Windows 10: What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

Discus and support What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos" in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I should know this ! Maybe old age has gotten to me and not all of my synapses connect anymore. I have been using Windows since XP and have touched... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by theoldwizard1, Sep 24, 2019.

1. What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

I should know this ! Maybe old age has gotten to me and not all of my synapses connect anymore.

I have been using Windows since XP and have touched every version, except 8. I spent many, many years on 7, but some how the actual implementation and purpose of theses folders under C:\Users\name\Documents escapes me.

Windows Explorer shows them as links, but if you try to access them you get "Access Denied". From CMD, DIR says there is nothing there.

:)

theoldwizard1, Sep 24, 2019
  2. Steve C Win User

What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

You can't redirect the shortcut links which is the subject of the post

Steve C, Sep 24, 2019
  3. What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos"

The link has the following advice that, of course, does NOT work in Win10 !

Workaround

If the My Documents, My Music, My Pictures, and My Videos links in the Start menu do not point to the Documents, Music, Pictures, and Videos folders, you must manually redirect these links to the correct folders. To redirect these links, follow these steps:
    1. Click Startthe Start button , right-click the link, and then click Properties.
    2. On the Location tab, replace the wrong target location with the correct target location. For example, to redirect the My Music folder to the Music folder in Windows Vista, enter %systemdrive%\Users\user_name\Music.
    3. Click Apply.

If this was a fix for Vista, it seems kind of sloppy to keep it around !

- - - Updated - - -

If you CHECK THIS BOX they disappear.

theoldwizard1, Sep 24, 2019
  4. enso Win User

Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

Thema:

1. What exactly are are "My music", "My Pictures" and "My videos" - Similar Threads - exactly are are

2. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is it normal in Windows not to have a separate folder for Music? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know...
  3. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is that correct? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know how to do that without causing issues....
  4. My Music Folder is in Pictures

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Music Folder is in Pictures: All of my music on my Windows 10 Professional computer is in my Pictures folder. If I go to c:/users/my profile I do not see a folder for Music. Is that correct? I would like the folder for music to be separate but I don't know how to do that without causing issues....
  5. Where are my pictures and videos?

Where are my pictures and videos?: Hello all,Thanks to the community, it seems I have been able to import all of my pictures and videos from my Samsung cell phone to the computer, using the "Import pictures and videos" option. My meaning by "seems" is that the process did not show any special errors, it just...
  6. Where are my pictures and videos?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are my pictures and videos?: Hello all,Thanks to the community, it seems I have been able to import all of my pictures and videos from my Samsung cell phone to the computer, using the "Import pictures and videos" option. My meaning by "seems" is that the process did not show any special errors, it just...
  7. Where are my pictures and videos?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Can't access My Pictures, Videos, Music

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't access My Pictures, Videos, Music: Hi, I have been unable to access my pictures since I moved my files to a my new computer. [img] [img] Same result trying from C:\Users\Me [img] I don't see any other way to access those folders. There are new Picture, Video and Music folders but they only show up in...
  9. All content of My documents Pictures Music and Videos just disappeared.

All content of My documents Pictures Music and Videos just disappeared.: It just happened. Not even after updates. The same problem people have been having for years as I read forums. No solution that would work for me. Boy what an unreliable windows. What do I do? And yes I tried Hidden files....
  10. Can't access libraries My Pictures; My Music and My Videos

Can't access libraries My Pictures; My Music and My Videos: Today I went to open up a picture and realized I couldn't get into C:\users\xxxxxxx\documents\My Pictures Get a message: Location not available C;\Users\xxxxxx\Documents\My Pictures is not accessible. Access is denied if I right click on properties and click on the...