Windows 10: What happens if I alter files in an unlinked OneDrive space and then it relinks/syncs?

Discus and support What happens if I alter files in an unlinked OneDrive space and then it relinks/syncs? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; If I have a file that is on OneDrive, unlink OneDrive from my computer and untick on-demand files and edit that file locally will it be overwritten if... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by HFowles1, Apr 14, 2021.

1. HFowles1 Win User

What happens if I alter files in an unlinked OneDrive space and then it relinks/syncs?

If I have a file that is on OneDrive, unlink OneDrive from my computer and untick on-demand files and edit that file locally will it be overwritten if OneDrive syncs again?

The latter can apparently happen without my permission it did today, even though I had unlinked it and had not been prompted to log in, but since I'd moved all my files from that folder thankfully nothing was overwritten. But I'm worried if my files are in the space where OneDrive would save files from a sync it will mean the loss of any changes. Will it let me know if a sync would override a local file with a more recent edit date?

If I also unlink, have all my files locally, then delete them on OneDrive would a resync completely remove all my files? It's very unclear and I'm terrified that my files will be lost I want my files local because OneDrive doesn't work with my external backup drive & I don't want sensitive information stored on the cloud

:)

HFowles1, Apr 14, 2021
  2. Cliff S Win User

OneDrive Syncing!

Unlink OneDrive, recreate your folders, then choose what you want to sync, then relink. it.
    While you are at it, you can place OneDrive in another location(partition or disk).
    OneDrive - Unlink in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Cliff S, Apr 14, 2021
  3. Unlink Pictures Folder from OneDrive

Hello there,

I am attempting to unlink the Pictures folder in Windows 10 from OneDrive. I have far too many pictures currently and don't want to have them eat up up space. I believe I was able to do it before I reformatted my computer, but it no longer lets me bypass it. I get a message saying Can't stop syncing folder.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

What happens if I alter files in an unlinked OneDrive space and then it relinks/syncs? [​IMG]

LuLuLaMour, Apr 14, 2021
  4. markg2 Win User

What happens if I alter files in an unlinked OneDrive space and then it relinks/syncs?

Onedrive 'x' sync status problem

Office 365/Win10

I've developed an 'x' in the status column adjacent to several folders/files on the local instance of \Onedrive.

I've unlinked Onedrive, deleted any local 0KB files and found none to delete on the server. I relinked the account but the 'x's' are still there.

I then attempted to uninstall Onedrive "%SystemRoot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe /uninstall" and then install "%Systemroot%\SysWOW64\OneDriveSetup.exe". That didn't work. The installer said Onedrive was still installed.

So before I reboot and try that again I thought I'd run the problem by you all.

Any suggestions?

Mark

markg2, Apr 14, 2021
Thema:

1. What happens if I alter files in an unlinked OneDrive space and then it relinks/syncs? - Similar Threads - happens alter files

2. how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer: how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-unlink-and-then-relink-my-onedrive/04e0e57c-6f9f-4fe5-99a5-469332df2421
  3. how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer: how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-unlink-and-then-relink-my-onedrive/04e0e57c-6f9f-4fe5-99a5-469332df2421
  4. how do I unlink and then relink my onedrive account to my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Unlinking files from OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unlinking files from OneDrive: A week ago I installed sims 4 on my pc. Onedrive automatically, which is annoying in itself, decided to link the sims files. I only have 5 GB in total on my personal onedrive, so you can imagine what kind of problem the sims gaming files will create..So, I did the steps I...
  6. Unlinking files from OneDrive

Unlinking files from OneDrive: A week ago I installed sims 4 on my pc. Onedrive automatically, which is annoying in itself, decided to link the sims files. I only have 5 GB in total on my personal onedrive, so you can imagine what kind of problem the sims gaming files will create..So, I did the steps I...
  7. Relinking Windows 11 to OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Relinking Windows 11 to OneDrive: I followed the MS-supplied instructions in Unlink and re-link OneDrive and am unable to re-link OneDrive. I have also followed the steps on the Reset OneDrive article, to no avail. I took the additional step of uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it from the Microsoft...
  8. Relinking Windows 11 to OneDrive

Relinking Windows 11 to OneDrive: I followed the MS-supplied instructions in Unlink and re-link OneDrive and am unable to re-link OneDrive. I have also followed the steps on the Reset OneDrive article, to no avail. I took the additional step of uninstalling OneDrive and reinstalling it from the Microsoft...
  9. OneDrive Sync - space issues

OneDrive Sync - space issues: Hello, We have one user who is using OneDrive extensively around 60Gb data. OneDrive was unlinked/stopped syncing some time ago, might be a month or so. Now when we try to link the OneDrive again, it says there is no enough space for all that data 60Gb. But problem is,...
  10. OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive Sync altered many desktop files: Hello: Microsoft One Drive synched. As usual, it also synched many files I have on my desktop. While it was synching, I noticed many files on my desktop flickering and when that was done, they had green checks next to them. When the synching was done with, I noticed the...