Windows 10: What Does Win10 Safe Mode Do?

Discus and support What Does Win10 Safe Mode Do? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I am curious about the exact workings of Safe Mode that a Registry Change made in Normal Mode doesn't seem to take effect on numerous Restarts until we... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by abrogard, Oct 15, 2018.

1. abrogard Win User

What Does Win10 Safe Mode Do?

I am curious about the exact workings of Safe Mode that a Registry Change made in Normal Mode doesn't seem to take effect on numerous Restarts until we Restart in Safe Mode ?

I wonder just what is happening within the computer at such a time? And what does it signify when we consider making Registry changes in the normal course of events?

Might do me good to have this understanding.

That's all I want to know. But shall I provide context/background?

Well this is the background if you want to bother to read it:

My computer hung up and I had to do a hard reset - i.e. switch the power off to shut it down.

It went down and came up again. First time for that behaviour.

Then I found I couldn't switch it off via software. It wouldn't go off, only restart.

Googling got advice to delete profiles with the key - I forget what - 'currentprofileimage' ? something like that. A key with 'image' in it.

I found five profiles all with that key in them. I deleted the four that didn't have any values at the top level.

And restarted as suggested. No change. Nothing different. Still the same stupid eternal restart.

Check the Registry. Yep, the changes were in there. Only one Profile showing.

Googling seemed to indicate I needed a complete update or reinstall or lots of intricate trouble shooting, driving updating and so on.

But I remembered when I'd read to delete these keys it had said to do it Safe Mode and I hadn't done that. I just did in Normal Mode. My typical sloppy instruction following.

So coincidentally somehow found these instructions for rebooting in safe mode. Hold the Shift key and press 'Restart'.

So I did that.

And when it came up in Safe Mode I simply told it to Shut Down. And I'll be damned: it did.

Problem fixed.

So I'm very happy. But I would like to know exactly what went on. Know as much as possible. Where the extra profiles came from and why. Why they had that key in them and what it signifies. Why shutdown was prevented. Why a Registry Change in Normal Mode didn't take effect. Why it took effect in Safe Mode.

:)

abrogard, Oct 15, 2018

2. Password not accepted in Safe mode

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community forum.

Have you tried all the above steps suggested by Sangeeta Sarkar on September 13, 2015.

I would suggest you to provide some information to help you better.

• Are you trying to login the Microsoft account or the Local account in safe mode?
    • Did you try with only safe mode or safe mode with networking?
    • What is the critical error you are getting?

If you are using Windows 10. To go to safe mode you have to follow the below steps.

If you are able to go to login screen in normal mode try the below steps to go to safe mode with networking.

• At the login screen click on the power symbol.

• Hold SHIFT + Click Restart.

• After restarting your system, select the Troubleshoot option.

• Select advanced options under
      Troubleshoot screen.

• Click on Startup Settings.

• Click Restart and follow the onscreen steps to go to
      Safe Mode with networking and check if you are able to login.

[*]
    Please get back with more information, we will be glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Oct 15, 2018
  3. Xylee Del Win User
    Stuck in safe mode in windows 10

Safe mode is intended to help fix most, if not all problems within an operating system, it's not good if we got stuck on it. To correct this, we suggest that you follow the steps below to exit out of Safe mode:

• Open Run command by pressing Windows key + R
      keys on the keyboard and type msconfig in the command box and press
      Enter.
    • Under General tab, put a check on Normal Startup option.
    • Reboot the system and check if the changes are effective.

Let us know if you are able to exit out of Safe mode with these steps.

Xylee Del, Oct 15, 2018
  4. What Does Win10 Safe Mode Do?

Safe mode problem

Hi,

To get better clarity on the issue, kindly answer the questions below:

• By saying that you have a "Safe mode problem," did you mean to say that your computer is stuck in Safe mode or are you unable to boot it to Safe mode?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you attempted to resolve your concern?

If this is caused by recent programs installed on your computer, then we suggest you to run
    System Restore to revert your system files to an earlier date. To run System Restore, follow the steps below:

• Press Windows key + R on your keyboard.
    • On the run command box, type "RSTRUI.EXE" and hit enter.
    • Follow the on-screen instructions.

Make sure that you choose the restore point date when your computer was working fine. Please be advised that programs and applications installed on your computer after the restore point will be removed.

Let us know how it goes.

Monica Cam, Oct 15, 2018
Thema:

What Does Win10 Safe Mode Do?

1. What Does Win10 Safe Mode Do? - Similar Threads - Does Win10 Safe

2. What is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is safe mode?: So I heard about something called booting in safe mode. I know very few about it but can some one please give me detailed information about safe boot. Thanks for your help! :D...
  3. What is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is safe mode?: So I heard about something called booting in safe mode. I know very few about it but can some one please give me detailed information about safe boot. Thanks for your help! :D...
  4. What is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. What does it mean to sign in with safe mode?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What does it mean to sign in with safe mode?: I am having a problem where when I set up my pin it does not work. It said something along the lines of, something went wrong we weren't able to set up your pin you can try again or skip this step and set up a pin laterSomeone had the same problem and an admin responded and...
  6. What does it mean to sign in with safe mode?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What does it mean to sign in with safe mode?: I am having a problem where when I set up my pin it does not work. It said something along the lines of, something went wrong we weren't able to set up your pin you can try again or skip this step and set up a pin laterSomeone had the same problem and an admin responded and...
  7. What does it mean to sign in with safe mode?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Win10 starts to safe mode.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 starts to safe mode.: Afteruninstalling the trial versions of antivirus ESET IS with FW, win10 starts tosafe mode.Probably there will besome rest of the installation that prevents normal.Although MSConfigcancels this safe mode, but only using a selective startup, or minimal safeboot. I.e.do not...
  9. what is safe mode?

in Windows 10 Customization
    what is safe mode?: How did safe mode get on my computer? How do I change it to run normal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-safe-mode/9ab6e0e9-1ed0-4462-b17a-34aacf6704f5
  10. What can I do in safe mode?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What can I do in safe mode?: My windows 10 computer booted up to the safe mode. Now, what can I do from the safe mode? What can I do in safe mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/what-can-i-do-in-safe-mode/b148d5de-4966-4ad4-8037-30ecbb7988e7