Windows 10: What happens to the old PC after a license transfer?

Discus and support What happens to the old PC after a license transfer? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I recently purchased a PC running Windows 10 Home. I have another PC which originally ran Windows 8, and which I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by elizabop, Jun 27, 2020.

1. elizabop Win User

What happens to the old PC after a license transfer?

I recently purchased a PC running Windows 10 Home.

I have another PC which originally ran Windows 8, and which I purchased a Windows 10 Pro license on. I am planning to transfer the Windows 10 Pro license to the new PC.

Is there any way to revert the old PC to Windows 8 or 10 Home? I just want to encrypt the new one so I can use it for work, and have the old one to be operable for personal use.

:)

elizabop, Jun 27, 2020
  2. MStew Win User

What happens to digital license on old machine

Hi Dave,

It is a Retail license, upgrade from Win7.

I'm pretty sure the license will activate on the new machine. To my understanding, it will deactivate on the old machine. But, I still want to work on the old machine for a week. Then, toss the old machine into the middle of the street and run over it (I
    will pick up the pieces). It's not even worth giving away.

So, what I'm trying to answer is 'what happens to functionality of the old machine/license AFTER I activate on the new machine?'

Thanks,

Mark

MStew, Jun 27, 2020
  3. OYRC Win User
    Transferring Windows license: What happens to the old PC?

If I have a PC purchased from the manufacturer, which comes with an OEM license for some Windows 10 edition installed on it, then I upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro or Education or Enterprise etc. using a product key, and then I want to transfer this license
    for the upgraded version to a different PC somewhere down the line (using the method outlined in

this
    article for example), then what happens to the old PC? Is it possible to revert it to the OEM license for the Windows 10 edition that it originally came with, or is it bound to remain unactivated until a new product key is used on it?

Is there any difference between cases depending on which edition the OEM license or product key is for?

Regards,

4. MStew Win User

What happens to digital license on old machine

Hello,

I am building a new machine in the next few days. I have a digital license for Windows Pro 64 bit on the old machine.

When installing Win10 64 bit on the new machine I'd like to use that digital license to get the Pro features.

So, what happens to the old machine license? I'd like to run them side by side for a week or so to move data and make sure settings on the new machine are close to the old setup. Does it downgrade the old machine to Win10 Home? Is the old machine even usable
    (for a short time)?

Thanks,

Mark

MStew, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

1. What happens to the old PC after a license transfer? - Similar Threads - happens old license

2. Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC: I have an old PC with Retail Windows 10 upgraded from windows 8 installed and digitally linked to my Microsoft account outlook email. I assembled a new PC new device name and would like to transfer this license to this new PC. Based on the advice from the community, I login...
  3. Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC: I have an old PC with Retail Windows 10 upgraded from windows 8 installed and digitally linked to my Microsoft account outlook email. I assembled a new PC new device name and would like to transfer this license to this new PC. Based on the advice from the community, I login...
  4. Cannot transfer windows 10 license from old PC to new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Remove windows digital license from old pc to transfer it to new pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Remove windows digital license from old pc to transfer it to new pc: I have deactivated the digital license from old pc installed the new windows version to my new pc . I log in my microsoft acc and in my new pc its still showing not activated. Even if i run pc audit it shows my l25 character license key entered . As soon as i rest old pc or...
  6. Remove windows digital license from old pc to transfer it to new pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Remove windows digital license from old pc to transfer it to new pc: I have deactivated the digital license from old pc installed the new windows version to my new pc . I log in my microsoft acc and in my new pc its still showing not activated. Even if i run pc audit it shows my l25 character license key entered . As soon as i rest old pc or...
  7. Transfer license from Old to new PC without removing old key first.

Transfer license from Old to new PC without removing old key first.: There are quite a few articles on transferring a license from an old to a new PC, but all of them suggest that you disable the old PC before transferring to a new PC. I don't wish to do it that way as I don't want to be in a situation where I don't have a PC. My license is...
  8. License transfer from old PC

License transfer from old PC: Hi there,I'm trying to transfer a windows license from my old PC to my new one.My current PC has Windows 10 Home while my old PC has Windows 10 Pro.I've tried contacting support but it doesn't give me the required help.When asking to speak to somebody it encounters an...
  9. What happens to digital license on old machine

What happens to digital license on old machine: Hello, I am building a new machine in the next few days. I have a digital license for Windows Pro 64 bit on the old machine. When installing Win10 64 bit on the new machine I'd like to use that digital license to get the Pro features. So, what happens to the old...
  10. Transferring Windows license: What happens to the old PC?

Transferring Windows license: What happens to the old PC?: If I have a PC purchased from the manufacturer, which comes with an OEM license for some Windows 10 edition installed on it, then I upgrade it to Windows 10 Pro or Education or Enterprise etc. using a product key, and then I want to transfer this license for the upgraded...