Windows 10: What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu?

Discus and support What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have a question about whats going on with my computer. A little while ago my husband was trying to get our printer to work on our laptop and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by JohnnyHopkins, Oct 3, 2020.

1. What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu?

Hi, I have a question about whats going on with my computer. A little while ago my husband was trying to get our printer to work on our laptop and after several updates something happened with our laptop and as somebody who doesn't use the computer often I don't even know where to begin with what this issue could be or how to fix it. I tried a few different things from online forums on fixing full screen start menu and tablet mode but they didn't work. Theres no way this is the new look and I can't change it back to the classic desktop with icons along the side with the taskbar at the bottom and start button in the lower lefthand corner? Thanks in advanced, picture attached for reference of what I mean by "start menu full screen"? If i press the start button it goes away but all the icons on my screen have gone away and if i click on my background space again it just brings up the full screen start menu again.

What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu? [​IMG]

:)

JohnnyHopkins, Oct 3, 2020

2. Issues with start screen and start menu in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. I will assist you with this.

Before proceeding with the Troubleshooting steps I suggest you to follow the steps below and see if it helps to see the Start screen.

1. Right click on the desktop and select Personalize.

2. Select Start on the left pane
    and select the option use start full screen to on

and see if it helps.

Meanwhile I suggest you to refer the link below and try the troubleshooting steps provided if the start menu is not working and see if it helps to resolve the issue.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further. Thank you.

Deepak_Krishnan R, Oct 3, 2020
  3. I can't seem to be able to edit the tiles on the start menu with Windows 10?

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in response.

• What exactly happens when you try to edit the tiles on the start menu?
    • Aren't you able to organize the tiles?

If you have tried it on the Start Menu style, we would suggest you to check in the full screen style and check.

To do so,

• Right click on an empty space in the desktop screen and select Personalize.
    • Click Start and then move the slider to the right to turn on full screen and then try to edit the tiles and check
    Thank you.

Ravinath P, Oct 3, 2020
  4. topgundcp Win User

What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu?

How do I get a screenshot of start menu?

1. Run snipping tool ( If screen appears grayed out, press ESC, if not continue step 2.)
    2. Click to open the start menu
    3. Hold CTRL and press print Screen. Screen will appear grayed out, ready to capture.

NOTE: This will work with all popup menus ie. Windows Menu, Context menu etc...

topgundcp, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu?

1. What happened to my desktop/is this full screen start menu? - Similar Threads - happened desktop full

2. Start Menu full screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start Menu full screen: Hello Community, Recently i buy Microsoft surface i dont know how start menu become full screen even i off from start menu setting how to off full screen start menu kindly see the screen short. [IMG] Kind regards,...
  3. Full screen "start menu" stuck in full screen mode

Full screen "start menu" stuck in full screen mode: I have three different Acer computers all running the latest release of Windows 10 home. All have processed the latest October 8th release updates to 1903. One user account on one computer is "stuck" in full screen mode. The same user account on the other two are "normal."...
  4. What has happened to the icons on my start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    What has happened to the icons on my start menu: I opened my start menu yesterday and this is what I found. Why are "some" of the icons showing with that black background? 140473
  5. What happened to my start menu?

What happened to my start menu?: When I clicked on my Start menu, normally I would see the multiple groups and apps I pinned to Start. Such as calculator, notepad, etc. However, everything was gone. It looked like it resetted all of the apps I had pinned. I could see the default apps pinned and the Start...
  6. Start Menu Full Screen not working

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Start Menu Full Screen not working: Hi, I have been trying to switch my start up window to my start menu. However, whenever I enable the option "Full screen," in (settings=>personalization=>Start), there are no changes whatsoever taking place. I have tried restarting the PC to no avail. I am kindly requesting...
  7. Start menu full screen doesn't show desktop background

Start menu full screen doesn't show desktop background: Hi guys, guess I have a problem with my start menu in full screen mode, it doesn't show me the desktop wallpaper background anymore, but this dark image instead. [ATTACH] I also tried transparency effects "on", but it didn't change anything, how can i fix this? 113348
  8. problem with full screen start menu

problem with full screen start menu: when I set the start menu to display in full screen it becomes finicky. It sometimes won't open at all. If I go back and change one item it will start working again. It seems like it does not matter which item I chg. If I chg it back it will keep working for a while. any...
  9. "Desktop" shortcut for full-screen start menu?

in Windows 10 Support
    "Desktop" shortcut for full-screen start menu?: My mom just got a new tablet which came with Windows 10. I'm trying to set it up to be as similar as she was used to with Windows 8.1 I know with the full-screen start menu, you can technically just press the Windows key a second time to return to the desktop view you were...
  10. Full screen start menu

in Windows 10 Support
    Full screen start menu: Ah ha I found you at last. Reason being, I rather liked that aspect of windows 8-8.1 so I was glad to find the option for it again under personalise and start menu options. Some of you may want that back! who knows but it's in there. 13551