Windows 10: What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7?

Discus and support What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7? * Original title: windows 7 ends support * Moved from Windows... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by tarbarr, Apr 27, 2019.

1. tarbarr Win User

What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7?

What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7?

* Original title: windows 7 ends support

* Moved from Windows 7/Updates

:)

tarbarr, Apr 27, 2019

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7? [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Apr 27, 2019
  3. Microsoft Security Essentials

What is Microsoft Security Essentials?

TheLaughingMan, Apr 27, 2019
  4. What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7?

Windows 10 Windows Defender versus Microsoft Security Essentials

Hi Bryan,

Microsoft Security Essentials was upgraded to Windows defender and it was a default security software from Windows 8. You cannot have both as they are one.

Since you get this annoying popup at the startup i suggest you to disable any Microsoft Security Essentials entries in Startup tab.

• Open the Task manager. by pressing Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
    • click on Startup tab
    • Right click on Microsoft Security Essentials entry and click on Disable.

Restart the computer and check if that helps.

Waseemulla S, Apr 27, 2019
Thema:

1. What happens to Microsoft Security Essentials when you stop support of Windows 7? - Similar Threads - happens Microsoft Security

2. security essentials support for windows 7

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    security essentials support for windows 7: i run windows 7 i understand support stopped in jan ..ok why did i get a prompt to down load windows security essentials today ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/security-essentials-support-for-windows-7/e316f72b-ca3b-4e1e-8d9d-bd9e2bc8f3e6
  3. Security Essentials Update for Windows 7

Security Essentials Update for Windows 7: I received notification of an update today 1/30 for Security Essentials that says it was published yesterday. I haven't downloaded or installed it yet because I thought support had ended for Windows 7 and I am concerned this is not genuine. Is Microsoft still putting updates...
  4. Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive definition updates after support end: Microsoft Security Essentials will receive security definition updates after Windows 7 support ends despite Microsoft's earlier claims stating the contrary. Earlier this week, Microsoft stated in no uncertain terms that the company's security software Microsoft Security...
  5. Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials support ends on January 14, 2020

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 7: Microsoft Security Essentials support ends on January 14, 2020: Windows 7 Home users who protect their systems with the security software Microsoft Security Essentials will soon have to find a different product to protect their devices as Microsoft won't support the software anymore after support for the operating system ends. Microsoft...
  6. End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020

End of Support for Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows 7: January 14, 2020: Will Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) continue to protect my computer after the end of support? No, your Windows 7 computer is not protected by MSE after January 14, 2020. MSE is unique to Windows 7 and follows the same lifecycle dates for support. Learn more about MSE....
  7. microsoft security essentials

microsoft security essentials: I am seeing yellow for my "MSE" i am "trying to scan it so i clicked on a quick scan it still showing yellow so I take it that did not work. My question is in the settings where it says "run a scheduled scan" well the boxes are checked (i have no idea why or what anything I...
  8. Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7

Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7: For past week, the program has changed, every time it detects something a panel pops up up saying no action needed has been cleaned, but then MSE turns itself off computer slows down and it says computer needs to restart to complete cleaning, do that and then MSE is still...
  9. When will Microsoft Security Essentials virus defintion support end?

When will Microsoft Security Essentials virus defintion support end?: I am running Windows 7 with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). I know support for Win 7 ends Jan 2020 but will the virus definitions for MSE continue to be updated beyond this date or do I need to replace MSE with something else?...
  10. Microsoft Security Essentials

Microsoft Security Essentials: Today I find that the Security Essentials program keeps shutting down. I have tried to restart it several times just to have it shut down moments later. What is the problem?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. DEFENDING WINDOWS7 AFTER WITHDRAWAL OF MICROSOFT SUPPORT

2. windows 7 security essentials support

3. what will happen to windows phone when microsoft withdraw security