Windows 10: What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro?

Discus and support What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hi there,I have a PC that came with retail Windows 11 Home prebuilt gaming PC, however I have been considering upgrading to Windows 11 Pro. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Jeidoban, Nov 26, 2022.

1. Jeidoban Win User

What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro?

Hi there,I have a PC that came with retail Windows 11 Home prebuilt gaming PC, however I have been considering upgrading to Windows 11 Pro. I have a friend that ended up with an extra full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro not an upgrade decided to give it to me since she has no use for it. In the settings app there's on option to change my product key, which is where I'm assuming I put in my product key. My question is, if I activate this version of windows on my PC already with Windows 11 Home, what happens to my Home license? Do I just end up losing it, or do I end up with two licenses of W

:)

Jeidoban, Nov 26, 2022
  2. JosephT71 Win User

Windows 11 Pro vs. Windows 11 Pro Upgrade

The most important difference is that the upgrade license has to be attached to the original base license.

1) If your original base license is a full retail Windows 11 Home license, then it becomes a full retail Windows 11 Pro license. This is a transferable license to another computer.

2) If your original base license is an OEM Windows 11 Home license, then it becomes an OEM Windows 11 Pro license. This is a non-transferable license.

JosephT71, Nov 26, 2022
  3. JBryan41 Win User
    Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

Want to upgrade 11 Home to 11 Pro. Tried download, but apparently files transferred were for 11 Enterprise. This will not activate; error is "invalid digital license or product key". This is on a new Surface. How to proceed?

Can withdraw/delete this. The suggestion to downgrade - listed below - with a 'fake' windows 10 key works.

JBryan41, Nov 26, 2022
  4. What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro?

Why is the MS Store not selling Windows 11 Pro in digital retail format?

I would like to know why Microsoft is not selling the retail version of Windows 11 Pro via their MS store in the first place even though Win11 has been out for almost a month by now.

The reason why I ask is I want to buy my own retail copy of Windows 11 Pro as I want to keep my digital retail copy of Windows 10 Pro untouched as I am strongly against free upgrade offers of any kind that could render my Win10Pro license upgraded to Win11Pro useless and non-transferrable to another future PC build of my choosing. I learned that the hard way when I pressured myself to upgrade to 10 Pro from 7 Ultimate several years back which I regretted afterwards and ended up buying my own retail license of Windows 10 Pro back then for the sake of having my own copy for record keeping purposes.

Another reason why I am strongly against the free upgrade to 11 from 10 is that even having an entitlement based upgrade license is known to leave a pretty long digital paper trail that can be traced back to my owned retail license of Win10Pro for MS to keep tabs on, in which buying my own retail license of Win11Pro straight from MS has no such thing but a clean slate.

Remember, free upgrades AREN'T TRUELY FREE! Microsoft had to pay for their free upgrade offer to 11 from 10 in order for consumers to get it for free at MS's expense!

CitricMender249, Nov 26, 2022
Thema:

What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro?

1. What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro? - Similar Threads - happens Home license

2. Windows 11 Home FPP upgraded to Pro ... What happens to the Home license ? Could it be...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Home FPP upgraded to Pro ... What happens to the Home license ? Could it be...: Windows 11 Home FPP upgraded to Pro ... What happens to the Home license ? Could it be used to other computer ?Do not make me share my laptops info I think it is not adequate , nonsense to ask for that for to answer this question !...
  3. Windows 11 Home FPP upgraded to Pro ... What happens to the Home license ? Could it be...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Home FPP upgraded to Pro ... What happens to the Home license ? Could it be...: Windows 11 Home FPP upgraded to Pro ... What happens to the Home license ? Could it be used to other computer ?Do not make me share my laptops info I think it is not adequate , nonsense to ask for that for to answer this question !...
  4. What happens to a Windows 11 Pro PC without internet access when its retail license is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens to a Windows 11 Pro PC without internet access when its retail license is...: I currently have a PC running Windows 11 Pro. The license is a retail one USB stick. I want to use this PC as an air-gapped server no internet access for a CCTV system and transfer the license to a new custom-built PC that will have internet access. I am assuming that...
  5. What happens to a Windows 11 Pro PC without internet access when its retail license is...

What happens to a Windows 11 Pro PC without internet access when its retail license is...: I currently have a PC running Windows 11 Pro. The license is a retail one USB stick. I want to use this PC as an air-gapped server no internet access for a CCTV system and transfer the license to a new custom-built PC that will have internet access. I am assuming that...
  6. Free upgrade from Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro using 10 Pro retail license

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Free upgrade from Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro using 10 Pro retail license: My current computer has an activated Windows 10 Pro retail license. I'm planning to replace my current computer by buying a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows 11 Home, and then I understand I can use my 10 Pro license to upgrade to 11 Pro for free.What's the...
  7. Free upgrade from Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro using 10 Pro retail license

Free upgrade from Windows 11 Home to 11 Pro using 10 Pro retail license: My current computer has an activated Windows 10 Pro retail license. I'm planning to replace my current computer by buying a new computer that comes preinstalled with Windows 11 Home, and then I understand I can use my 10 Pro license to upgrade to 11 Pro for free.What's the...
  8. What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro?

What happens to my Windows 11 Home license if switch to a full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro?: Hi there,I have a PC that came with retail Windows 11 Home prebuilt gaming PC, however I have been considering upgrading to Windows 11 Pro. I have a friend that ended up with an extra full retail copy of Windows 11 Pro not an upgrade decided to give it to me since she has no...
  9. Does my retail Windows 10 Home license free up if I upgrade to a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Does my retail Windows 10 Home license free up if I upgrade to a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro?: I have a computer where I bought a retail copy of Windows 10 Home and I installed it on my computer. However, I found out recently that I need some features from Windows 10 Pro to do the work I need to do. I was able to purchase a retail copy of Windows 10 Pro.Now what I'm...
  10. What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    What happens to my Home OEM key if I upgrade to Pro retail?: I'm thinking about buying a Windows 10 Pro licence for my laptop. It came preinstalled with Windows 10 Home; initially the single language version, but I have since wiped that installation and used an international version with no ill effects. Since the upgrade is not...