What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

Discus and support What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Sithtiger, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Sithtiger Win User

Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know.

:)

Sithtiger, Jul 11, 2015
  2. Cbarnhorst Win User

After the Windows 10 free upgrade: What happens if we need to replace a component?

Depends on the component. If it is the motherboard the free copy of Windows 10 is gone and a retail copy of Windows 10 will be required. Things like video cards (I replaced one post-installation with no problems) and hard drives won't be a problem.

If the free Windows 10 is lost due to a hardware replacement in the first year, just re-install the original Windows and upgrade to Windows 10 again.

Cbarnhorst, Jul 11, 2015
  3. pmdci Win User
    After the Windows 10 free upgrade: What happens if we need to replace a component?

Hi,

This question is being asked on behalf of some family members who live by the seaside.

Most of my family members are desktop users, and I built their desktop machines myself with selected components. We also obtained legitimate retail copies of Windows 7 for all of those.

The cost of the Atlantic ocean can be a be quite harsh on electronics in certain places, and it is unfortunate that sometimes my one might need to replace a motherboard earlier than expected.

I wonder what would happen to the Windows 10 activation in such cases? My concern is that perfect legitimate license of Windows 10 might be lost in such cases.

Regards,

P.

pmdci, Jul 11, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

you can upgrade for free within the first year of release - after the one year - you'll have to purchase windows 10 to upgrade

5. Sithtiger Win User
    Thanks Kyhi...that's what I thought.

Sithtiger, Jul 11, 2015
  6. Victek Win User
    Do you mean will Microsoft create a subscription service for Windows 10 updates? I don't believe anyone knows at the moment. There's no point in speculating and being paranoid about this IMHO (and I'm not saying that you are).

Victek, Jul 11, 2015
  7. Charlie Win User
    Charlie, Jul 11, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

No.. there will not be a subscription service.. Win10 will be free for the life of the device for updates/upgrades. No charge. There is no speculation on that subject. MS has made it perfectly clear.

BunnyJ, Jul 11, 2015
  9. Victek Win User
    Actually there's plenty of speculation, but it's all FUD as far as I can tell *Nerd.

Victek, Jul 11, 2015
  10. FuturDreamz Win User
    Or to better clarify: ALL Windows 10 licenses are permanent for the life of the device (meaning until the device is unrepairable or thrown out); just that if you have an eligible setup you can - until July 30th of 2016 - upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost.

FuturDreamz, Jul 11, 2015
  11. SnarkyTwit Win User
    I think what the OP was asking is if future versions of Windows will be on a subscription basis. I hear from CNet or ZDnet that they will be charging a subscription fee for future upgrades to Windows 10. So basically after July 29th 2016, you will have to subscribe to receive updates (not security patches, but feature updates). That is only speculation at this point. Nobody really knows what is going on inside that giant head that is Microsoft.

Snarks*Cool

SnarkyTwit, Jul 11, 2015
  12. BunnyJ New Member
    Again.. no. This is not true and MS will not be charging a subscription fee after July 2th of next year.
    Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - PC Gamer

BunnyJ, Jul 12, 2015
  13. alphanumeric New Member

If you do the free upgrade, it is then free for the life of that device. There will not be any fees or charges after the one year period expires for that upgraded device. If that's what your wondering. If you wait until after the one year free grace period expires to upgrade your paying to upgrade. Even then, once you upgrade, there are no further fees or hidden charges. That's my understanding based on what I have read/stated by Microsoft. It's getting very hard lately to separate fact from fiction as may sites seem to have their own interpretation on what was said. Then it gets repeated on another site, and eventually after being said many times it gets taken as fact when its not.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year? - Similar Threads - Happens Free Upgrade

2. windows 10 mail app

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows 10 mail app: My windows mail app does not open any links https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/apps_windows_10-outlook_mail/windows-10-mail-app/07ef5d8a-a07f-4cfd-b930-3ff5cbf33e41
  3. Cannot uninstall Snap Attack (Windows 10 store game)

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot uninstall Snap Attack (Windows 10 store game): The Snap Attack game (a.k.a. "Wordament Snap Attack") was retired as of May 18, 2018. The game can no longer be played (online or offline) and is no longer available for download. Given this, I see no need to keep it on my system. Operating system: Windows 10 Home...
  4. Windows 10 April Update black screen

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 April Update black screen: I have a Dell Inspiron 14 3451 laptop with Intel Celeron N2840 processor. Each time i try to upgrade to the April update, my laptop works for a few seconds then the screen turns black. I had to downgrade to the Fall creators update as a result. Is this because of the graphics...
  5. [BUG] Windows 10 OneDrive @ Default Settings Causing Major Issues With Security Permissions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    [BUG] Windows 10 OneDrive @ Default Settings Causing Major Issues With Security Permissions: I came across this post, when researching the issue of security permissions being grayed out and not having the ability to save files. I then noticed this post was dated August 2015. Could this still be an issue with One Drive? My problem with not being able to save files...
  6. Hp pavilion won't access windows 10

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hp pavilion won't access windows 10: Hello i need help my hp Pavilion which cost me a lot of money and i just got it a little over a month ago is telling me that it cant access windows 10 and i have no idea how to fix it and everything ive tried hasnt worked is there any way to contact an employee that can walk...
  7. Uisng windows 10, HP officejet 6968 does not print in color

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Uisng windows 10, HP officejet 6968 does not print in color: The printer makes copies in color. In Windows 10 settings on my HP laptop, there is no option to select color. In "printing preferences" the paper/quality section only gives a an option labelled "print in grayscale"....
  8. Microsoft 10 - blue tooth icon disappeared

Microsoft 10 - blue tooth icon disappeared: My bluetooth icon has disappeared from the Device Manager. I was using a bluetooth mouse for most of the morning and then around 12:30pm PST my mouse started to act flaky. I did updates, but still do not have the option to turn On/Off bluetooth. Perhaps I hit some key...
  9. Windows 10 - Update Done and Touchscreen Driver Apparently gone

Windows 10 - Update Done and Touchscreen Driver Apparently gone: I updated my computer, and was on the phone for 45 minutes with a rep while we reset my entire system. I went into the Device Manager and looked under Human Interface Devices, and apparently my touchscreen driver is missing. Where can I download the touchscreen driver...
  10. Windows 10 Mobile Keyboard after August 18 update.

Windows 10 Mobile Keyboard after August 18 update.: I loaded an update today and now the spacebar in the keyboard does not work. How do I revert to the previous version so that I can send sensible messages. Moved from: Microsoft Lumia and Nokia Lumia / Using Windows 10 on phone...