Windows 10: What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard?

Discus and support What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Currently running a home media server on Win 10 with six physical drives in a Storage Spaces array. Everything's fine. But the hardware is getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RoadHazard, Dec 29, 2020.

1. What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard?

Currently running a home media server on Win 10 with six physical drives in a Storage Spaces array. Everything's fine.

But the hardware is getting old, so I'd like to replace the motherboard (including CPU, DRAM, etc.) with slightly newer hardware.

My question is, will this bork my Storage Spaces array? Or can I simply swap the mobo and plug the drives into the new motherboard SATA ports and everything will magically work? Does the the drive-to-SATA assignment have to be the same (i.e., physical drive #1 goes to SATA port A, drive #2 to SATA B, and so on)? Or is this not doable at all?

Any guidance greatly appreciated.

(Win 10 Pro Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.685)

:)

RoadHazard, Dec 29, 2020
  2. HairyFool Win User

Storage spaces and broken motherboard

When Windows creates the storage space drive it applies a signature to the drives to identify the type. So the storage space array should pick up in a new system. I say should because there have been some issues where it is read only due to hardware incompatibilities.

What is less likely is the original O/S drive working. In the 1st place there could be problems with drivers for the new motherboard which would prevent the system booting.

2nd If the computer came with Windows 8 it could be an OEM license which is not transferable to another computer. This includes replacing the motherboard. In addition the key may have been integrated into the motherboard. When you upgrade Windows 8 to Windows
    10 it would have taken on the terms of the original O/S so if 8 was OEM terms then so is 10.

HairyFool, Dec 29, 2020
  3. Storage Spaces - How to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM

I want to upgrade my 6 year old Motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc but I have 32TB (4 separate 8TB mechanical drives) setup in full backup in a Storage Space using Windows 10. How do make sure I don't lose all my data when I upgrade the Motherboard/CPU/etc? These
    are precious family videos, pictures etc. Can I just unplug the 4 different 8TB mechanical drives, then do the upgrade of the Motherboard/CPU/etc, then plug the 4 different 8TB mechanical drives back in? Is Windows 10 setup to recognize the pre-existing
    storage space? PLEASE HELP! My system is getting so slow b/c of the old components!!!!!

Thank you!

MarcWaggles, Dec 29, 2020
  4. What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard?

Storage Spaces - removal of disk in Simple array

I have a simple array set up in Storage Spaces that consists of 5 hard drives: four are 3TB and one is 2TB. I want to replace that 2TB with a larger drive, but it has 40.1 % of the disk being used (according to the Storage Spaces manager). I clicked "Remove" in the Storage Spaces Management screen, but the drive says "Preparing for removal". I tried optimizing the Storage Spaces to see if it would move the data to other drives, but it has not. Keep in mind I have 12.7TB total with only 6.54TB being used. I have plenty of space for this drive's data to be reallocated to other drives.

Is this possible? Or does having a Simple Array just pretty much make it impossible to replace disks?

bigtoeknee, Dec 29, 2020
Thema:

What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard?

1. What happens to my Storage Spaces array if I upgrade the motherboard? - Similar Threads - happens Storage Spaces

2. How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?: I have a Storage Spaces 3 disk parity array that suddenly had 2 drives marked as unhealthy and removed from the array nearly simultaneously. This of course took the drive associated with the array offline and should have rendered it unrecoverable, though I have not bothered...
  3. How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I unretire Storage Spaces drives in a parity array?: I have a Storage Spaces 3 disk parity array that suddenly had 2 drives marked as unhealthy and removed from the array nearly simultaneously. This of course took the drive associated with the array offline and should have rendered it unrecoverable, though I have not bothered...
  4. Storage Spaces USB Drive array - moving to a new computer

Storage Spaces USB Drive array - moving to a new computer: I have a Mediasonic 4-bay USB Drive enclosure that holds 4 x 4TB Seagate Drives. I have configured them to create a Storage Spaces pool with my Windows 11 computer. This pool is 14.5TB in size and I am using 8.48TB of it currently. When the Drives enclosure is connected to...
  5. What is happening to my storage space?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is happening to my storage space?: So I tried to download warframe again and my storage space was 107GB then it jumped to 72GB and then the game started downloading from the jumped to 72GB as if the other GBs didn't exist. I don't know why this is happening....
  6. What is happening to my storage space?

What is happening to my storage space?: So I tried to download warframe again and my storage space was 107GB then it jumped to 72GB and then the game started downloading from the jumped to 72GB as if the other GBs didn't exist. I don't know why this is happening....
  7. What happened to my disk space?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What happened to my disk space?: I wasn't connected to the internet when this happenedI deleted 2.7GB from my diskI only got 100mb extra free spaceWhat happened to the other 2.6GB? What's using it?...
  8. Storage Spaces - How to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Storage Spaces - How to upgrade motherboard/CPU/RAM: I want to upgrade my 6 year old Motherboard/CPU/RAM/etc but I have 32TB (4 separate 8TB mechanical drives) setup in full backup in a Storage Space using Windows 10. How do make sure I don't lose all my data when I upgrade the Motherboard/CPU/etc? These are precious family...
  9. upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    upgrading my motherboard, what happens to my license?: If I replace my motherboard, will I still keep my windows 10 license (free upgrade done)? My Windows Activated Product ID: 00330-80000-00000-AA178 Changing my motherboard from the old GA-EG31M-S2 to GA-H61M-S2V-B3 My hard-drive stays the same!...
  10. replace motherboard: what happens?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    replace motherboard: what happens?: If replaced original Foxconn N15235 motherboard (2007): chipset P4M890 Southbridge VT8237A CPU quadcore Q6600 2.4 GHz (socket LGA 775) with this one: Asus P5KPL-AM rev. 1.02g Chipset è Intel® G31 Intel ICH7 FSB è 1600*/1333/1066/800 MHz (*1600 is overclock...