Windows 10: WHAT happened?

Discus and support WHAT happened? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; gulliwog, I had to do a clean install on a old Inspiron 537s. It was having issues with the upgrade and doing a clean from the Windows 10 DVD, solved... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Vince Massi, Apr 23, 2016.

1. bro67 Win User

WHAT happened?

gulliwog, I had to do a clean install on a old Inspiron 537s. It was having issues with the upgrade and doing a clean from the Windows 10 DVD, solved everything.

It is when you are doing something weird is when strange things happen.

bro67, Apr 25, 2016

2. We just talked to him on Facebook. He believes his hard drive has failed (which I had told him is possible). But I also told him tht it is odd that his HD failed three days after upgrading to 10. I reported what some of you said about resetting his BIOS.

Vince Massi, Apr 26, 2016
  3. gulliwog Win User
    Yeah, I realize this, bro... If you look back in my last post I said,
    "Many people have commented that we really shouldn't expect much stability from any Windows upgrade and that a clean install is a far more secure way to go "But this wasn't really my point. For MANY people (myself included) the issue of whether Windows 10 requires a clean install is a big part of the decision of whether to update or not. In their enthusiasm to push as many people into upgrading as they can I feel Microsoft have been somewhat dishonest about the facility, stability and potential problems of the upgrade process. And as a result a LOT of users (maybe not in percentage terms) have had to deal with a lot of problems and stress that could have been avoided if Microsoft had provided more complete and honest information.

gulliwog, Apr 27, 2016
  4. caperjack Win User

WHAT happened?

*Thumbs

caperjack, Apr 27, 2016
  5. Over the years, I've learned that it is always better to do a clean install instead of an upgrade. But 10 made a clean install difficult, and besides, I have upgraded four computers to 10 with little problem. But following this and another forum, I feel that a clean install is still better for 10.

Vince Massi, Apr 27, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Same here gulliwog. I make a point to only do clen installs after I do the upgrade to register the system with the new product and license.

I deal with Linux distros all day long and actually have better luck with them, then with Windows.

bro67, Apr 27, 2016
  7. bro67 Win User
    With 10 you have to do it bass ackwarda. Some motherboards are having a hard time with it. Along with overclocking and some GPU's.

The 12 year old Inspiron 537s that has a Intel Core 2 Duo runs better on 10, then it did with Vista, 7 or 8, when I had to do the incremental install to register it with the 10 upgrade.

Every driver loaded out of the box, without having to hunt them down.

Between 7 and 10. 10 runs like a Corvette against how 7 ran like a Camaro with a 4 banger.

8 ran worst than Vista on it, when I wanted to see how it could handle each OS as I stepped it up to the next.

Now for some really fun facts. The Raspberry Pi 2 & 3, run circles around the AMD E1 in both laptops we have, along with the Intel Core 2 Duo.

I just wished that in order to see how they could handle 10, if Microsoft would offer something more then 10 IoT.

bro67, Apr 27, 2016
  8. BunnyJ New Member

WHAT happened?

If the HDD did fail he would get past the BIOS start up and nothing would happen or he would get an error message to indicate that. But from what you originally posted it would seem that it's a BIOS error and resetting it would be a good place to start. But.. he needs to join and post for us to really help out.

BunnyJ, Apr 27, 2016
  9. gulliwog Win User
    Good point, we rather lost sight of the thread in the last few posts. Something else I forgot to mention but reading bro67 post reminded me of. The first time I noticed a problem with my own windows 10 installation was on the second day. Having tested out a good few programs etc. and believing that my system was stable I went into my BIOS and put my CPU overclock back. On my i7 2600K I have had a moderate stable OC between 3.8 - 4.2Ghz for years with no problem (generally running the higher clocks in the winter and lower in the summer). The moment I tried to reboot my system everything went crazy... for some reason Windows 10 conflicted with the OC and my machine wouldn't boot. It was stuck in a loop until my BIOS itself threw up a message about unstable overclock and the default parameters being reloaded (I think this is my Mobos way of dealing with bad OCs and is basically doing the same thing as jumping the Mobo) What is really weird for me is that despite resetting all my BIOS settings to how I had them before and rolling back to Windows 7 again this whole Win 10 conflict has permanently changed something in how my PC boots up and loads the OS, and I still can figure out what it changed, how it changed it and how significant the change is.

Anyway, concerning the Vinces friends problem, does he or did he have any overclocks in his BIOS when trying to run with Windows 10? You mentioned that he built his PC as a gaming system and gamers are probably the most common group of people who overclock their machines. Mine came from a CPU clock but maybe a RAM/SPD or other clock change could also be problematic. If he does then I think there is a very good chance that supports the theory of a Windows/BIOS conflict rather than anything to do with HDD corruption.

