Windows 10: WHAT happened?

Discus and support WHAT happened? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; At church this morning, the guy explained that he had personally designed his three year old Windows 7 tower as a gaming computer. A computer shop had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vince Massi, Apr 23, 2016.

1. WHAT happened?

At church this morning, the guy explained that he had personally designed his three year old Windows 7 tower as a gaming computer. A computer shop had them ordered the parts and assembled it, and it worked fine. About a week ago, he upgraded to Windows 10, and now he can't get back in. Meanwhile, his wife was complaining that he was ignoring her and their new baby (The kid is adorable, by the way) because he's always playing games. Since his rig is attached to their big-screen TV, she can't watch her shows. I told him that God had smote his computer so that he would spend more time with his wife and son.

In case I'm wrong: sometimes he gets nothing, while other times he can almost make it to the desktop. He managed to run a diagnostic that told him that his BIOS was corrupted. I warned him that his hard drive might be failing and advised him to hold down the Shift key while starting to try to get into the diagnostic screens. I also suggested that he restart and repeatedly press the F8 key (Yes it DOES so work on some computers with 10) and try to get in with Safe Mode.

I advised him to type Windows 10 Forums into a search engine (He has a working laptop) and post a detailed account of his problem. I also advised him to spend more time with his family.

:)

Vince Massi, Apr 23, 2016
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Apr 23, 2016
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Apr 23, 2016
  4. BunnyJ New Member

WHAT happened?

I would suggest taking the PC back to the shop and he really should spend time with his family. Not necessarily in that order.,

BunnyJ, Apr 23, 2016
  5. Since this was built three year's ago, it does not make sense to bring it back to the shop.
    The owner upgraded to 10 by himself a week ago and maybe did not do it properly.
    The OP is correct is suggesting the owner join the forums and post his problem.
    I'm positive it will be taken care of here.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Apr 24, 2016
  6. RolandJS Win User
    A rollback to Windows 7 may or may not be error-free. I hope thread starter asked computer owner if there exists a restorable backup of the Windows 78 OS partition. Meanwhile, he might be better served if he disconnects computer from the main TV/entertainment center, let the TV/whatever [without the computer] run correctly and problem-free until computer can cooperate with and live with the other devices wanting to control the TV.

**added missing words**

RolandJS, Apr 24, 2016
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    If the BIOS is the issue purging it might clear the issue. The BIOS jumper on the motherboard can be used to get this done. On mine it requires pushing two pins together and it purges it. What you'll need to do is check out the motherboards MFG web site.. check out the manual and find the jumper. Follow the instructions and restart the PC.

Edit: and if it is the HDD you should hear some new noise. Usually their very quiet.

BunnyJ, Apr 24, 2016
  8. WHAT happened?

Note to BunnyJ:

He explained that after upgrading to 10, he was able to get onto his rig at first, but things steadily got worse. Then he could get on sometimes. That is why I suggested that his hard drive might be failing.

The truth is, with a gaming machine designed by someone who picked parts out of catalogues, you never know what is wrong. I feel that more than one thing is wrong, and I explained to him that there are several possible causes, and therefore several possible solutions, most of which aren't the right ones.

Vince Massi, Apr 24, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    The reason that the machine probably does not work. Is truthfully that the significant other disabled it to get him to start paying attention to the family, not the toy.

If you are a true friend. You will help get them into counseling and also get him to give up those hobbies that he chooses to ignore helping out with the baby.

Their marriage is on the rocks and you will end up being on the wrong end, when the wife finally goes off on him.

bro67, Apr 24, 2016
  10. Bro, you post some of the best messages on this site. No, I don't think that his wife sabotaged his rig. Their marriage isn't on the rocks, and he does not mistreat his wife--he just needs to spend more time with her.

11. gulliwog Win User
    I upgraded to Windows 10 last week and rolled back three days later. I can confirm that Windows 10 on my machine did also cause BIOS problems, sometimes the PC failed to boot, the boot sequence itself actually changed subtly (I have no idea why) and any attempt to overclock my processor brought everything crashing down and caused the BIOS to reset itself completely. I can well believe Windows 10 has corrupted/effected his BIOS somehow.

As suggested he should reset the BIOS on the motherboard using the jumper and maybe remove the battery for a bit.

