 2019
  4. bobkn Win User

What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

does Samsung 960 EVO support Asus Z87 Deluxe Moth. with i7-4770k ?

Sorry, no. There are NVMe drives intended for regular PCI-E slots. The ones for servers may not be available at all in M.2.

Here's an example:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us...-aic-20nm.html

(First Intel consumer grade NVMe SSD. Interface is PCI-E X4, gen 3.)

The chipset and BIOS must support NVMe in order for that mode to function, even though you can insert such a card in older X4, X8, or X16 slots. I'm not sure, but I believe that an NVME SSD can operate on a non-NVMe board. I wouldn't be surprised if the performance loss was trivial (for non-server applications).

I'm not sure why you say that an M.2 Gen 3 X4 interface is faster than a regular PCI-E slot. They are the same (if Gen 3 X4). Same specs.

If you have the slots, a PCI-E NVMe card (not M.2) would be preferable if you intend to make heavy use of it. The cooling on the M.2 cards isn't the best, so thermal throttling may occur to keep the card from overheating.

bobkn, Jun 6, 2019
Thema:

What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

1. What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive? - Similar Threads - does mean PCIe

2. Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive: Hi,Hopefully you are doing well, I'm getting issues related to SSD writing speed, The mentioned SSD writing speed is around 2800Mbs and i'm getting around 120mbs to 250mbs. I recently bought the Hp Victus i5-13420H with 1 Tb Nvme 2 Pci 3x4. In fresh windows the SSD was...
  3. Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 effecting the speed of Transcend 1TB 110S M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen3 x4 Solid State Drive: Hi,Hopefully you are doing well, I'm getting issues related to SSD writing speed, The mentioned SSD writing speed is around 2800Mbs and i'm getting around 120mbs to 250mbs. I recently bought the Hp Victus i5-13420H with 1 Tb Nvme 2 Pci 3x4. In fresh windows the SSD was...
  4. M.2 NVME pcie gen 4

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    M.2 NVME pcie gen 4: Does anybody know if Samsung is releasing a Gen 4 PCIe NVME SSD? I'm just wondering. 157061
  5. raid 2 m.2 NVME drives as one using a pcie adapter and NOT loose speed

raid 2 m.2 NVME drives as one using a pcie adapter and NOT loose speed: i am looking to get two m.2 NVME drives and put them in a adapter to merge them as one (a HW raid if you will) i see adapters like this here but im wondering isn't that switching from NVME to sata 3? will i go to sata 3 speed if i use this adapter or similar? my motherboard...
  6. Sidewinder X4

Sidewinder X4: My uncle gave me a sidewinder x4 keyboard. I plugged it in. And nothing. Wouldn't work. Installed drivers from https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-us/d/sidewinder-x4-keyboard already. I reformatted my computer thinking it may be something wrong with it. It works fine...
  7. easiest way to Clone a laptop with M.2 NVME PCiE SSD drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    easiest way to Clone a laptop with M.2 NVME PCiE SSD drive: I received a M.2 NVme PCIe 512GB SSD as a gift, and I'd like to update my Dell's 3389 laptop drive 256GB (also an M.2 SSD) with this larger SSD. Its a Window 10 system.. BTW Issue is I have no way to clone this since I only have one available M.2 slot, I was thinking to use...
  8. M.2 2280 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    M.2 2280 Gen4 PCIe x4 NVMe 3D TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD): Now these are pretty impressive numbers. You might want to wait for the GEN 3 prices to drop as they will be going to soon. Performance Max Sequential ReadUp to 4950 MBps Max Sequential WriteUp to 4250 MBps 4KB Random ReadUp to 680,000 IOPS 4KB Random WriteUp to 600,000...
  9. What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the X4 mean in an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive?: I need to buy an adapter card to make use of an M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 X4 NVME drive. The question I have is what does the X4 mean? The adapter card I am looking at can be used in a X4, X8 or X16 PCIe slot and they say I will get up to 32Gbps when it is plugged into a PCIe X16...
  10. NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed

NVME wont link up at pcie x4 speeds, only at pcie x2 speed: Device is x4 capable. But it seems this notebook only allocates 2 pcie lanes to the nvme slot. Which cuts the maximum read write times to 1729 mb/s and 1628 mb/sec according to crystal disk info. Otherwise would be close to double those speeds. But practically i dont notice...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pcie gen 3 add ons

2. PCIe X4 mode (Gen 3.0)

3. nvme support up to 32 gb/s using pci-express gen3 x4