Windows 10: what format for backup external drive

Discus and support what format for backup external drive in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; what format for backup external drive?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CharleyHeard, Sep 28, 2019.

1. what format for backup external drive

what format for backup external drive?

:)

CharleyHeard, Sep 28, 2019
  2. Paolo Mag Win User

want to Format a La Cie External Drive Because the Software Genie 9 has too many versions of backup.

Hello,

To format an external USB or an external hard drive you can easily do it by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Sep 28, 2019
  3. Format external backup drive for NTFS

I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?

RobertNelson8, Sep 28, 2019
  4. what format for backup external drive

Format an external Drive.

Hello Roger,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

I would suggest you to follow the below steps to format the drive you are referring to.

• Right Click on Start menu and select Open Computer Management.

• In the left pane, under Storage, click Disk Management.

• Right-click the volume that you want to format, and then click Format.

• To format the volume with the default settings, in the Format dialog box, click
      OK, and then click OK again.
    Note: You cannot format a disk or partition that is currently in use, including the partition that contains Windows.

Hope it helps.

Thank you.

Sayan_Ghosh, Sep 28, 2019
Thema:

what format for backup external drive

1. what format for backup external drive - Similar Threads - format backup external

2. External drive backup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External drive backup: Hello all, How do I backup windows 10 unto a hard drive? What am I looking for and cant see my dive displayed. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-drive-backup/ecc6172e-9317-4fa9-8755-7ee6726e446f
  3. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  4. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Formatting an external drive: when you format an external "exfat" SSD drive to "NTFS" or vise versa doesn't all the data/files & folders get deleted? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-an-external-drive/fa2d4bb5-7bcc-4573-804c-ce87d5122c5b
  5. Formatting an external drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE: I have asked before, but didn't get the answer I was hoping for. Just as subject line says, I accidentally formatted my 1TB external hard drive that has my entire backup. Ironically, I did it while starting to make a backup of my backup, that I've been saying to myself for...
  7. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE: I have asked before, but didn't get the answer I was hoping for. Just as subject line says, I accidentally formatted my 1TB external hard drive that has my entire backup. Ironically, I did it while starting to make a backup of my backup, that I've been saying to myself for...
  8. FORMATTED MY EXTERNAL BACKUP BY MISTAKE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. how to format external drive to backup windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    how to format external drive to backup windows 10: how to format external drive to backup windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-format-external-drive-to-backup-windows-10/e8896696-61d7-4bfb-ad33-14e733b84b82
  10. Format external backup drive for NTFS

in Windows 10 Customization
    Format external backup drive for NTFS: I purchased an external backup drive made by Verbatim. when I try to do a full system backup from Windows 10, I get the message that I can't backup to this drive because it is not formatted for NTFS. How do I format this drive for NTFS?...