As regards your comment about Hard Drive fail I have a little theory. When I upgraded to Windows 10 for the first 24 to 36 hours everything seemed fine. Then on day two things started to go wrong as I started having random boot fails, although would always get back into Windows eventually. Then on day three all hell broke loose, I turned on my PC to discover that all my Network protocols had completely vanished, all the TCP/IP info, all the DNS, everything!! I managed to "fix" that problem by googling and trying fixes, but then after that programs which had been working fine for the last two days suddenly crashing every time I started trying to use them. I was unable to fix that problem which was when I rolled back.

The thing is that in another forum thread about disabling superfetch for SSD drives someone said the following: They claimed that Windows 10 should be able to automatically detect when you are using SSDs and disable superfetch accordingly, BUT that often it would take few days (a good few shutdowns and restarts) before Windows would "realize" and disable superfetch. This seems weird when you think about it, why would it take 3 days and 10 shutdowns/restarts before Windows 10 figures out you have SSDs?

I have also spoken to a couple of friends who upgraded to 10 and they told me that to begin with things also seemed okay and it was only 2-3 days after that they started having problems. Which leads me to my "conspiracy" theory.

I think that the Windows 10 upgrade may be more "dragged out" than the Upgrade service would apparently have us believe. To the user it looks like you upgrade to Windows 10 for an hour or so, and after the upgrade is complete you have a fully configured version Windows 10. However I think that maybe that isn't quite so true and that certain changes and alterations are made progressively behind the scenes over the course of a few days. Why otherwise would my networks and programs work perfectly for three days and then suddenly the act of turning off and on my PC (with no changes made to any configs by myself) cause everything to break? This must be because things are still changing behind the scenes.

The conspiracy cynic in me thinks that the reason for this is deliberately hold off on making potentially problematic changes for a bit to dupe people into thinking that the Windows 10 upgrade has worked perfectly and that their system is stable, so that they are encouraged to remove the rollback files thus committing to Windows 10. If you upgrade and the next day everything works fine you would have no reason to assume that 2-3 days later you would lose all your network settings for "no reason" and that suddenly your programs would all start crashing.

Having been through the process of upgrading first hand myself it is painfully obvious to me that Microsoft's only priority with Windows 10 is getting as many people to upgrade as possible, and they have no problem in being economical with the truth concerning the possible issues that people may if they choose to do so.

So I don't think the fact that the problem is getting worse and worse is in any way a sign of hard drive failure, I think it is symptomatic of the way the Windows 10 upgrade is being implemented. It would be a pretty huge coincidence that his hard drive suddenly decided to start failing 2-3 days after the Windows 10 upgrade... It's Windows 10 causing the problems, I would bet my life on it.

Tell your friend to jumper the bios to clear it, and if he is able to get his machine to boot, to roll back to his previous version of Windows ASAP. Bear in mind however that rolling back to Windows 7 will break a whole number of scheduled tasks, an issue that is serious and that Microsoft have thus far completely ignored. Luckily however someone has released a great 3rd party tool to fix the problem.

And as another cautionary tale, look what this poor person suffered with when he upgraded to windows 10.

gulliwog, Apr 24, 2016
  12. bobkn Win User
    I don't get "Since his rig is attached to their big-screen TV, she can't watch her shows.". I don't see why there'd be an intrinsic problem. Is it because hubby is continually playing with the setup trying to get the PC running?

Has he clean installed 10 yet? I suppose that newish hardware might have driver issues, but I'm skeptical. However, I recommend turning off driver updates in Windows Update. (Microsoft still permits that, although they've made the setting highly unintuitive in 10586.)

bobkn, Apr 24, 2016
  13. WHAT happened?

Gulliwog, I'm not a conspiracy fan, but I do wonder if MS waits a couple of days before installing updates. That would explain my friend's problem, along with several posters' problems on this forum.

Bob, your viewpoint is welcome and appreciated. This forum is dedicated to solving Windows 10 problems, so, if Win 10 is endangering your marriage...

14. gulliwog Win User
    I was being a little sarcastic towards myself when I used the term "conspiracy" as in all honesty I cannot be sure how Win 10 is updated and the reasons Microsoft chose to update the way they did. However I do believe there may definitely be some truth here... I have spoken to a few people directly (and have also seen people talking in forums) who seemed to start developing problems a few days after the update.

