Windows 10: What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail?

Discus and support What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm thinking about buying a Windows 10 Pro licence for my laptop. It came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home; initially the single language version, but... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Jhonyrod, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Jhonyrod Win User

What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail?

I'm thinking about buying a Windows 10 Pro licence for my laptop. It came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home; initially the single language version, but I have since wiped that installation and used an international version with no ill effects.

Since the upgrade is not really cheaper that the retail "box" I'm leaning towards the latter.

The question is: what happens with my initial OEM licence if I use my newly acquired key to upgrade my installation in-place?

The scenario I'm thinking about is that there will come a time that I'll need to upgrade my machine; when such time comes I'd like to "detach" the Pro licence from my then old machine and transfer it to my new machine which I've read I shouldn't have any issues with, then I'd like to wipe and reinstall Windows 10 Home with my originally bundled key so that said computer can still be utilised. Is such scenario viable?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

:)

Jhonyrod, Dec 27, 2020
  2. Brink Win User

Simrick's idea to enter a Win10 Pro retail key worked

Thank you guys. Note added under step 5 below. What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail? :)

Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro

Brink, Dec 27, 2020
  3. MarkGPz Win User
    Win 7 OEM to 10 upgrade, will Retail key be allowed

I have a OEM Win 7 Pro system that upgraded to Win 10. Because it's OEM and upgraded to Win 10 I won't be able to move it to a new computer. If I purchase a Win 10 Pro Retail key can I use that key to upgrade the OEM that I
    have and move it to a new computer??

MarkGPz, Dec 27, 2020
  4. ZenTsang Win User

Transfer Win10 HOME Key (retail) to another PC after upgrading to PRO (retail)

As the subject line states...

I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME (retail) key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME (retail) to PRO (retail). I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text file. From
    my understanding, I go into System -> Change key and can put in the new PRO (retail) key to upgrade from HOME to PRO.

Once I do that... can I now use the HOME (retail) key on the older PC? Again... I keep stressing (retail) in this email because I fully understand that OEM keys / upgrades are retained for the PC they came installed on and are not transferable. However,
    both my HOME and PRO version are retail keys.

If the answer is YES ... please don't just say YES. Please provide the steps necessary to transfer the HOME key so I don't lose it accidentally.

Thanks.

ZenTsang, Dec 27, 2020
Thema:

1. What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail? - Similar Threads - happens Home OEM

2. Home to Pro upgrade on OEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Home to Pro upgrade on OEM: I have a pc with an OEM Windows 11 home license. If I purchase a Win 11 Pro upgrade, is the upgrade transferable in the event that I change PC and downgrade the original?...
  3. Home to Pro upgrade on OEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Home to Pro upgrade on OEM: I have a pc with an OEM Windows 11 home license. If I purchase a Win 11 Pro upgrade, is the upgrade transferable in the event that I change PC and downgrade the original?...
  4. Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade from win10 OEM Home to Retail Pro: Hello there,I got a new lenovo laptop with windows 10 oem home installed, and I want to upgrade it to retail pro through key I've purchased.Which is better: To just apply the upgrade or do clean install? Or it doesn't matter?Thank you...
  5. Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail

Transfer Win10 HOME Key retail to another PC after upgrading to PRO retail: As the subject line states... I have 2 PCs. One with a HOME retail key and one with no key but is an older PC ... let say it currently has no OS. I want to upgrade this newer PC from HOME retail to PRO retail. I have already retrieved the HOME key and saved into a text...
  6. Replace the Home OEM key with a Pro OEM key

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replace the Home OEM key with a Pro OEM key: Hi all, I ordered a new Ryzen 9 4900H laptop and it comes with Windows 10 Home. I am assuming this is OEM version of Windows and the product key is tied to the BIOS as per normal. I also have a spare Windows 10 Pro OEM key (not retail). If I wipe all partitions, and clean...
  7. OEm to Retail upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEm to Retail upgrade: i have a notebook that officialy installed windows 10 Home edition in it, with OEM license. so i can not move the windows to other device when this notebook is broken. if i upgrade it to Pro from Microsoft store, then does my Windows license will change to Retail "Full...
  8. Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM to Windows 10 Pro Retail: I have Windows 10 Pro Retail license previously in my old PC (own build) and now I bought a new Dell PC with Windows 10 Home OEM installed. How can I upgrade Windows 10 Home OEM in the Dell PC with Windows 10 Pro license from another PC? I don't use the old PC (own build)...
  9. OEM Home to PRO Retail

OEM Home to PRO Retail: I recently bought a Professional Retail Licence. After I the 1903 Update, I decided to perform clean install by using USB Drive. I added ei.cfg [EditionID] Professional [Channel] Retail [VL] 0 I also add pid.txt to automate install, After installation is complete. I...
  10. Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?

Can I upgrade OEM Win10 Home to Retail Win10 Pro?: Moving to a new PC that I'm building myself. Currently running Dell OEM Win10 Home. New PC will have Win10 Pro, MSDN (multi-activation or retail keys) version. My backup software can do a "system transfer" that will allow me to transfer everything (OS and applications) to...