Windows 10: What exactly does the new Power mode slider change?

Discus and support What exactly does the new Power mode slider change? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Can some explain exactly what is being changed in the different levels of the power Mode slider? ie: Battery saver Recommended Better performance... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DanMurpburgulars, Jul 30, 2020.

1. What exactly does the new Power mode slider change?

Can some explain exactly what is being changed in the different levels of the power Mode slider?

ie:

• Battery saver
    • Recommended
    • Better performance
    • Best performance

I understand the obvious that Battery Saver gives the longest battery life, and Best Performance give the most speed at the expense of battery life.

What is it actually changing? Disabling certain background services? Changing wifi power level? Changing CPU frequency?

I've searched for Microsoft documentation on this feature but nothing I found what actually is happening.

:)

DanMurpburgulars, Jul 30, 2020
  2. NovHak Win User

What does the power slider do ?

Dear forum readers,

With the fall creators update (1709), MS mainstreamed a power slider in the battery UI for everyone using a power plan with Balanced personality.

While it surely controls the new power throttling feature (setting the slider in the rightmost position disables it), what it does outside of this is rather unclear. If one defines a bug as unspecified behaviour, then this whole slider is a bug... unless there are clear specifications somewhere ?

NovHak, Jul 30, 2020
  3. Windows 10 power slider: What exactly does it do, and how to change it?

The first part of the question would be what exactly each of these settings does. For the power plans, I am able to check and set each of the plans own settings (like max CPU clock, usage, time till sleep). Now I can't even figure out what exactly each setting does, in terms of Voltage, Amps, Clocks, and max usage. In numbers. And how can I change this?

Also, it seems like the best performance mode overrides my power plans. I have set my max Frequency to 2000 MHz, but in best performance mode this will be ignored and my CPU will clock to it's normal 2800 MHz often, untill I turn the plan down to recommended or better performance. Is this a bug, or a feature?

DottyPhone, Jul 30, 2020
  4. JeffL Win User

What exactly does the new Power mode slider change?

Power Mode Slider

Since the Power Mode Slider can be set differently for Plugged In, and not Plugged In, why would I ever want it set to anything other than Best Performance when Plugged In?

JeffL, Jul 30, 2020
Thema:

What exactly does the new Power mode slider change?

1. What exactly does the new Power mode slider change? - Similar Threads - exactly does Power

2. What exactly is" Change to regvalue...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What exactly is" Change to regvalue...: What is the below change ?" Change to regvalue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection\LastUpdate regvalvalue'" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-is-change-to-regvalue/b154e9d8-2ae8-45e2-900d-71288a03fe52
  3. What exactly is" Change to regvalue...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What exactly is" Change to regvalue...: What is the below change ?" Change to regvalue HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection\LastUpdate regvalvalue'" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-exactly-is-change-to-regvalue/b154e9d8-2ae8-45e2-900d-71288a03fe52
  4. Removing battery power mode sliders

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing battery power mode sliders: Hello, I wonder if its possible to remove those power sliders in battery icons because they do mess up with certain things for me, i would like to just run on balanced power plan without the need of those things, Thanks in advance....
  5. Removing battery power mode sliders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Removing battery power mode sliders: Hello, I wonder if its possible to remove those power sliders in battery icons because they do mess up with certain things for me, i would like to just run on balanced power plan without the need of those things, Thanks in advance....
  6. Removing battery power mode sliders

7. power mode slider

power mode slider: power mode slider in battery icon in taskbar is missing.. what do to? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-mode-slider/a425e2e1-ecb6-4c3f-b04f-95c7ce6ad8fb
  8. What does this mean exactly?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What does this mean exactly?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/matthwhz [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e77e5p/what_does_this_mean_exactly/
  9. What does the power slider do ?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    What does the power slider do ?: Dear forum readers, With the fall creators update (1709), MS mainstreamed a power slider in the battery UI for everyone using a power plan with Balanced personality. While it surely controls the new power throttling feature (setting the slider in the rightmost position...
  10. Power Mode Slider

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Power Mode Slider: Since the Power Mode Slider can be set differently for Plugged In, and not Plugged In, why would I ever want it set to anything other than Best Performance when Plugged In? 100232