Windows 10: What happened to my free disk space ?

Discus and support What happened to my free disk space ? in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Among other problems, last update brought my attention on my root disk space. I have a 447GB SSD partitioned in two, OS(C:) partition of 96.5GB and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by gasis, Sep 11, 2019.

1. gasis Win User

What happened to my free disk space ?

Among other problems, last update brought my attention on my root disk space.

I have a 447GB SSD partitioned in two, OS(CWhat happened to my free disk space ? :) partition of 96.5GB and data(EWhat happened to my free disk space ? :) of 349GB

As the screenshot shows, I currently have 15GB of free space on the C: disk.

Though, I only find the content on it weighs 46.2GB, so I investigate Storage settings which announces me 16GB of temp files, that only amount to 669MB once you click on it...

That's still 96.5-(46.2+16)= 34.3GB of free space I should be left with ; 19.3GB away from reality.

Where is this space gone ? If I don't clean some 10 gigs everyday the drive ends up red full... What happened to my free disk space ? 55aed539-d707-422e-bb35-9d07096c05f5?upload=true.png What happened to my free disk space ? 2cf22a4b-1453-4e9a-bca3-549c7f814a15?upload=true.png

:)

gasis, Sep 11, 2019
  2. Joan Pin Win User

disk space reduced after media creation tool

Hi Sarah,

One of the possible reasons why your disk space was reduced is due to an unallocated disk space on your partitions. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you check your device's partition. To do this, follow the steps provided below:

• Type Computer Management on Ask me anything and press
      Enter.
    • Select Storage and click on Disk Management.
    • Send us a screenshot.
    We look forward to your response.

Joan Pin, Sep 11, 2019
  3. My disk space is gone

Hi John,

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community.

I do appreciate your efforts and time.

Try to run theSystem Maintenance Troubleshooter.

• Press Windows key + W and type
      Troubleshooting.

• Select Troubleshooting.

• Select view all on the top left corner.

• Click System Maintenance,
      follow onscreen instructions.
    I suggest you to run Check Disk which performs an analysis of the disk. Refer to the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X.
    • Click on Command prompt (Admin).
    • Type chkdsk /f and hit enter.
    For reference:

Tips to free up drive space on your PC:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/free-up-disk-space

Hope this helps in resolving the issue. If the issue persists, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Kalpana Shankarappa, Sep 11, 2019
  4. What happened to my free disk space ?

hard disk space

Hello,

Taking into consideration that the free space is shrinking fast, it is possible that your system is creating restore points. To
    delete restore points except for the recent one, simply follow the steps below:

• From the Cortana search box, type Disk Cleanup and click on the first result.
    • Once the Disk Cleanup window appears, select the
      More Options
      tab.
    • Under the System Restore and Shadow Copies column, click on the
      Clean up... button.

Once done with the steps, see if your disk space has expanded.

If you have further questions, please let us know.

Jefferson Ore, Sep 11, 2019
Thema:

What happened to my free disk space ?

1. What happened to my free disk space ? - Similar Threads - happened free disk

2. What is happening to my storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is happening to my storage space?: So I tried to download warframe again and my storage space was 107GB then it jumped to 72GB and then the game started downloading from the jumped to 72GB as if the other GBs didn't exist. I don't know why this is happening....
  3. What is happening to my storage space?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is happening to my storage space?: So I tried to download warframe again and my storage space was 107GB then it jumped to 72GB and then the game started downloading from the jumped to 72GB as if the other GBs didn't exist. I don't know why this is happening....
  4. What happened to my disk space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened to my disk space?: I wasn't connected to the internet when this happenedI deleted 2.7GB from my diskI only got 100mb extra free spaceWhat happened to the other 2.6GB? What's using it?...
  5. Freeing Disk Space

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Freeing Disk Space: I originally had Windows XP on my laptop but updated to Windows 10 awhile ago (and am getting current updates). Can I remove Windows XP from my laptop or will that affect how Windows 10 operates?...
  6. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  7. Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space

in Windows 10 Support
    Disk Cleanup not freeing disk space: I'm running Windows 10 on a Bootcamp'd MacBook Pro with 256G of SSD of which about 135G is allocated to the Windows partition (according to Properties in Explorer). It is running low on available space (4.06GB available) and Windows updates cannot be installed. Tried Disk...
  8. Re: Free Disk Space

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Re: Free Disk Space: I would like to know how do I transfer data from my internal hard drive to a memory stick, the problem is my laptop's internal hard drive is only 30GB and Windows is taking the most space? Please can someone assist? Much Appreciated....
  9. Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Space - Free Space fluctuates: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...
  10. Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space

in Windows 10 Support
    Free Space fluctuates - Disk Space: I have a 1TB SSD divided into three partitions. "C" is the Windows partition while D & E are for games and general storage. The amount of available on C seems to fluctuate for no apparent reason. A week ago I had 37GB free and now have 27GB free. Yes Windows installs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. what happened to my disk drive space