Windows 10: What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12

Discus and support What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12 in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; What happens with graphics cards that does not support directx 12 technology,are they going to get some improvements or not? Please answer on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by LukaRS, Aug 19, 2015.

1. LukaRS Win User

What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12

What happens with graphics cards that does not support directx 12 technology,are they going to get some improvements or not?
    Please answer on English (if you know what I mean) *Biggrin
    Thanks

:)

LukaRS, Aug 19, 2015
  2. LukaRS Win User

Directx 12 what happens to unsupported graphics cards?

What happens with graphics cards that does not support directx 12 technology,are they going to get some improvements or not?

Please answer on English (if you know what I mean) What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12 :D

Thanks

LukaRS, Aug 19, 2015
  3. 0xc000007b error message and DirectX errors on Windows 10

1.I dint install any third party graphics card on my pc

2.Yes, heres a photoWhat happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12 :(By the way my graphics card doesnt support DirectX 12

What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12 [​IMG]

Dekannnomad, Aug 19, 2015
  4. jds63 Win User

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  5. LukaRS Win User
    Well that's not answer its just list of graphics cards that support Directx 12,or did you wanted to say there will be no improvements on graphics cards that doesn't support Directx 12?

LukaRS, Aug 19, 2015
  6. jds63 Win User
    Be up to company makes and provides the drivers for your graphics card. Plus i believe a game or software as heard has to even use DirectX12 for your system to even use it. If video card supports DirectX 11 you'll be fine.

From Run command type dxdiag look there to see it

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  7. They won't see much, if any, improvement. Maybe a little due to less CPU overhead, but probably not anything really noticeable.

If your card is relatively recent, though, it probably has at least a little bit of DX12 support.

blackroseMD1, Aug 19, 2015
  8. Kanata Win User

Several older video cards have Windows 10 updated drivers but still will not support DirectX 12. I'm using an older GTX 260 on my Win 10 and it works perfectly with the EVGA Windows 10 drivers. The card should only support DirectX 10 but dxdiag says it's 11. I'll worry about it if and when I get some DirectX 12 software one day !

Kanata, Aug 19, 2015
  9. Traijan Win User
    I think that's pretty much it, you nailed it.

If a company makes their game DX12 only (hardware level dx) and you don't have a true DX12 (hardware level) card then you won't be able to run their software.

On the other hand I've seen plenty of companies that make their game have support for DX9, DX10, DX11 etc so that more people can buy it and run it.

As far as I know there are no games out so far that are DX12 exclusive so really it's not something to worry about, but if you want to be ready and are in the market for a new graphic card, then you may as well somewhat future proof yourself by buying a DX12 card for that day when they do start producing DX12 exclusive games.

My opinion here: Since MS is giving away the free upgrade to so many customers, I think that's going to push game developers to start developing for DX12 where as in the past they could pretty much stick to 9c and many of them did, so I think in a couple years time we'll start to see a big push of DX12 games.

I had to get a new graphics card recently (well.. I didn't have to, but I wanted to) so I bought a DX12 card even though I may not see a DX12 exclusive game for it ever made. I can only think of one of the 395 games that I have on steam that went with DX11 (DX11 Hardware level required) and it bit a bunch of people in the bum as they thought that by having DX11 (the software) that meant that their cards were true DX11 hardware compliant when it turned out that was not the case. So anyway, if you're in the market, then go for a DX12 card so that you're ready if the case should ever arrive.

Traijan, Aug 19, 2015
  10. eLPuSHeR Win User
    In my opinion dx12 is just hype. Heh, 90% of current games are still using DX9. Yes, I have read elsewhere that there are some dx12 titles being released on 2016 but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Remember Mantle? How many games do use it?

eLPuSHeR, Aug 19, 2015
  11. Traijan Win User
    I don't know, wasn't Mantle an AMD GPU only thing? Isn't DX12 OS level so it is used between both AMD and Nvidia?

Traijan, Aug 19, 2015
  12. jds63 Win User
    Seems like if your a gamer, then this is a concern mostly for you only.Unless will be with graphic software.

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  13. What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12

DX12 isn't just hype, especially if you're a gamer. It's a low level API that will cause marked improvement.

Yeah, I remember Mantle. I used it with Thief and my R9 280 that I had at the time. With Mantle on, I saw a 20+ FPS improvement in game. That's pretty significant.

Mantle was AMD only though, whereas DX12 will be widely adopted, the same way that DX11, 10, 9 etc all were.

Mantle off:

Mantle on:

That's the difference that a low level API can make.

blackroseMD1, Aug 19, 2015
  14. jds63 Win User
    Basically the chipset of the card that has to support DirectX 12.

jds63, Aug 19, 2015
  15. Maggelan Win User
    Amd left mantle open to any and all that wanted to use it including Nvidia.

The advantages of DX12 /Mantle/Vulcan are extraordinary to say the least.

Going from 7-10,000 draw calls per second to 13-15 million is nothing short of a massive win for gamers.

