Windows 10: What happens to digital license on old machine

Discus and support What happens to digital license on old machine in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I am building a new machine in the next few days. I have a digital license for Windows Pro 64 bit on the old machine. When installing Win10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by MStew, Apr 10, 2020.

1. MStew Win User

What happens to digital license on old machine

Hello,

I am building a new machine in the next few days. I have a digital license for Windows Pro 64 bit on the old machine.

When installing Win10 64 bit on the new machine I'd like to use that digital license to get the Pro features.

So, what happens to the old machine license? I'd like to run them side by side for a week or so to move data and make sure settings on the new machine are close to the old setup. Does it downgrade the old machine to Win10 Home? Is the old machine even usable for a short time?

Thanks,

Mark

:)

MStew, Apr 10, 2020

2. Digital License after transfer license to new computer

Uninstalling a product key does not deactivate the license, there is actually no deactivation method. You would still need to contact support to actually invalidate the license on the old machine, so it can reactivate on the new machine.

Transferring the license is a step by step process.

First, you either remove the license from the machine by formatting it.

Install it on the new machine.

Contact chat support, then reactivate.

Where Digital license is handy is when you are still using the machine and reinstall Windows 10 and need to reactivate the license after a significant hardware change, such as a hard disk.

Learn more:

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/transfer-window...

Andre Da Costa, Apr 10, 2020
  3. Digital License

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

4. What happens to digital license on old machine

digital license

Windows 10 Digital License

When you upgraded from a previous version of Windows or receive a new computer preinstalled with Windows 10, what happened is the hardware (your PC) will get a digital entitlement, where a unique signature of the computer will be stored on Microsoft
    Activation Servers. The Windows 7 or Windows 8 genuine license you were previously running will be exchanged for a diagnostics key.

Anytime you need to reinstall Windows 10 on that machine, just proceed to reinstall Windows 10. It will automatically reactivate. You will prompted to enter a product key a couple times through the installation, click I don't have
    a key and Do this later.

There is no need to know or get a new key, but if you have issues with Digital Licensing or the Activation Troubleshooter, you can utilize an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 product key you already own to
    reactivate if necessary. or use the reset function in Windows 10.

Activate Your Windows 10 License via Microsoft Chat Support

Reinstall by Performing a Direct Clean Install

If Windows 10 was already installed and activated on your system, just proceed to perform a direct clean install as described in the following articles.

Step 1: How
    to download official Windows 10 ISO files

Step 2:

Thema:

What happens to digital license on old machine

1. What happens to digital license on old machine - Similar Threads - happens digital license

2. Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine: HiI built a PC a few years ago and purchased a Windows 10 digital license through the Microsoft store. Recently I managed to spill a glass of water on the machine and it will no longer boot.I rebuilt a new PC and wish to transfer the license over from the old PC to the new...
  3. Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine: HiI built a PC a few years ago and purchased a Windows 10 digital license through the Microsoft store. Recently I managed to spill a glass of water on the machine and it will no longer boot.I rebuilt a new PC and wish to transfer the license over from the old PC to the new...
  4. Unable to activate windows digital license, new machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  6. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  7. Digital license and activation Old lap to PC

Digital license and activation Old lap to PC: Hello all, I have a laptop L1 and a desktop PC1 setup. The problem is that my laptop was wrecked two years back and no more in use. I took out the harddisk and is in use via an external cable. Now, I want to use the digital license from my old laptop to desktop by...
  8. What happens to the old PC after a license transfer?

What happens to the old PC after a license transfer?: I recently purchased a PC running Windows 10 Home. I have another PC which originally ran Windows 8, and which I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license on. I am planning to transfer the Windows 10 Pro license to the new PC. Is there any way to revert the old PC to Windows 8 or...
  9. What Happens to Windows 10 Pro Digital License (Purchased upgrade) after In-warranty...

What Happens to Windows 10 Pro Digital License (Purchased upgrade) after In-warranty...: Hello, I purchased a Surface Go with Windows 10 Home. Love it. Then upgraded to Windows 10 Pro at Microsoft Store. I dropped the thing, the screen shattered, machine broke (not booting up), and had it sent for hardware replacement. The hardware replacement comes with...
  10. Transferring Windows license: What happens to the old PC?

Transferring Windows license: What happens to the old PC?: If I have a PC purchased from the manufacturer, which comes with an OEM license for some Windows 10 edition installed on it, then I upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro or Education or Enterprise etc. using a product key, and then I want to transfer this license for the upgraded...