Windows 10: What exactly does Backup do?

Discus and support What exactly does Backup do? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am puzzled by the term backup when you go to Settings > Backup. I have a folder on my NAS defined as my backup drive. I have set the time interval... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by MacNala, Dec 2, 2015.

1. MacNala Win User

What exactly does Backup do?

I am puzzled by the term backup when you go to Settings > Backup.
    I have a folder on my NAS defined as my backup drive.
    I have set the time interval to every ten minutes until I am sure of what is being backed up.

Does the backup process store MY files as opposed to WIN 10 files in that folder and could be used to restore them if I had to re-install Win 10?

If so where does it backup a full image of the C drive?

PC / Win10 Pro / digitally entitled 1511.

:)

MacNala, Dec 2, 2015

2. backup flash restore what exactly

ok. none of the settings (tone, backgrounds, desktops) as restored, none of the mms. But considering that the N900 team didn't believe that MMS was important this was to be expected. Some random conversations. The contacts could have been synced with Exchange
    or not. Unclear what Ovi is doing here.

Btw my device was not corrupted it was just slow.

If some files were corrupted I expect corrupted files to be restored not obliterated.

Ah I guess the N9-00 team does a much better job here.

Can I restore the N900 backups to a N9?

theking2---01, Dec 2, 2015
  3. backup flash restore what exactly

I think I've missed something. Over the last couple of weeks my N900 was sluggish, ignore calls, not able to call etc so I decided to backup and flash it. After that I restored the backup. This left me with an unrecognizable device. It looks like backup
    and restore does virtually nothing. no settings are restored. For starters the desktop is void. The desktop background image is gone, the alarms are gone. None of the installed applications are restored.

So that leaves me: what exactly is backuped up and restored.?

theking2---01, Dec 2, 2015
  4. f14tomcat Win User

Bottom left corner........
    What exactly does Backup do? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Dec 2, 2015
  5. MacNala Win User
    Thanks I forgot about that.*Redface

MacNala, Dec 2, 2015
  6. f14tomcat Win User
    No problem, it happens to all of us! You might want to look into a third party backup solution for sys images. Not pushing anything, but a lot of us here use Macrium Reflect or Acronis. A lot more flexible, there are free versions. Your choice.

f14tomcat, Dec 2, 2015
  7. MacNala Win User
    I appreciate the suggestion.
    I have been for a long time a user of DriveSnapshot.de which gives me an image which is searchable as well as restore itself. I was really not thinking about that but trying to see if Windows 10 would replace that.
    Apparently not, as a user of Virtualbox, Windows 10 complains about "sparse" files in the virtual disks.

MacNala, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What exactly does Backup do? - Similar Threads - exactly does Backup

2. What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?: Hi,I know it's a memory allocated for the BIOS and some drivers, but know can I see what's stored in there; can we manipulate this memory--increase, decrease, set are own preferences?...
  3. What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly does 'Hardware Reserved" memory do?: Hi,I know it's a memory allocated for the BIOS and some drivers, but know can I see what's stored in there; can we manipulate this memory--increase, decrease, set are own preferences?...
  4. What exactly does PlayReady® do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What exactly does PlayReady® do?: Hey!Kind of weird question, but I wanted to know what does one get from installing it? How it benefits the end-user; does it block certain features, etc.?I remember having it as an option in the past that came with Windows Media Center, so my question is just a simple...
  5. What exactly does PlayReady® do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly does PlayReady® do?: Hey!Kind of weird question, but I wanted to know what does one get from installing it? How it benefits the end-user; does it block certain features, etc.?I remember having it as an option in the past that came with Windows Media Center, so my question is just a simple...
  6. What exactly does Reset this PC do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly does Reset this PC do?: I had to change my SSD drive, which was under warranty. So I had to give my old drive to the technician who had come to swap out the SSD drive for a new one. Before that, I had initiated a "Reset this PC" process so that all my data is erased and difficult to recover. I chose...
  7. What does this mean exactly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean exactly?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/matthwhz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e77e5p/what_does_this_mean_exactly/
  8. What exactly do they mean?

What exactly do they mean?: When doing a windows update, I get the following message: The Windows 10 May 2019 Update is on its way. We're offering this update to compatible devices, but your device isn't quite ready for it. Once your device is ready, you'll see the update available on this page. There's...
  9. What exactly does "update and shutdown" do?

What exactly does "update and shutdown" do?: I want to know what update and shutdown does. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-does-update-and-shutdown-do/0f714512-6f93-4f5a-9615-c96a43ffec73
  10. What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does "chkdsk c: /b" exactly do?: I did a Google search and the explanations were esoteric to me. Are repairs to the hard drive done and are the repairs permanent? 131780

Users found this page by searching for:

1. What exactly is windows backup