Windows 10: What Files Should Office Online be Able to Preview?

Discus and support What Files Should Office Online be Able to Preview? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hey All, I need the latest updated list for what files Office Online can open in Preview. I have had trouble opening Rich Text Files in preview.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by JackPlatt, Apr 2, 2019.

1. JackPlatt Win User

What Files Should Office Online be Able to Preview?

Hey All,

I need the latest updated list for what files Office Online can open in Preview. I have had trouble opening Rich Text Files in preview. Sometimes I can open up Portable Document Files (PDF's) and other times I get a "Looks like we don't have a preview we can show you message." I often get the error message after a PDF file is freshly downloaded. If it has been in One Drive for awhile, than it seems to open, This started about three months ago.

There must have been some update to One Drive, because in the past, I was always able to open up PDF Files on One Drive no matter what. And I think I have been able to open Rich Text Files for several years, but now it seems to be "Touch and go."

The files that I CAN open in One Drive Online are the following:

All Office files saved in native formats . (Word, Excel, PowerPoinnt)

All Photos (Jpegs.)

All Text files

It seems that in Google Drive, I can open up all these formats without any issues as all. Buy the way, this is on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10, so it has to be something at the site. I am working on my Windows 10 PC now, so I will categorize it as such for our community.

Jack

:)

JackPlatt, Apr 2, 2019
  2. Kari Win User
    Kari, Apr 2, 2019
  3. Arun B J Win User
    Delete and Cut Files with Preview Pane Open

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

• Have you tried to delete the pdf file in preview panel?
    • What exactly happens when try to delete the pdf file?

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Open File Explorer.

• Select View and click on preview panel.

• Select the pdf file.

• At the right corner you will be able to see preview panel.

• You can right click on it and delete the files.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, Apr 2, 2019
  4. Ariel Acu Win User

Preview pane not functional / causing system issues

Hi,

We can see here that you're having an issue with using the preview pane for File Explorer. Since using the preview pane affects the CPU usage when trying to view Office files, we could suggest that you changed your File Explorer View setting into the Navigation
    pane by performing the following steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Click on the View tab.
    • Select Preview pane to remove it from being highlighted.

Once done, try to open files using Office apps and check if this helps your Surface Pro 4 works fine.

We look forward to your reply.

Ariel Acu, Apr 2, 2019
Thema:

1. What Files Should Office Online be Able to Preview? - Similar Threads - Files Should Office

2. Windows 11 Dev preview not able to switch to offical release

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Dev preview not able to switch to offical release: Please help, I tried some yt vids that told me to use the registry editor, but that doesnt work. I am unable to switch to the official release. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-dev-preview-not-able-to-switch-to/b5169a3d-8052-4aff-aaab-5ea6d30db9c8
  3. Windows 11 Dev preview not able to switch to offical release

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Dev preview not able to switch to offical release: Please help, I tried some yt vids that told me to use the registry editor, but that doesnt work. I am unable to switch to the official release. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-11-dev-preview-not-able-to-switch-to/b5169a3d-8052-4aff-aaab-5ea6d30db9c8
  4. MS Office 365 and MS Office online.

in Microsoft Office and 365
    MS Office 365 and MS Office online.: Are there any advantages to using MS Office online, if you have a 365 account. Besides the 1TB of space. Gort 142047
  5. Why Office Online is Now Simply Office

in Windows 10 News
    Why Office Online is Now Simply Office: [ATTACH] Microsoft PowerPoint for the web featuring a new header. Microsoft has decided to retire the “Online” branding for the web version of Office and adopt new terminology for how we refer to the apps on the web. Office uses sub-brands to denote our offerings such as...
  6. Not able to play online games

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Not able to play online games: I purchased the xbox game pass today and downloaded it so i had to download the newest windows update. After i downloaded the update i cant play games online. i can use google like i am right now. i can watch youtube fine. I tried to play overwatch and minecraft but they just...
  7. Office 2019 Preview

Office 2019 Preview: So.... I decided to install this alongside a retail Offfice 2013 to check it out ( call it infinite wisdom, knowing the conflicts different office versions have... LOL) ... anyway the interesting thing is the "free" bit in the version... [img] (Ignore the blanks I have...
  8. office online or Libre office - which is better

office online or Libre office - which is better: My wife's W10 laptop has now closed its free time on word and requires her to purchase it. I'm wondering which of the free ones would be best for her. She only tends to write up her CV and some report work on an occasional basis. I've been wondering about Office on line or...
  9. Office Technical Preview

in Windows 10 News
    Office Technical Preview: Microsoft has a private Office 2016 beat group who have access to the next version of Office, and if you feel bummed that you were not included in the group, there is now a way to download the bits. If you head to the source link below, you can now sign up for the Office...
  10. What’s new in Office Online—featuring Insights for Office

in Windows 10 News
    What’s new in Office Online—featuring Insights for Office: The Office Online team has been busy adding integration across Microsoft Cloud services and extending the capabilities of what you can do with Office in your favorite browser. A number of powerful features have either been rolled out recently or are beginning to roll out now....