Whether there is some valid technical reason that staggering certain updates and essentially delaying the complete install of Win 10 for a few days would be advantageous I cannot be sure. However it does seem a little strange to me that it would really be necessary to do it like this.

Either way I do feel that there has been a significant lack of transparency from Microsoft about the whole upgrade issue. Many people have commented that we really shouldn't expect much stability from any Windows upgrade and that a clean install is a far more secure way to go (citing Microsoft history with Windows upgrades) However if this is true and upgrading is still inherently much more unstable then Microsoft should have made this more clear themselves.

Microsoft have very much tried to promote the idea that Windows 10 can be tried very easily, with total impunity, and a 30 day full "money-back" guarantee. This is obviously NOT true for a vast number of users. I feel that in their eagerness to try and push everyone into using Windows 10, Microsoft are guilty of deceiving their customers by failing to provide them with important information which could effect their decision of whether to upgrade or not. In my personal opinion in circumstances like this a lie of omission is still just as dishonest and reprehensible as a direct lie.

And if I may... I feel it is may be unwise to make too many judgments about a persons marriage and personal life, and offer too many opinions on the situation, based on no greater knowledge or understanding of the situation than 3-4 lines in an anecdotal forum post. Real life is NOT a meme, it is far more complex and subtle than that, and more and more online we see a tendency for serious issues and discussions to be reduced down to nothing more than memetic cliches... beware of Twitter Psychology pls!

gulliwog, Apr 25, 2016
  15. "I don't get "Since his rig is attached to their big-screen TV, she can't watch her shows.". I don't see why there'd be an intrinsic problem. Is it because hubby is continually playing with the setup trying to get the PC running?"

His machine uses their big-screen TV as a monitor (and I must admit that it is pretty impressive). So while he ignores her and plays games, she can't talk to him or watch TV.

Vince Massi, Apr 25, 2016
Thema:

WHAT happened?

1. WHAT happened? - Similar Threads - happened

2. What the heck happened to the ruler tool in my screen shot shipping icon? I need that very...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What the heck happened to the ruler tool in my screen shot shipping icon? I need that very...: What the heck happened to the ruler tool in my screen shot shipping icon? I need that very much in my day to day work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-heck-happened-to-the-ruler-tool-in-my/3a75a6e2-384b-4d2d-9e80-677174ea2f08
  3. What the heck happened to the ruler tool in my screen shot shipping icon? I need that very...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What the heck happened to the ruler tool in my screen shot shipping icon? I need that very...: What the heck happened to the ruler tool in my screen shot shipping icon? I need that very much in my day to day work. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-the-heck-happened-to-the-ruler-tool-in-my/3a75a6e2-384b-4d2d-9e80-677174ea2f08
  4. My pc keeps giving me the BSOD and i am not sure why this is happening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc keeps giving me the BSOD and i am not sure why this is happening: Recently, my pc has been keep giving the BSOD, i am not sure why it is happening, because i have changed nothing anything recently and it was not happening a few months ago....
  5. My pc keeps giving me the BSOD and i am not sure why this is happening

My pc keeps giving me the BSOD and i am not sure why this is happening: Recently, my pc has been keep giving the BSOD, i am not sure why it is happening, because i have changed nothing anything recently and it was not happening a few months ago....
  6. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  7. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  8. Windows 11 Pro something happened to my Pin

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Pro something happened to my Pin: Hi allBeen having video issues so I was told to uninstall then reinstall graphics drivers so I went into msconfig to get the computer to restart into safe mode, computer comes back on and now it says something happened to my pin and won’t let me log back in. Ive tried...
  9. Windows 11 Pro something happened to my Pin

Windows 11 Pro something happened to my Pin: Hi allBeen having video issues so I was told to uninstall then reinstall graphics drivers so I went into msconfig to get the computer to restart into safe mode, computer comes back on and now it says something happened to my pin and won’t let me log back in. Ive tried...
  10. Windows 11 "Something Happened and Your PIN Isn’t Available."

Windows 11 "Something Happened and Your PIN Isn’t Available.": On connecting an external hard disk to a HP laptop, I found file explorer had slow response with looping after upgrading Windows 11. I could not stop file explorer in task manager and could not shut down Windows 11 so I powered off the the laptop. When I restarted the Windows...