Windows 10: What exactly does akamai.net download?

Discus and support What exactly does akamai.net download? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Been keeping an eye on my bandwidth usage through my Asus RT-AC69P router after going over last month. Yesterday shows "akamai.net" downloaded 4.5GB of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vice86, May 6, 2017.

1. vice86 Win User

What exactly does akamai.net download?

Been keeping an eye on my bandwidth usage through my Asus RT-AC69P router after going over last month. Yesterday shows "akamai.net" downloaded 4.5GB of data on my Windows 10 PC but I have no clue what it downloaded.

What exactly is akamai for on Windows? What could it possibly have downloaded? I don't have any alerts for WIndows Updates or anything.

:)

vice86, May 6, 2017

2. What exactly does "No Contract" mean?

No contract means exactly that, there's no contract associated with the phone. It's still locked to a carrier unless it says unlocked, but you aren't required to set up a contract in order to use the phone.

fredgiblet, May 6, 2017
  3. Lei. G. Win User
    What exactly does "No Contract" mean?

Anyone?

Lei. G., May 6, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

Samuria, May 6, 2017
  5. Well it could be using your machine to upstream content to others. Lot of different "Akamai" related things come up when you search. He's a sample from Microsoft's site : "They say that NetSession will only use your computer when it is "idle or utilizing minimal network resources." *That means that NetSession is constantly monitoring your network use, and sending that information to Akamai." *

I would definitely remove it as per Samuria's link.

indianacarnie, May 6, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    This is Akamai's official FAQ. including uninstall instructions.

Bree, May 6, 2017
  7. vice86 Win User
    Yeah, their FAQ doesn't help...still vague what's using it. Looking at the links to delete it's no where they're telling you to look. I used Everything Search and it looks like its all with Chrome. No idea how it got there. Shows up first in February.

vice86, May 6, 2017
  8. vice86 Win User

Interesting, its not on my PC in my office. Wonder what i did that this installed on my main PC.

EDIT: Interesting...read that latest Flash update installs it or any Adobe trial you install will install Akamai too....i believe i did both.

vice86, May 6, 2017
  9. Mystere Win User
    Akamai provides a lot of services, but one of the big ones is what's known as a Content Distribution Network or CDN. CDN's are super fast, distributed networks that companies pay to provide access for files, information, data...

Another thing they do is content caching. Many websites use Akamai (including Microsoft) to cache their static web pages.

It works like this, Akamai has datacenters around the world, and they run a distributed DNS network that allows people to get content from servers that are very close to them. In that way, the websites response is very fast, when it might not otherwise be if it has to go across the globe to get the pages.

Think of it like a distributor or dealer for some product. Say, cars. If you had to go buy the car directly from the manufacturer, flying to Michigan or Frankfurt, or Tokyo to get it, it would be quite slow. But, thankfully, they set up caches of vehicles around the globe that let you walk into a local dealer and get one much faster.

So what i'm saying is that it's not uncommon to have a lot of data go through Akamai, even when visiting normal websites (CNN, Microsoft, or many others). In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Windows 10 updates and upgrades come from Akamai. Other people seem to have assumed you mean the Akamai downloader, which wasn't entirely clear from your post.

Mystere, May 7, 2017
  10. vice86 Win User
    Ah, didn't realize there was a downloader too. All i saw was "akamai.net" showing up in my Traffic Analyzer on my Router saying it used 4.5GB.

Wondering why i can find traces of Akamai on my one PC but nothing on the other. I wish there was a way to find out for sure what's using it or how it got on there in the first place. I keep reading different things so hard to tell

vice86, May 8, 2017
  11. JLAF5150 Win User
    Well I know Lord of the Rings Online uses it.. there should be an option in programs and features to remove Akamai..

JLAF5150, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What exactly does akamai.net download? - Similar Threads - exactly does akamai

2. What exactly does PlayReady® do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What exactly does PlayReady® do?: Hey!Kind of weird question, but I wanted to know what does one get from installing it? How it benefits the end-user; does it block certain features, etc.?I remember having it as an option in the past that came with Windows Media Center, so my question is just a simple...
  3. What exactly does PlayReady® do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly does PlayReady® do?: Hey!Kind of weird question, but I wanted to know what does one get from installing it? How it benefits the end-user; does it block certain features, etc.?I remember having it as an option in the past that came with Windows Media Center, so my question is just a simple...
  4. What exactly does Reset this PC do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly does Reset this PC do?: I had to change my SSD drive, which was under warranty. So I had to give my old drive to the technician who had come to swap out the SSD drive for a new one. Before that, I had initiated a "Reset this PC" process so that all my data is erased and difficult to recover. I chose...
  5. What does this mean exactly and how to fix it...?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean exactly and how to fix it...?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Jukupatka [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k8j1y3/what_does_this_mean_exactly_and_how_to_fix_it/
  6. What exactly does Activity History collect?

What exactly does Activity History collect?: I'm sure everyone here already know that Windows 10 logs the things we do in Activity History for the Timeline. I've read on this thread that it will continue to do so even if you choose to disable this feature. That reddit thread by u/a_potato_is_missing, ended up getting...
  7. What does this mean exactly?

What does this mean exactly?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/matthwhz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e77e5p/what_does_this_mean_exactly/
  8. What exactly does "update and shutdown" do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly does "update and shutdown" do?: I want to know what update and shutdown does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-does-update-and-shutdown-do/0f714512-6f93-4f5a-9615-c96a43ffec73
  9. akamai cookie

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    akamai cookie: Why Windows Defender do not detect Akamai cookie in Edge ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/akamai-cookie/f968f03e-d025-4a3a-92ae-61b842826247
  10. What exactly does Backup do?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    What exactly does Backup do?: I am puzzled by the term backup when you go to Settings > Backup. I have a folder on my NAS defined as my backup drive. I have set the time interval to every ten minutes until I am sure of what is being backed up. Does the backup process store MY files as opposed to WIN...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what does AKAMAI-AS deliver on my asus router