Windows 10: What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires?

Discus and support What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi! I am trying to figure this out, but can not find any definite answers. I have a non-domain joined server with a share. And a user that has... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Hasselrot, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Hasselrot Win User

What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires?

Hi!

I am trying to figure this out, but can not find any definite answers.

I have a non-domain joined server with a share. And a user that has access to map that share.

This user does not have "Password never expires" enabled.

From my Client computer, I map up this share.

When my password expires, it seems to still work.

But for how long?

Is there a session time out?

Can it be changed?

Many thanks!

Lars Hasselrot

:)

Hasselrot, Mar 11, 2019

2. Password issue

After going through the steps to make a new password, after a week or two, my login credentials are no longer valid. I'm forced to make a new password all over again. It seems to happen if I don't login in a certain period of time. Does our passwords expire???

GoFigureItOut, Mar 11, 2019
  3. Kreij Win User
    Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

Okay .. I figured it all out.

Configuring Windows 95 so it can map Windows 7 shared folders.

You need to update Windows 95 so that it can utilitze NTLMv2 network protocols (and use 128 bit encryption for authentification).
    Nothing needs to be done on the Windows 7 machine other than sharing a drive or folder.

On the Windows 95 Machine you will need a local account with the same name and password as on the Win7 machine or in the domain.
    The Windows 95 computer does not have to be a member computer in the domain (ie. does not need domain authentification)

1) Install the Distributed File System client for Windows 95 (dfs41w95.exe)
    2) Install WinSock 2.0 (w95ws2setup.exe)
    3) Install Microsoft Dial-Up Network 1.3 (MSDUN13.exe)
    (I wasn't sure what msdun13 does to the TCP/IP stack so I reinstalled winsock2.0 again)
    4) Install Internet Explorer 4.01 SP2 / 32 bit (ie40sp2.exe ... you need this or step #6 will termintate without installing)
    5) Install Microsoft Installer 2.0 (InstMsiA.exe .. you need this so Windows 95 knows what to do with the .msi file in the next step)
    6) Install Distributed Services Client for Windows 9x (dsclient9x.msi)
    7) Go into the registry editor (regedit) and go to ...
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/CurrentControlSet/Control
    Create a Key named Lsa
    Create a DWORD in Lsa named LMCompatilbility with a hex value of "3".
    8) Reboot once more.

Mapping a network drive on a Windows 7 machine should now work.

Kreij, Mar 11, 2019
  4. Kreij Win User

Map Windows 7 Shared Folder to Win 95

I am able to map the folder shared by the Windows 7 machine on my XP Pro machine without problem.
    I cannot get the Windows 95 machine to map the folder shared by the Windows 7 machine.
    The Windows 95 machine will map a drive shared by an XP machine just fine.

Kreij, Mar 11, 2019
Thema:

1. What happens to a mapped windows share if password expires? - Similar Threads - happens mapped share

2. What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires: We use Windows 10 Enterprise via Microsoft 365 E3 plan KMS deploymentWe won't renew ME3 next year. When the license expires, will Windows return to Windows Pro?I found a few answers online, some say that only the advanced features of Win Enterprise are deactivated and Windows...
  3. What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires: We use Windows 10 Enterprise via Microsoft 365 E3 plan KMS deploymentWe won't renew ME3 next year. When the license expires, will Windows return to Windows Pro?I found a few answers online, some say that only the advanced features of Win Enterprise are deactivated and Windows...
  4. What will happen to Windows Enterprise when ME3 expires

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. What Happened To Sharing Videos In Forms?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What Happened To Sharing Videos In Forms?: This needs to be in the "Microsoft Forms" section, but I can't find Forms under any of the options provided.I've been creating surveys for a while with Microsoft Forms, embedding videos in my questions. Now, I am not able to embed videos. I can do an image search, get...
  6. What Happened To Sharing Videos In Forms?

What Happened To Sharing Videos In Forms?: This needs to be in the "Microsoft Forms" section, but I can't find Forms under any of the options provided.I've been creating surveys for a while with Microsoft Forms, embedding videos in my questions. Now, I am not able to embed videos. I can do an image search, get...
  7. What happened to my password?!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to my password?!: I just changed from local user to Microsoft Account and 1: my password dissapear, instead this is asking me a PIN and 2: I set a pin and then i needed to set it again because every boot my laptop founds this error related to the PIN.Is this a bug?...
  8. What happened to my password?!

What happened to my password?!: I just changed from local user to Microsoft Account and 1: my password dissapear, instead this is asking me a PIN and 2: I set a pin and then i needed to set it again because every boot my laptop founds this error related to the PIN.Is this a bug?...
  9. What happens when VM Windows expires?

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    What happens when VM Windows expires?: This question might be obvious to some people, but I've only had 11 days experience with a VM. I created the VM with a downloaded build 10586 ISO, and I was wondering about W10 expiring in less than 3 weeks. Will I be able to make a new VM with a new trial period, or will I...
  10. kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    kms license expiring - what to do and what will happen?: A couple of weeks ago, my laptop (windows 10 professional) started to give me a pop-up message that I have not seen in the 6 months that I've had it. "Your Windows License is Expiring Soon". I did some digging around using slmgr and apparently the license on this Windows...