Windows 10: What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

Discus and support What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sithtiger, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Sithtiger Win User

What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know.

:)

Sithtiger, Jul 11, 2015

2. After the Windows 10 free upgrade: What happens if we need to replace a component?

Depends on the component. If it is the motherboard the free copy of Windows 10 is gone and a retail copy of Windows 10 will be required. Things like video cards (I replaced one post-installation with no problems) and hard drives won't be a problem.

If the free Windows 10 is lost due to a hardware replacement in the first year, just re-install the original Windows and upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Cbarnhorst, Jul 11, 2015
  3. pmdci Win User
    After the Windows 10 free upgrade: What happens if we need to replace a component?

Hi,

This question is being asked on behalf of some family members who live by the seaside.

Most of my family members are desktop users, and I built their desktop machines myself with selected components. We also obtained legitimate retail copies of Windows 7 for all of those.

The cost of the Atlantic ocean can be a be quite harsh on electronics in certain places, and it is unfortunate that sometimes my one might need to replace a motherboard earlier than expected.

I wonder what would happen to the Windows 10 activation in such cases? My concern is that perfect legitimate license of Windows 10 might be lost in such cases.

Regards,

P.

pmdci, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

you can upgrade for free within the first year of release - after the one year - you'll have to purchase windows 10 to upgrade

5. Sithtiger Win User
    Thanks Kyhi...that's what I thought.

Sithtiger, Jul 11, 2015
  6. Victek Win User
    Do you mean will Microsoft create a subscription service for Windows 10 updates? I don't believe anyone knows at the moment. There's no point in speculating and being paranoid about this IMHO (and I'm not saying that you are).

Victek, Jul 11, 2015
  7. Charlie Win User
    Charlie, Jul 11, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

No.. there will not be a subscription service.. Win10 will be free for the life of the device for updates/upgrades. No charge. There is no speculation on that subject. MS has made it perfectly clear.

BunnyJ, Jul 11, 2015
  9. Victek Win User
    Actually there's plenty of speculation, but it's all FUD as far as I can tell *Nerd.

Victek, Jul 11, 2015
  10. Or to better clarify: ALL Windows 10 licenses are permanent for the life of the device (meaning until the device is unrepairable or thrown out); just that if you have an eligible setup you can - until July 30th of 2016 - upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost.

FuturDreamz, Jul 11, 2015
  11. I think what the OP was asking is if future versions of Windows will be on a subscription basis. I hear from CNet or ZDnet that they will be charging a subscription fee for future upgrades to Windows 10. So basically after July 29th 2016, you will have to subscribe to receive updates (not security patches, but feature updates). That is only speculation at this point. Nobody really knows what is going on inside that giant head that is Microsoft.

Snarks*Cool

SnarkyTwit, Jul 11, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Again.. no. This is not true and MS will not be charging a subscription fee after July 2th of next year.
    Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - PC Gamer

BunnyJ, Jul 12, 2015
  13. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

If you do the free upgrade, it is then free for the life of that device. There will not be any fees or charges after the one year period expires for that upgraded device. If that's what your wondering. If you wait until after the one year free grace period expires to upgrade your paying to upgrade. Even then, once you upgrade, there are no further fees or hidden charges. That's my understanding based on what I have read/stated by Microsoft. It's getting very hard lately to separate fact from fiction as may sites seem to have their own interpretation on what was said. Then it gets repeated on another site, and eventually after being said many times it gets taken as fact when its not.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year? - Similar Threads - Happens Free Upgrade

2. Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore: Hi. I bought an ASUS pc with win10 a while back and it offered to upgrade to 11 during initial setup/startup. I was going to give it to a family member and want all my personal stuff removed. I thouight maybe reset would be easiest to remove everything but not sure what will...
  3. Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore: Hi. I bought an ASUS pc with win10 a while back and it offered to upgrade to 11 during initial setup/startup. I was going to give it to a family member and want all my personal stuff removed. I thouight maybe reset would be easiest to remove everything but not sure what will...
  4. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  5. Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 to Win 11 upgrade >>> What happens to digital license?: Hello,I am planning to upgrade my Win 10 Pro machine to Win 11 Pro. I currently have a digital license.If, say six month from now, I decided I was not a fan of Win 11 and wanted to go back to Win 10, would that be possible? If I fully formatted my machine, and installed a...
  6. Win 10 Free Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 10 Free Upgrade: I still have Win 8.1 Pro in one of my pc's. Is it too late to upgrade to Win 10 Pro for free. If so what would be the process.Win https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-free-upgrade/6c5b0473-a789-4832-918f-0579fdb5c9d2
  7. Free upgrade during the first year

in Windows 10 Support
    Free upgrade during the first year: Sounds good, too good to be 'true'? No matter what I think of Windows 10, it would be kinda stupid not to take up Microsoft on the free upgrade particularly if, like me, you have a standby build of your OS on a separate HD just in case the main drive crashed which I would...
  8. What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?

in Windows 10 News
    What happens to those free Windows 10 upgrades after July 29, 2016?: sdfsdfasdf [This article has been significantly revised and updated since its original publication. in January 2016] Microsoft's ambitious plan to get Windows 10 running on a billion devices within the next few years depends to a large extent on the success of its...
  9. Any word what happens after the year is up?

in Windows 10 Support
    Any word what happens after the year is up?: For those of us who got the free upgrade to Windows 10 Home and/or Pro, has Microsoft released any details at all on what's going to happen with our upgrade keys? Are we going to be forced to go out and purchase a retail copy? Honestly, we shouldn't have to. . They did say...
  10. Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison

in Windows 10 Support
    Is Windows 10 free for first year is it a free upgrade? OEM Verison: Microsoft Windows 10 free upgrade: five questions answered | Technology | The Guardian "I read somewhere that the free upgrade to Windows 10 will expire after one year and that the user will then have to pay for the upgrade. Is this so? AlasdairNo, that’s completely...