Windows 10: What happened with my hard disk is showing 0 bytes?

Discus and support What happened with my hard disk is showing 0 bytes? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; What should I do when the hard disk is showing 0 bytes ? the files are very important to me, but how to recover? Any help would be appreciated. [ATTACH] Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Skylly, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Skylly
    Skylly Member

What happened with my hard disk is showing 0 bytes?

What should I do when the hard disk is showing 0 bytes ? the files are very important to me, but how to recover? Any help would be appreciated.
    What happened with my hard disk is showing 0 bytes? recover-0-bytes-files-1.jpg

Skylly, Aug 27, 2018

2. NTFS problem: 0 byte file but "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB"

By using a Python script, I managed to mistakenly create a 4GB file on an NTFS USB drive with a colon in the filename. The resulting file name was all of the text up until the colon, but the file is listed as being 0 bytes. BUT when I check the file properties
    it says "Size On Disk: 3.98 GB (4,282,056,704 bytes)". When I used a file recovery program such as Recuva and MiniTool Power Data Recovery, all 4GB seem to copy to another drive, but it still shows that it's 0 bytes (Size On Disk 3.98 GB).

Any advice as to what I could try next to fix this issue?

The file cannot be replaced easily so I'd like to get it back.

I'm not averse to low level disk editing if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance!

Scott_Bernstein, Aug 27, 2018
  3. Camera Win User
    Bad Image Errors - dll files changing to 0 bytes

Hi
    Have an unusual problem (to me anyway)

Last week I got "Bad Image" errors with Adobe Lightroom (the program had worked OK previously). Two .dll files were listed as corrupt and in Explorer both were shown has having 0 bytes size. Re-installation resolved the problem.
    Today I have had the same "bad image" error with another program. Techsmith SnagIt. Once again it was .dll files and they show in explorer as 0 bytes. The timestamp on the 0 byte dlls is the time of the error i.e. today (not when the files were installed).

What I've done so far :
    Ran McAfee viruscan across all disks - no problems reported.
    Ran Malwarebytes - no problems reported

Went to the properties for the disk drive and under "Tools" ran error check - nothing found
    The disk is an SSD so I went to Samsung Magician which shows drive condition as good and S.M.A.R.T. shows wear levelling count at Current Value 99. I do not use Rapid Mode.

The problems are happening on a Samsung 850 Evo 500GB

Any suggestions welcome

Dave

Camera, Aug 27, 2018
  4. SumitRoy Win User

Windows 10 delete dialog box shows size: 0 bytes

when deleting file from USB device, I notice that the delete dialog box shows size: 0 bytes. Is that a bug? Windows 10 built 16299.

steps to reproduce

1. select a single file

2. Delete it.

3. The dialog box will show size 0 bytes.

What happened with my hard disk is showing 0 bytes? 663a39a0-170c-4b89-9ca0-7b8fa1db63df?upload=true.png

SumitRoy, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

1. What happened with my hard disk is showing 0 bytes? - Similar Threads - happened hard disk

2. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Continuation of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-files-have-a-disk-space-of-0-bytes/3cdb8cf0-409d-4e5e-824b-d7a1c85b68d1CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no...
  3. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Continuation of https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/small-files-have-a-disk-space-of-0-bytes/3cdb8cf0-409d-4e5e-824b-d7a1c85b68d1CAUTION: Please to not ask/suggest "file repair" stuff as in the original question since it will lead to no...
  4. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Drive showing up 0 bytes on every directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive showing up 0 bytes on every directory: I can't access any files inside this drive, it shows up "0 bytes" everywhere. When I open the treesize tool, it doesn't show all of the files. I've already had a problem like this, but it has been working fine all this time. I don't know how to fix this, can anyone help me or...
  6. File History shows backup size as 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    File History shows backup size as 0 bytes: Hi, I am currently trying to use File History to backup my files. When I click "Back Up Now" it shows the file size as 0 bytes and nothing happens even though it says "Backing Up". I'm not sure what is going on but I would appreciate any help. Thanks. submitted by...
  7. Disk usage is Zero bytes 0%

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Disk usage is Zero bytes 0%: Hello everyone I am facing a terrible problem regarding my windows And its my disk usage As u can see it says 0 % and because of that everything isn't working at all and i tried everything and still no one gave me a correct diagnosis or correct solution Please help me...
  8. Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Small files have a disk space of 0 bytes: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit creating/downloading files even though size works, disk space says 0 bytes. I tried checking my SSD thinking it had some problems, but all tools said it was at 100% health. My system is updated and I ran system checks sfc, DISM but no errors were...
  9. What happens if i format my hard disk?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What happens if i format my hard disk?: I bought a HP laptop preinstalled with windows10 Pro. I downloaded an android emulator called Bluestacks and it messed up my screen with blurry colours. I have done a clean reset and install of windows but my screen is still messed up with discolouration. I guess the app...
  10. Why is BACKUP showing 0 bytes?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Why is BACKUP showing 0 bytes?: Under settings, I have designated an external drive for backup (that is plugged into my laptop), and folders on the laptop to backup. When I click on Backup Now, I see "backup up now" but then it seems to finish, but shows 0 bytes in my backup. Is there no status bar as to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. powerdata recoveyr shows 0 bytes recovered