Let me put it to you this way, When you're GPU load says 100% that's a lie, It's about 10-20% of what the GPU can actually do. DX11 and below are single process only and can't do multiple streams of data. DX12 and there Ilk can send multiple streams of data depending on the number ACE paths to increase this work load.

Maxwell gpu's from Nvidia were there first to include multiple ACE paths above 4 or 6, If I recall correctly they have 8 or 16 paths.
    AMD on the other hand have been including them for longer due to their work on mantle. 290x has around 32 ACE paths and the 7970 has 16. I'm not sure what the Fury has.

All of a sudden those DX12 benchmarks are making sense yes? The reason AMD are seeing such a massive leap under DX12 is because of their work on mantle and building their GPU's for this change.

DX12 will allow you to have more on screen at any one time by using those fun loving ACE paths to gain a major hike in actual physical performance that dx11 doesn't have access to.

Right now you're data path looks like this 1--------1--------1--------1 (This is apparently 100% load under DX11) the blanks are ACE paths that can be used for compute load as well as other data streams just sat there doing nothing The 1's you see are the only paths that DX11 can use, Under DX12 or Mantle that data path becomes this 111111111111111111111111....see where it's going?

The API is also more efficient as well aside from the above hardware differences.

Why do you think some are so hyped about Async shader tech that has been around for years but DX11 can't use...

This shift away from single threaded API's is game changer for everyone. You get more performance while requiring less hardware.

Now OP as to what will happen to you're older GPU.

That entirely depends on the software vendor.
    Singularity is likely to be the first of many DX12 games to come out and I believe it launches this year. It will support at least DX11 and also DX12.

I can tell you that parts of that game look very different under DX12, specifically the amount of units visible on screen, and there traces from the fighting are all there where in DX11 they are not.

This year they are all supporting both next year once the gains are seen to be just too good and the sooner they can drop support for DX11 the better for them.
    The reason is this, You build a game that can run smooth as silk with 30,000 components on screen for DX12 all with there own moving bits and bobs making it more like 300,000 components and you look at you're masterpiece in awe and wonder.
    Those that play it in DX12 will see this.
    Those that play it in DX11 will see a fraction of that, possibly a barren wasteland with a few things dotted about instead.

Some companies are already ditching DX11 for all future games. That should tell you just how much they value the difference.

Maggelan, Aug 20, 2015
Thema:

1. What happens to graphics cards that doesnt support directx 12 - Similar Threads - happens graphics cards

2. Is DirectX 12 Ultimate supported by the GTX 1650?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is DirectX 12 Ultimate supported by the GTX 1650?: If supported how do I enable it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-directx-12-ultimate-supported-by-the-gtx-1650/a75b0571-654a-4d74-b860-1bbf6c183ab9
  3. Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?: So, what exactly does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directx-12-not-supported-what-does-it-mean/1f9e87e5-892a-4b9a-bc14-3a8d6ffb8757
  4. Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Directx 12 not supported? What does it mean?: So, what exactly does it mean https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/directx-12-not-supported-what-does-it-mean/1f9e87e5-892a-4b9a-bc14-3a8d6ffb8757
  5. Graphics Card not supported

in Windows 10 Customization
    Graphics Card not supported: I tried changing my graphics card for other applications. But the application does not run on the graphics card. I have tried reinstalling and uninstalling the driver. Every possible thing i have tried and none worked. You guys help...
  6. directx 12 not supporting

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    directx 12 not supporting: Few days earlier i buy msi gtx 750ti 2gb gpu The box of GPU clearly shown that the card support direct x12 But when i run dxdiag command it shows direct x12 on system tab But under display tab it shows direct x11 Please see the attachment 57250
  7. Need a Video Card that supports DirectX 12

Need a Video Card that supports DirectX 12: I am running Win10 Insider Preview! There is Pre Release 3D program. When it starts it checks to see if you computer can run the 3D program! Mine passes all the requirements except DirectX 12. I tried searching all video cards but none mentions if it supports DirectX...
  8. Graphics Card DirectX Issue

Graphics Card DirectX Issue: I have been trying to play Civilization 5 (an older game, I know, but it works fine on my Windows 10 laptop) and it keeps crashing on my Windows 10 desktop. Noticing that it runs in DirectX 9 mode fine and only crashes in DirectX 10/11 mode, I decided to look at my system's...
  9. W10 / DirectX 12 / 3d support

in Windows 10 Support
    W10 / DirectX 12 / 3d support: Hi there When I run dxdiag via run on W10 (build 9926) (in a VM or as native) It shows 3d support and direct3d acceleration IS enabled even though VMware message says 3d support not available on the Host. W10 comes with DirectX 12 but I don't think it does anything yet....
  10. Microsoft to make multiple graphics cards easier w/ DirectX 12 update

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft to make multiple graphics cards easier w/ DirectX 12 update: One of the most exciting aspects of DirectX 12 is that it allows users to pool together different video cards, with different models and performance, to improve a system’s power. But so far, that promise has only been sporadically fulfilled, because it’s up to developers to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. video card does not support directx 12