It would be nice if there were a little more info available about this subject. I always thought of the BIOS and the OS as two relatively separate things having little effect on one another, and so long as your BIOS settings are stable and correct for your hardware and system setup then the OS shouldn't have any problems with the specific settings. I realize of course that there is some crossover between BIOS and OS but I never expected Windows 10 to completely break my system when I try to OC it the same way as it was OC'd for years with Win 7.

I would be interested to know why these conflicts occur.

gulliwog, Apr 28, 2016
  10. Bunny, I agree with you that he needs to join this forum, but he won't. He is taking the machine back to the shop that built it. Because the system was steadily getting worse for a few days, it looked like a failing hard drive. But since he can't reach the splash screen now, it sounds like the BIOS.

Although he personally selected all the parts, he is not a technician and he does not know much about restoring hardware.

Vince Massi, Apr 28, 2016
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I think that's the best thing he can do right now. The people at the shop can do the diagnosis and get the job done. While we can help here he would have to have a more solid foundation on working with the PC, BIOS and OS.

BunnyJ, Apr 28, 2016
  12. bro67 Win User
    gulliwog let Gabe Aul who is running the Microsoft Windows 10 Insider program about the issue with overclocking. He does have a Twitter under @gabeAul. They are going into the final stages of the Redstone Build. It would not surprise me that a KB is causing the issue with the Over Clocking.

bro67, Apr 30, 2016
  13. bro67 Win User

WHAT happened?

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

WHAT happened?

1. WHAT happened? - Similar Threads - happened

2. all my usb devices disconnect then reconnect when im playing a game, this happens...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    all my usb devices disconnect then reconnect when im playing a game, this happens...: I have a keyboard, mouse and headset plugged in and the issue only seems to happen when im playing something. Ive tried using different ports, restarting my pc, updated all my drivers, gone into device manager and made sure usb devices arent being turned off automatically and...
  3. all my usb devices disconnect then reconnect when im playing a game, this happens...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    all my usb devices disconnect then reconnect when im playing a game, this happens...: I have a keyboard, mouse and headset plugged in and the issue only seems to happen when im playing something. Ive tried using different ports, restarting my pc, updated all my drivers, gone into device manager and made sure usb devices arent being turned off automatically and...
  4. Fps drops for 10-20 seconds and then going back to normal and happening again after 2-4 mins

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fps drops for 10-20 seconds and then going back to normal and happening again after 2-4 mins: Hello i have a Hp pavillion gaming laptop which has amd ryzen 5600h3.30ghz, 8 gigs of ram7.34 usable for some reason and gtx 1650 in it. it was working fine for 3 years but suddenly 3-4 days ago it started getting fps drops in almost all games. i used to play csgo 2 at...
  5. Fps drops for 10-20 seconds and then going back to normal and happening again after 2-4 mins

Fps drops for 10-20 seconds and then going back to normal and happening again after 2-4 mins: Hello i have a Hp pavillion gaming laptop which has amd ryzen 5600h3.30ghz, 8 gigs of ram7.34 usable for some reason and gtx 1650 in it. it was working fine for 3 years but suddenly 3-4 days ago it started getting fps drops in almost all games. i used to play csgo 2 at...
  6. Fps drops for 10-20 seconds and then going back to normal and happening again after 2-4 mins

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. What happened with Windows 11?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened with Windows 11?: I'm very, very disappointed with Microsoft. Windows 11 has gone backwards in its ability to do things conveniently, just as much, if not more then it has made advances. I use my computer for some of the simpler tasks, but rely on some of the convenience features for use.For...
  8. What happened with Windows 11?

What happened with Windows 11?: I'm very, very disappointed with Microsoft. Windows 11 has gone backwards in its ability to do things conveniently, just as much, if not more then it has made advances. I use my computer for some of the simpler tasks, but rely on some of the convenience features for use.For...
  9. My pc gets fps drops that drop to 3 fps and my audio sounds like static, this only happens...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My pc gets fps drops that drop to 3 fps and my audio sounds like static, this only happens...: When I start to play games my pc its fine for maybe 40 - 60 minutes, then I start to get random fps drops that drop to like 3 fps then my audio sounds like static, this only last for a few seconds but it starts to do it every 4 minutes or so....
  10. My pc gets fps drops that drop to 3 fps and my audio sounds like static, this only happens...

My pc gets fps drops that drop to 3 fps and my audio sounds like static, this only happens...: When I start to play games my pc its fine for maybe 40 - 60 minutes, then I start to get random fps drops that drop to like 3 fps then my audio sounds like static, this only last for a few seconds but it starts to do it every 4 minutes or so....